🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Had our inspection on Friday. Some small things which is normal for a 38 year old house, but a couple bigger things need to be addressed.

Couple of shingles missing and needs some reflashing. Inspector said probably $400 to have someone do it. Found a nest in the attic with some droppings. Didnt appear fresh, but the neighbor caught us outside and said when they were redoing the inside of the house, they fixed an attic vent that the animals were using to get in, and they were still inside so they chewed through a facia where the roof and siding meet to get out. The flower bed in the back wasnt put in properly and has mulch touching the siding which can lead to moisture wicking up and into the wood.

Since we submitted an "As Is" offer, not sure if they will do anything, but going to at least try to get them to clean the nest out and secure the hole so nothing else moves in before we get the chance. :rofl:

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
That’s all pretty minor stuff. You’re not going to get it on an as is offer. We did the same thing on our house, wasn’t worth jeopardizing the deal over a couple thousand bucks.

I agree. There were other things, but I would not be upset taking care of it or having someone take care of it. Even the shingles on the roof can stay. I just worry about the nest and animals possibly coming and going especially with the house being empty. Hell, I would even be ok with paying to get it done now if they let me. I know if something goes down and we lose the house I am out that money, but its a risk Id be willing to take.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I generally advise my customers to use the inspections to look for high cost items that would have been fixed by most homeowners if they knew about them/had the money. All homes will have some issues and the older the home, the more issues that are expected. It's the difference between wear and tear and negligence.

You can ask for anything you want but it does add jeopardy to the sale so, as mentioned, on a multi hundred K home, is haggling over a couple grand worth it? To some people, yes. To others, no.

I have a home under contract now where the buyers decided not to ask for any repairs. Needs a new roof but they already know that and the agreed on price already reflects that cost. Their Realtor did mention the dryer vent was partially clogged which could be a safety issue but he said they aren't going to push it. I still asked my sellers if they could have the vent cleaned out as a goodwill gesture. They're going to do it.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Home inspectors seem to have really stepped up their game since we bought our house 10 years ago.
All our inspector did was walk around and check outlets for ground, stuck his head up in the attic to check that it was insulated and poked around at some pipes in the basement.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I generally advise my customers to use the inspections to look for high cost items that would have been fixed by most homeowners if they knew about them/had the money. All homes will have some issues and the older the home, the more issues that are expected. It's the difference between wear and tear and negligence.

You can ask for anything you want but it does add jeopardy to the sale so, as mentioned, on a multi hundred K home, is haggling over a couple grand worth it? To some people, yes. To others, no.

I have a home under contract now where the buyers decided not to ask for any repairs. Needs a new roof but they already know that and the agreed on price already reflects that cost. Their Realtor did mention the dryer vent was partially clogged which could be a safety issue but he said they aren't going to push it. I still asked my sellers if they could have the vent cleaned out as a goodwill gesture. They're going to do it.

I am buying what you are selling, and even my wife and I agree that if it’s a no go we will move forward with the deal. Just thought it shouldn’t hurt to ask. The roof missing shingles is not going to be something we ask for along with the gutters being half caked in mud and other debris

IMO vents and ducts will probably be cleaned or at least inspected anyway cause I’m just like that.

Home inspectors seem to have really stepped up their game since we bought our house 10 years ago.
All our inspector did was walk around and check outlets for ground, stuck his head up in the attic to check that it was insulated and poked around at some pipes in the basement.

My inspector worked with me at my job and for a time reported to me. I know his work ethic and was more than comfortable with him. Dude gave us a 38 page report. Lol. Iirc the last time we did an inspection it was around 12-15 pages.

Reactions: Jon01 and Flyn

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I inquired about a house in AZ and apparently there was already 30 offers sitting on the table lol

this is not looking good.
Everyone from California. They’re used to paying $500k for a 1000sqft house, no problem overpaying.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Someone come be my neighbor I could see OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling living in something like this with his somewhat minimalist tendencies

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Yeah, the inspectors I use routinely give 40-50 page inspection reports with lots of pics to back up what they are saying.

yup inspectors are all over the place but good ones are really hard to find.

I followed the inspector around the place I just bought and went up ladders and shit with him and had my own flashlight and camera too. He was there for 4 hours and provided a 50 page binder with photographs and details of what was found.

my wife’s best friend had their new place “inspected” and it was done in and hour with a bs report of regurgitated google search prints attached to it. I found more than their inspector found after they moved in in just a few minutes.. lol.

Thread Info