• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Picked up 2011 mustang 5.0 for the wife!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Blizzaks met their first puncture wound today... :(

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328477153785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328477153785.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 109

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There are companies out there that offer a lowering spring that keeps the same spring rates through the first part of the progressive rate. Then have a higher rate as the spring compresses more. So you get a stock ride until you really compress the spring. BMR is known for this. Their spring is more about looks and comfort than it is performance. Plus shocks paired up to the application help a lot too.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
There are companies out there that offer a lowering spring that keeps the same spring rates through the first part of the progressive rate. Then have a higher rate as the spring compresses more. So you get a stock ride until you really compress the spring. BMR is known for this. Their spring is more about looks and comfort than it is performance. Plus shocks paired up to the application help a lot too.

That seems like a lot of time for nothing. It's 3-4 hours to swap out springs. The whole thing about lowering springs is to lower the center of gravity (though too low and it messes with the roll center lol).

You are becoming a suspension guru. Saw your thread on CMC. Sam knows his S197 suspensions, right!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That seems like a lot of time for nothing. It's 3-4 hours to swap out springs. The whole thing about lowering springs is to lower the center of gravity (though too low and it messes with the roll center lol).

You are becoming a suspension guru. Saw your thread on CMC. Sam knows his S197 suspensions, right!

You are wrong there. Some people want the lowered look with comfort and could care less about performance. There is a market for it as they are popular. Not what I want but to each his own.

Just like with drag racing I have been reading a lot of stuff on road racing (ya, generic term, I know). And got an opportunity to talk to Kenny Brown in person a couple weeks back. That was cool. And Sam has given me some insight. Mainly on spring rates and struts/shocks. I am soaking up what ever I can and can't wait to put some of the stuff to practice.

Sam recommended the new Steeda Boss springs. Being this is my DD and the chicago roads suck I didn't want to go too low. He said these will give a slight drop, be great on the track as well as ride nice despite the rates because of the Koni Sports also going on. Should be a good system. I hope. haha

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You are wrong there. Some people want the lowered look with comfort and could care less about performance. There is a market for it as they are popular. Not what I want but to each his own.

I'd say that the vast majority of S197s on the internets are lowered with Eibach/FRPP, H&R, Roush and Vogtland or some higher end coilovers. Most guys lower to improve handling from what I've seen:bigthumb:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, I have to say I see WAY more threads asking "What springs will slam the car the most?" or "What lowering spring rides the best?" than I do about what is the best handling spring for a specific application. Are there those threads? Sure. But not nearly as many about performance aspects of the springs.

Because lets face it a car prepped for a road course is gonna use a 650# or higher spring rate up front. You would never think to run that kind of spring on the street.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You guys are going to make Jason cry. haha

I want to lower the car, but I don't want to sacrifice ANY ride quality.

Dan, Check these out. VERY popular with the "I want the stock ride quality" guys.

There are other options of course. But with stock shocks & struts these are probably your best bet.

Or if you just want to level the car out this guy has the Brembo rates in a shorter rear spring. D55 spring kit

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Sweet. I'm picking up his springs for the TA this year.

Anyway, super nice guy. I ordered a few pieces from him two years ago and he called to talk about my setup and to see which color I wanted :rofl:

Pretty much got my business there but I've never heard any bad things about his springs on the Fbody.

Ya, He posts in a lot of forums. He has good prices but his customer service and racer support is what sold me. I called him and talked for a good 20 minutes about a game plan for my car. I had not ordered any thing from him at that point but he was still happy to help me out.

And once he saw the order and business ship to address he called back and saved me a little over $100. He didn't have to do that. He could have billed me, shipped the parts and I would not have known the difference. He extended a professional courtesy to save me money. Thought that was awesome of him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info