• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

official weight reduction thread

cobrafreak34

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
yea but i bet that manual aint exactly street friendly.

probably some proshifted liberty unit with some crazy twin or triple disc set up.

look at this all the info on that car, its for sale, sorry for fucking up your thread

2002 Dodge Viper GTS TURBO - 139,900.00

CURRENT WORLD RECORD HOLDER!! 7.98@183 IN THE 1/4 MILE. This is the current worlds fastest full weight, 6 speed, IRS, stereo, cold a/c etc. Built by Underground Racing. The car on low boost runs mid 8's!! This is a show quality street/race car. Never smoked in. This car was built to dominate highway runs and the streets. The car beats up on Big Bore bikes! Car makes over 1150 whp on 93 octane pump gas and 1500 whp on the race tune. Car Features a forged 510" cid with offset ground crank, Oliver billet rods, forged piston, fully ported/polished heads, AEM, Mcleod custom twin disc clutch, G-force custom built T-56 Viper transmission. Mark Williams custom half shafts with fully built rear end. C/M driveline and H/S safety straps. Penske fully adjustable racing shocks. Weldon custom fuel system. Full Chrome Moly tig welded roll cage. Looks factory. Removable rear mount parachute. (Simpson). Underground Racing custom fabricated race headers and turbo piping. Full custom Burns Stainless steel mufflers and side exit exhaust. Car has less than 500 miles since build. Car can be driven daily!! Car is currently in street trim. (Baer Mono Block racing brakes/pads and Black Powder coated SSR light weight race wheels and Michelin Pilot Cup race tires!) Your choice of wheels. HRE's SSR's or Bogart drag race set-up. Custom Billet drive pulley's. Much much more. Too much to list! TOP SHELF BUILD. Best parts money could buy! Over 180K invested! For more info on this car, please call 702.375.4999. Please no dreamers. Car is for sale locally as well.

cobrafreak34

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
HELLZ YEAH! see this is what im talking about, i just want to make this thing one mean mother f...er

Im with you we all know how c6 z's fly with only 500hp so if a cobra can duplicate its weight with an extra 400hp thats gonna be insane o yeah just leave ur jack and spare at a reliable friends house so if u get a flat u can call him up, plus u'll have another hand to help :]

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
id be afraid what my bumper cover and undercarriage would look like after a flat bed got to it because it sits so low.... my last car was by no means a race car, but i took the spare and jack out for the hell of it and i got a flat literally the next day.

I don't know if they make them for the newer mustangs, but you can get a tubular bumber support..front and back..

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
Airbag deletes save about 40lbs per...not sure how serious you wanna go

meh, thats a little too hardcore. i dont want it to be a safety hazard for me or anyone in my car. has anyone taken out the rear amp rack? how does this effect the sound from the radio. like i said before i still like to listen to music but i do keep it somewhat low as i prefer hearing the exhaust :burnout:

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
hey Brad, dont know if you have seen them or if they were mentioned already but STEEDA makes aluminum tubular bumper supports and they cut weight by another 30 lbs if you do front and rear. im not sure if they will work for you or not cause there is no mount for the exhaust tip hangers in the rear( no big deal if you run dumps) and im not sure how yuor intercooler mounts up and if that would be an issue either. but ALMO and i installed them on his car together and they are cake . just got to pop the bumper covers off

heres a link
http://www.steeda.com/products/hardcore_bumper_support.php

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
I was actually looking for threads on weight reduction, glad I came across this one.

Have you looked into mini-starters? It will probably save you a little under 10 lbs., but they are around $150.

Do you have a light weight driveshaft? I'm not sure what the aluminum driveshafts are rated for, you are probably making too much power for one?

Like somebody else said, lighter/smaller rims will made a pretty big difference since it is rotational mass.

What about battery relocation? It obviously won't cut weight, but move it to the back where it is needed.

And you could always get rid of your entire sound system and just use an ipod while your driving :joke:

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
car has the stock aluminum driveshaft and the battery is relocated, i am thinking about looking into the sound system but like i said i still do use it so i dont want to totally hack it up. im hoping my new hood will save me around 10lbs or so, wheels are kind of heavy but my car is heavily used for street duty so thats not really a big deal; im trying to save for some true forged wheels but my money keeps running out!

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I've done it, it's very simple, for the drivers side, there are 2 bolts on the side holding on the steering wheel airbag, one harness to unplug the unit. Make sure to take the battery terminal off beforehand. For the passenger side unit you drop the glove compartment so you can get in behind the heating vent and again it's 2 bolts and the whole compartment comes out, and again one connector.

You will need covers for both the horn and passenger dashboard, the passenger one you can order from UPR, the horn cover you can get strait from ford, they make a stock OEM cover without airbags for mustangs made in mexico.

You can then turn around and sell your airbag's for a few hundred on ebay.

Here's a few pics of what they look like.

100_0741.jpg

100_0743.jpg

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
What about a lightweight fuel cell/tank? Do they save a lot of weight? I'm not talking about the ones mounted in the trunk, I'd want one that still goes under the car...

What about replacing the glass with fast glass Lexan? I've heard it is stronger and is up to 75% lighter... Probably lots of $ though.

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
What about a lightweight fuel cell/tank? Do they save a lot of weight? I'm not talking about the ones mounted in the trunk, I'd want one that still goes under the car...

What about replacing the glass with fast glass Lexan? I've heard it is stronger and is up to 75% lighter... Probably lots of $ though.

Replacing stock fuel tank (plastic) with alum/steel fuel cell...only save weight if it was a lot smaller I would assume. I also thought about replacing the glass with lexan, but the adhesive that holds it on is not that strong, hence the use of rivets in most applications. I like to see out my windshield, so that would stay glass, I want to retain my factory side windows so that would only leave rear window which may do funny things if driving at high speed with the side windows down. Since my car still roams the street, I do not want to test the effect of high pressure on lexan rear window 1st hand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info