Opinions on tow vehicle

91Notch6.0

Regular
Feb 25, 2023
I am half looking for a tow vehicle, which I wasn't planning on buying at all and, I've never pulled anything. This would also be my daily driver and I'm leaning towards something with 4wd.

Have a Fox coupe, Id like to be able to drag race a few times a year. Live close to Joliet, but they apparently frown on amateurs, soo they can suck it from the back.

Its looking about 1.5 hour trip each way to the next closest tracks. At the very most, I'd go 4-5 times a summer.

Now the question, what to pull with? Estimating pulling 5500lbs MAX. I don't want to finance and not looking to spend more than say $12k.

With the limited use I have in mind, is a diesel worth the extra money or should I stick with a gasser??

Modular Ford's are out, Powerstroke 7.3 be nice but they are pretty old at this point. Coyote or 6.2 is out of price range.

Have a 2000 1500 Silverado RCSB as well. So think that's enough GM for me.

Need a driver, not a shop queen so didn't consider RAM.

WTF is left??

Kinda sorta like the SAAB 9-7X, it's a sleeper, basically a trailblazer with a 5.3. Would that fit my needs?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I bought it before my mustang. It's only a 4.8 with a 5 speed, and I lowered it last summer. It MIGHT be up for the task. But towing one of my projects, with ANOTHER of my projects....I ain't got the balls for that

i will give you ten dollars for your project silverado

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
That was kind of a thought, I'd definitely have to rent a trailer.

However, I am pretty tired of my daily driver and it barely gets 15mpg anyway.

You are on going to gain approx 5 - 7 more MPGs out of a full size truck or a SUV.

You can unload your current DD for something that is better suited to your daily needs and use a rental company truck & trailer for when you do travel to a track.

Another option to consider and crunch the numbers

Reactions: 91Notch6.0

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I went through this a year ago. I ultimately spent more and got a 2018 Colorado ZR2.

But my other contenders in that price range were:
-Trailblazer SS
-Tahoe

I think the TBSS if it's not ragged out is a good option. I towed with my 2006 1SS (rwd, cloth) a few times and it was fine. They come factory with the 6.0 and a 4.10 gear. The air suspension would air up a little once the trailer was loaded.

Reactions: 91Notch6.0

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I went through this a year ago. I ultimately spent more and got a 2018 Colorado ZR2.

-Trailblazer SS
-Tahoe

I think the TBSS if it's not ragged out is a good option. I towed with my 2006 1SS (rwd, cloth) a few times and it was fine. They come factory with the 6.0 and a 4.10 gear. The air suspension would air up a little once the trailer was loaded.

If looking at mid size trucks, another option is the Ranger.

TFL recently did a mpg tow comparison (Ranger vs Raptor).

Ranger ave 9 mpgs towing 7500lbs (vehicle / trailer. Believe it aves 20 mpg for DD use

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If looking at mid size trucks, another option is the Ranger.

TFL recently did a mpg tow comparison (Ranger vs Raptor).

Ranger ave 9 mpgs towing 7500lbs (vehicle / trailer. Believe it aves 20 mpg for DD use

lol only ranger he's buying for 12k or less is this style

1679504064900.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

-Trailblazer SS
-Tahoe

you're not buying any not-ragged-out awd tbss for 12k or less though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info