Property Taxes - How much do you pay annually?

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
where'd you grow up?

Tecumseh, MI. Don't want to go back there specifically, but the general area (SE MI) is home to me... And MI has plenty of its own leadership issues and black eyes, but you forgive those things when it's "home". It is pretty annoying watching IL stumble over political and leadership issues we watched topple the entirety of MI though.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
That's how hospitals worked until 1986.

Congress passed EMTALA to eliminate the practice of "patient dumping," i.e., refusal to treat people because of inability to pay or insufficient insurance, or transferring or discharging emergency patients on the basis of high anticipated diagnosis and treatment costs. The law applies when an individual seeks treatment for a medical condition "or a request is made on the individual's behalf for examination or treatment for that medical condition."[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

How do you think the Congress that passes laws like this to protect you is funded?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
$11,196.85 for 2016 tax year
zillow estimate is $272k
realistically, i think it's more like $250k

no water front or anything just in a neighborhood

lake county, one of top 50 taxed in US, i believe #1 in midwest
in it there are 16 townships, i believe mine is #2 highest

have fought in the past twice, basically did nothing (didn't enlist one of those people that help and take a percent of win or whatever, everything i did to fight seemed valid though)

2300 sq ft

basically pay really expensive taxes to not send my cats to local schools. painful burden split among my brother and i, only thing that makes it semi-tolerable, i guess. he lives really close to work. he'd happily move for more space for outdoor activities though.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Mine were about $13K last year.

OP is hilarious with his "I shouldn't pay taxes" shtick.

Wants infrastructure to use, police to protect him, government to run the whole thing, but doesn't want to help pay for it all.

Sounds reasonable.

new hampshire has high (although probably not high to me...) taxes and no state income tax. there's some school of economics (georgian or something?) - i know michael hudson is a big fan of, former economic advisor of dennis kucinich and a guy who did great work on the housing bubble - who argues property tax is among the best and fairest taxes. as taxes used for investing and improving an area raise the value of that property as well.

i personally bought at the height of the bubble, but my house was owned by baxter for some reason, who just wanted it off the books and sold it to me basically at their 2001 purchase price, 242,500. my taxes went were 8k then.

got lucky not being fucked by the bubble, poorly chose somewhere with expensive schools i ain't sending shit to though. i don't mind paying for schools, i do mind paying this much for schools, fuck me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info