🚘 Automotive Picked up a side gig

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I wished I would have used an inspection service a few times when something is out of state and there is no time or too far to go check it out. That $250 can save huge headaches later, money well spent in my book.

For most they keep their car for a few years so for the cost it’s worth it, if you are swapping out cars all the time then no, not with with .

so far only had one turd of a car it was a Lincoln Blackwood… car was mess. Nothing worked as it should, and just worn out.

Reactions: Fish and frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I wished I would have used an inspection service a few times when something is out of state and there is no time or too far to go check it out. That $250 can save huge headaches later, money well spent in my book.
Few of the cars I inspected was like why am I here doing this as the car was super clean. But yes nice to have another set of eyes just it look it over for a second opinion.

Reactions: blue-sun

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

Well I can tell you they are not all created equal. About 8 years ago. My wife and I were interested in a 2008 Saleen Mustang that was located in Detroit. In order to complete the loan process we had to have an inspection that loan company had hired.

I was told everything was A-OK good to go. We drove up to Detroit and the car was extremely filthy. Broken power seat switches, pulley was screeching badly and I was told the convertible which was far from new with tape and glue holding it somewhat together inside.

Since I was there the owner kept telling me to take it for a drive. I told him it was not a good idea with a bad pulley. He kept insisting so we did drive it. Fucking pulley seizes and the belt breaks. I pulled over and the owner was completely oblivious to the situation. He did not believe me when I told him what happened until I popped the hood open.

That Saleen was a huge POS and the seller was extremely upset I was not buying the car. It was the farthest thing from being A-OK from an inspection service. Seller would not give me back my $200 deposit. Only gave me back $100 so I did a massive massive burn out in front of his home.

So that my two cents.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Well I can tell you they are not all created equal. About 8 years ago. My wife and I were interested in a 2008 Saleen Mustang that was located in Detroit. In order to complete the loan process we had to have an inspection that loan company had hired.

I was told everything was A-OK good to go. We drove up to Detroit and the car was extremely filthy. Broken power seat switches, pulley was screeching badly and I was told the convertible which was far from new with tape and glue holding it somewhat together inside.

Since I was there the owner kept telling me to take it for a drive. I told him it was not a good idea with a bad pulley. He kept insisting so we did drive it. Fucking pulley seizes and the belt breaks. I pulled over and the owner was completely oblivious to the situation. He did not believe me when I told him what happened until I popped the hood open.

That Saleen was a huge POS and the seller was extremely upset I was not buying the car. It was the farthest thing from being A-OK from an inspection service. Seller would not give me back my $200 deposit. Only gave me back $100 so I did a massive massive burn out in front of his home.

So that my two cents.

First mistake was trying to buy a 3v mustang. Lol glad u walked away

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
First mistake was trying to buy a 3v mustang. Lol glad u walked away
She wanted it. LOLzzzz

giphy.gif

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’m going to fill out the application tomorrow for this company, maybe a few others.

How much work do they throw at you? Like do you give them a schedule and a territory? I’m curious how it works. From where I’m at I can be in Chicago, Rockford, Joliet, Milwaukee, Janesville or Madison within 90 min so I‘d think I’m pretty flexible in that regard.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I’m going to fill out the application tomorrow for this company, maybe a few others.

How much work do they throw at you? Like do you give them a schedule and a territory? I’m curious how it works. From where I’m at I can be in Chicago, Rockford, Joliet, Milwaukee, Janesville or Madison within 90 min so I‘d think I’m pretty flexible in that regard.

l would pick an area that you are in mostly or close to where you live or work makes it easier to get to location but they keep you close to a 40 mile radius or so.

work wise one week I can be booked daily other weeks slower, but that is my area which is Sarasota and the surrounding area. would like to know what the Chicago area and surrounding have as in work wise.

Also if you really wanted to after a few cars or months and get the ideal of how it works, super easy to start up your own inspection company, and keep all the profits etc… biggest expense would be technology and then advertising on car / rv/ motorcycle sale sites.

Im sure you could do really well in the farm and big truck inspections with your background.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
l would pick an area that you are in mostly or close to where you live or work makes it easier to get to location but they keep you close to a 40 mile radius or so.

work wise one week I can be booked daily other weeks slower, but that is my area which is Sarasota and the surrounding area. would like to know what the Chicago area and surrounding have as in work wise.

Also if you really wanted to after a few cars or months and get the ideal of how it works, super easy to start up your own inspection company, and keep all the profits etc… biggest expense would be technology and then advertising on car / rv/ motorcycle sale sites.

Im sure you could do really well in the farm and big truck inspections with your background.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking... things will be slowing down for the winter and I’ll have some free time on my hands. I’m close enough to three major auction yards and am familiar with construction and AG equipment as well as all the trucks, arial equipment, etc...

I just bought a Prius today at an auction for running out to inspections and shit. Seems like the perfect vehicle for running around doing this stuff as well.

Reactions: frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
frank frank I sent in the “application” for my area. Probably best if someone contacts me on the phone, my experience is kinda hard to explain in a paragraph, especially with no ASE’s or “formal” training.
I also don’t have any ASE’s or formal training . I provided a good bio on myself and then a good interview on myself.

send me a pm with you name, contact info area serviced and will call my contact.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I also have just applied. Same with no ASE certs or formal training. Just pumped myself up with my normal job since I am pretty anal about detail and listed that I have a car buying and modding problem and little issues stick out like a sore thumb to me. :rofl:

In a more professional tone of course.

Reactions: frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I also have just applied. Same with no ASE certs or formal training. Just pumped myself up with my normal job since I am pretty anal about detail and listed that I have a car buying and modding problem and little issues stick out like a sore thumb to me. :rofl:

In a more professional tone of course.
Do the same above, send me a pm with contact info and coverage area .

Reactions: Fish

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Here is another one to sign up for. I do a little work here and there for them.

let them know about your car enthusiasts background, understanding of what a customer of looking for out of an inspection, as you treat the inspection as if it’s your own car or a friend asking … they like to hear that lol.

Reactions: Fish

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Got a call from someone today regarding the job. Mulled it over with my wife and I think she is on board. I think it would be good for extra cash, and Im sure I wont have something going on every day as well.

I guess in our area, license plate bracket installs are yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge for Carvana cars. So it would be a lot of those I think.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Thread Info