• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Picked up 2011 mustang 5.0 for the wife!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ya, He posts in a lot of forums. He has good prices but his customer service and racer support is what sold me. I called him and talked for a good 20 minutes about a game plan for my car. I had not ordered any thing from him at that point but he was still happy to help me out.

And once he saw the order and business ship to address he called back and saved me a little over $100. He didn't have to do that. He could have billed me, shipped the parts and I would not have known the difference. He extended a professional courtesy to save me money. Thought that was awesome of him.

Sammy is the epitome of customer service in the performance automotive sector, no doubt. I've dealt with so many vendors... Sammy does everything he can to make sure you're 100% satisfied. There aren't many places/folks left like that in the industry.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
and I hate to admit it, but the fronts are setup like struts right? I'd need a spring compressor to get the front springs replaced?
Correct. The springs are assembled to the strut and then installed in the car.

You can rent spring compressor from auto part stores. But be VERY careful. There is a lot of stored energy there. Might be worth having a shop install them if not too expensive.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
People that care about ride quality go with lowering springs designed for stock dampening, and people that want to race, go with coil-overs. This is why one costs $250 and the other costs $2500.

Ya, but some classes are limited by what you can run too. "Stock" style classes are designed that way because of cost. Most people couldn't afford the coil overs, multiple springs, discs for different shock valving and so on. And forget actually knowing how to tune those parts for different tracks. YEARS of testing and experience for that. Some times the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) is a much better route to go. haha I have been there and done that! lmao

Sammy is the epitome of customer service in the performance automotive sector, no doubt. I've dealt with so many vendors... Sammy does everything he can to make sure you're 100% satisfied. There aren't many places/folks left like that in the industry.

Ya, We talk about the lack of customer service in all kinds of industries. It is sad. We pump our employees a lot about customer service and taking pride in their job. It goes a long way.

Sam is a cool guy. He even talked me out of buying some suspension parts. haha We are going to try it as is and go from there. If I end up not needing the parts it saves me money. I am cool with that. haha

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yep, I'm familiar with the dangers of the install. Thanks, Pratt!

Just making sure you have it fresh in your head. haha

I walked out of a buddies garage because he was doing springs. I hear the spring launce off the car and into the wall. And I mean 'into' the wall. Broke the upright beam and logged itself there. Glad I was no where near that!

You could also take the Strut/spring assembly to a Midas or any shop and they can switch the springs over for a few dollars. Only takes 10 minutes to do.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Ya, I have to say I see WAY more threads asking "What springs will slam the car the most?" or "What lowering spring rides the best?" than I do about what is the best handling spring for a specific application. Are there those threads? Sure. But not nearly as many about performance aspects of the springs.

Because lets face it a car prepped for a road course is gonna use a 650# or higher spring rate up front. You would never think to run that kind of spring on the street.

Yet, they buy those springs. A progressive rate spring like the Eibach/FRPP on my car do not ride bad. The issue is when people go cheap and buy springs and reuse the stock shocks/struts which are tuned from the factory for a specific spring rate.. I can dial my shocks in so that they car rides really soft.

And you are right, any serious car is going to use a multi thousand dollar setup with external reservoirs like these

http://www.vorshlag.com/ast_models.php

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
People that care about ride quality go with lowering springs designed for stock dampening, and people that want to race, go with coil-overs. This is why one costs $250 and the other costs $2500.

Coil overs on a daily driver is just a silly waste of money if it sees any bad weather. That's why I went with tokico d-spec adjustable struts and springs instead of an adjustable coil over.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Ya, He posts in a lot of forums. He has good prices but his customer service and racer support is what sold me. I called him and talked for a good 20 minutes about a game plan for my car. I had not ordered any thing from him at that point but he was still happy to help me out.

He actually will tell you to call him since it will take him time to listen to your needs and explain what works. Most companies correspond via emails. He helped me out with some suspension parts and brakes a few years back. Nice guy!

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Correct. The springs are assembled to the strut and then installed in the car.

You can rent spring compressor from auto part stores. But be VERY careful. There is a lot of stored energy there. Might be worth having a shop install them if not too expensive.

I did mine on my car. It's about an hour per tire from jacking the car up to lowering it. It's a very easy install. I've got a spring compressor if you'd like to borrow it, but they can be rented at any major auto parts store like Pratt said.

One thing to consider is upgrading the strut mounts. I know on my car, they tend to clunk and Ford released a TSB to replace them but lots of people use GT500 strut mounts or aftermarket ones where you can adjust camber.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Coil overs on a daily driver is just a silly waste of money if it sees any bad weather. That's why I went with tokico d-spec adjustable struts and springs instead of an adjustable coil over.

How do you like those D-Spec's Joel? I wanted to pick those up for the Mustang when the stockers go. I have heard good things about them.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
How do you like those D-Spec's Joel? I wanted to pick those up for the Mustang when the stockers go. I have heard good things about them.

I have them. They are cheaper than Konis, perform very similar BUT Tokico's customer service is horrid. I've heard this from multiple people on forums. Koni stands behind their product. When I did my suspension D-Specs were the best available. If I had to do it again, I'd buy Konis.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I did mine on my car. It's about an hour per tire from jacking the car up to lowering it. It's a very easy install. I've got a spring compressor if you'd like to borrow it, but they can be rented at any major auto parts store like Pratt said.

One thing to consider is upgrading the strut mounts. I know on my car, they tend to clunk and Ford released a TSB to replace them but lots of people use GT500 strut mounts or aftermarket ones where you can adjust camber.

You have to be careful with the strut mounts. The 2011+ cars use a different strut design than the earlier cars. So if you reuse the 2011+ strut you have to make sure they mount you get works. Guys are using the 2010 GT500 strut mount because they are installing 2010 and earlier design struts. No one has the correct design for the 2011+ cars out yet.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

I think they're great; I've put probably 20k on them. The only reason I didn't get koni yellows is because I'd have to cut up my stockers for the inserts.

Koni also has a revalve/rebuild service or their struts as well as adjustable sleeve kits if you want to go that route in the future.

The only downside to d-specs is the price seems to have shot up like crazy. I think the last time I looked the we're more then konis

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think they're great; I've put probably 20k on them. The only reason I didn't get koni yellows is because I'd have to cut up my stockers for the inserts.

Koni also has a revalve/rebuild service or their struts as well as adjustable sleeve kits if you want to go that route in the future.

The only downside to d-specs is the price seems to have shot up like crazy. I think the last time I looked the we're more then konis

Yeah I have noticed that they have gotten pretty pricey. I used to run Bilsteins on the 2004 and loved them. I was looking to try something different this time around.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Plastidip strikes again! :noes:

2012-04-07_12-52-43_787.jpg

My first two wheels ever.... not 100% happy with my workmanship, but I think I'm happy with the product. Going to take the other two off and start in on them in a min. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info