• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

official weight reduction thread

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
do you drive with no front sway on the street? i know people have said "you just have to be careful turning" how careful is "careful" and is it a big difference that you can feel?

it all depends what u want. i took the front sway bar out of my notch and i HATED it. just felt more loose up front. i happen to like handling as well as strait line so i put it back on after a trip to the strip.

i think its noticeable when off but in time you would get used to it. without it, it feels a little less responsive so thats why people say be "careful".

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
it all depends what u want. i took the front sway bar out of my notch and i HATED it. just felt more loose up front. i happen to like handling as well as strait line so i put it back on after a trip to the strip.

i think its noticeable when off but in time you would get used to it. without it, it feels a little less responsive so thats why people say be "careful".
You could be right Zach, it's been out of my car for so long that I probably don't even realize how much better it might be with the bar in.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
In reading this thread I remembered we have a very acurate truck scale here so I drove my car over and weighed it. With the Chrome FR500's full tank of gas and my tools in the trunk it weighed in at 3339. I know the car sits in the 3200 range when I have the welds on and my tools removed from the trunk. Majority of the weight being the heavy ass chrome rims with the 10.5 rims out back.

I still run the a/c on my car and have no intentions of removing it, I have done quite of bit of weight removal on the car. Some of the things I've done.

rear seat delete
gutted the trunk
removed the front sway bar and mounting brackets
quad shocks and mount removal
pulled all the sound deadener out of the car
pulled the front bumper support
air bags removed
aluminum driveshaft
big and little's for the track
ABS rings removed
cobra R hood

I've also relocated the battery to the trunk, as my novi and paxton intercooler put a good amount of weight on the nose of my car.

Things I still plan on doing
K member & A arms
Remove the ABS box in the engine bay
corbeau seats or at least cloth seats with manual racks

I know my car isn't a cobra but for the drag racings guys that are serious about weight removal it pretty much can follow what I've got and come up with something pretty close, aside from s/c setups blocks/heads weight should come pretty close.

I don't feel that I've gone overboard on my car it is still very streetable and the interior is in tact minus the air bags and rear seat being removed. I will continue to keep the radio and a/c as these are creature comforts that I don't see a whole lot of gain from removing.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
conrad, i thought for sure youd back me up on this being all hardcore and shit???? well hasnt happened to me in 3 years so i guess ill take my chances... [crosses fingers]

If I were you i'd probably take out the sound deadening and all the other useless shit but leave the heat, then crank up the boost :dancenana:

How much louder did it get inside the car after removing all the sound deadener?

Don't matta

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
IMO, you've already gone too crazy (unless it's a track only car). :dunno:

Look up "Almo" on SVTP and search for a thread with the weight reduction mods he's done to his car. You'll probably get a few good tips from it. :biggthump

Allen (ALMO) and i are good friends and we kind of built our cars along side one another at excessive , although he went to the extreme .. i helped him scrape out 15lbs of sound deadining:clap:. with all hed done to that car it looked completely stock inside except for the cage.

10.60s on stock pulleyed ,stock boosted cobra shows how important wieght is. i drove his car many times and it was an absolute animal:headbang:

i know everything that was done to that car even what wasnt listed..wink wink

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Allen (ALMO) and i are good friends and we kind of built our cars along side one another at excessive , although he went to the extreme .. i helped him scrape out 15lbs of sound deadining:clap:. with all hed done to that car it looked completely stock inside except for the cage.

10.60s on stock pulleyed ,stock boosted cobra shows how important wieght is. i drove his car many times and it was an absolute animal:headbang:

i know everything that was done to that car even what wasnt listed..wink wink

what did the car end up weighing in at?

my gt weighed 3440 with me, full tank of gas and no spare. i love weighing 120 lbs :dancenana:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info