🏡 Better Homes OffshoreDrilling's (mostly) DIY Solar install extravaganza.

Thread
Why Solar?
Economics of Solar

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
This is awesome, good luck Jared.

Myself and a few others I know came to the same conclusion that Turk is referring to. The numbers just don't make sense.

BUT, DIY could change that.
If you’re paying for install and doing it strictly to save money on energy, I’d agree it’s not worth it.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Sub'ed. DIY will save you thousands.

I am definitely seeing panels popping up everywhere in my hood. I've run the numbers a few times, it's at least a 10 year return on purchase. If I go with an EV next I think I'd be more intrigued. I have an east-west facing house, not fully ideal but can capture morning/early afternoon sun.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

This looks one hell of a DIY solution to storage.

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
BUMP.

This has been veeeeeery slow going.

I got my stamped drawings last week and my permit was approved today. I filed my ComEd interconnection permit on Monday.

I don’t have any of my equipment yet and won’t purchase until I have an approved interconnection permit.

My roof needs reinforcement to handle the solar array which is something I’m going to start on sooner than later. Any rafters supporting the solar array that span greater than 12’6” need to be sistered. This is going to be the worst part of this whole job. As it looks right now I’m going to have to take out the whole supply duct from my attic HVAC system to access the bottoms of the rafters at the eves. The next fun part will be getting 15 or so 12’ long 2x6s up an attic stair. And lastly I have to drop a good size chunk of garage ceiling to sister just 3 rafters. I want to insulate up there and run conduit for more power anyways so that’s a win/win

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
thomas morton GIF by BALLS DEEP with Thomas Morton

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
BUMP.

This has been veeeeeery slow going.

I got my stamped drawings last week and my permit was approved today. I filed my ComEd interconnection permit on Monday.

I don’t have any of my equipment yet and won’t purchase until I have an approved interconnection permit.

My roof needs reinforcement to handle the solar array which is something I’m going to start on sooner than later. Any rafters supporting the solar array that span greater than 12’6” need to be sistered. This is going to be the worst part of this whole job. As it looks right now I’m going to have to take out the whole supply duct from my attic HVAC system to access the bottoms of the rafters at the eves. The next fun part will be getting 15 or so 12’ long 2x6s up an attic stair. And lastly I have to drop a good size chunk of garage ceiling to sister just 3 rafters. I want to insulate up there and run conduit for more power anyways so that’s a win/win
damn. That is why I am starting my array on the ground :rofl:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Most of the stuff showed up yesterday. Fed ex lost the rails for the racking but found the package. Fuckers probably bent in half. It’s supposed to show up tomorrow.

I got photos of the equipment before it was picked up from the freight company:

AD8DB0BB-22A1-417F-824A-501C54D82380.jpeg

And how it arrived:
871F8872-3D32-4DCD-AC7F-1088F4DF2CBD.jpeg

Complimentary forklift fork into the back of a panel:

8723FA0D-040A-4636-91F6-FE23E5707D7F.jpeg

Totally shattered the glass:
D1E0FCCA-A29E-4BD8-BAD2-CE3E20F82B36.jpeg

6E3B19AB-E38F-419A-8598-9D9A1E46A293.jpeg

I have to make some space to unpack and inspect the rest before the weekend

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Why cant anybody deliver shit without fucking something up nowadays? This happens all the time. :mad:
We had a trucking company show up a week ago and literally the entire skid of parts was laying all over the back of the truck... Like what the fuck were you doing on your way here.

Then he was all pissed because we rejected the shipment.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Why cant anybody deliver shit without fucking something up nowadays? This happens all the time. :mad:
Its crazy how bad its gotten the last 4-5yrs, nobody (drivers/dock workers) give a fuck anymore. This is no exaggeration, I'd say 75% of new furniture and other shit I receive has some sort of damage. On a job in Elgin this morning installing 4-brand new private offices that the customer has literally been waiting 4 months for this shit. 1 desk top completely fucked right in the middle of it. My whse guys are receiving like 800 library book carts the last few days. I guarantee you 25%-30% of them will be damaged.

B4292155-3534-4A90-9C5D-8CCCC26576AD.jpeg

8B207DAB-A56F-4CFB-B021-E9CADC2120BD.jpeg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
We had a trucking company show up a week ago and literally the entire skid of parts was laying all over the back of the truck... Like what the fuck were you doing on your way here.

Then he was all pissed because we rejected the shipment.

Well, they have X amount of time to get to a destination. Screw your product. :rofl:

homer simpson truck GIF

One word, Schneider

You spelt Swift wrong.

Im also wondering if I should look more into solar. Ive literally had 5 companies knock on our door in a month saying our roof has "amazing" sunlight and would be perfect for solar. They were all trying to get on the Illinois Shines program, but I dont know much about it and I am not in the market right now. Want to eventually but these people are like gnats. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info