🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Flyn Flyn frank frank @otherrealtors?

Hope you guys don't mind if I pick your brain a bit, figure this thread may be the best place. I've been interested in real estate for several years now and have looked into getting licensed many many times, but always talk myself out of it. How do you guys like it? Any advice for or against it?

I did sales at a luxury car dealership for a few years and loved it, but left for personal reasons. I now work in marketing / communications and am bored out of my mind doing it. I miss meeting/ interacting with people every day and working with them to find what they want. Also miss the ability to create my own future (that sounds cheesy as fuck, but I liked being commission based and knowing that the harder I work the more reward I will see). I loved doing this with vehicles and always considered real estate the "next step".

My issue is how saturated the market is, it's so easy to get a license and it seems like really anyone can do it (maybe not well, but you know what I mean).

Does it all depend on what agency you work for? Is real estate something you can ease yourself into part-time/ weekends or do you just need to have a safety net of money and dive in?
I was interested in it for a few years and never did anything about it. Got licensed in last January and only doing this part time, I closed my 11 and 12th deals on Tuesday. My regret is that, as mentioned, I didn't do it sooner. I know some agents who have failed and to me it's all about being a go-getter and getting yourself out there. Getting with a good brokerage with managing brokers and other brokers who are happy to assist you are huge. Getting the network going is the hardest part and differentiating yourself in the market. I'm in the southern Chicago burbs and I'd be happy to help you out and if you do decide to jump into it, my brokerage is awesome and does an 85/15 split no matter the volume starting day 1.

Reactions: Caleb515 and frank

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
I was interested in it for a few years and never did anything about it. Got licensed in last January and only doing this part time, I closed my 11 and 12th deals on Tuesday. My regret is that, as mentioned, I didn't do it sooner. I know some agents who have failed and to me it's all about being a go-getter and getting yourself out there. Getting with a good brokerage with managing brokers and other brokers who are happy to assist you are huge. Getting the network going is the hardest part and differentiating yourself in the market. I'm in the southern Chicago burbs and I'd be happy to help you out and if you do decide to jump into it, my brokerage is awesome and does an 85/15 split no matter the volume starting day 1.
Awesome to hear and thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that!
Your story definitely seems different than a lot of others I've heard (in a positive way). I've heard so many times it's impossible to do part-time and that so many people don't see a sale or income for months when they first start out. I know everyone is different, but man there are so many opinions and stories from this industry.

I've still got some thinking to do on it. Right now I'm doing my homework on the initial investment to get licensed looking into timeframes, ect. Fortunately I've got a comfy / stable job now so I can take my time, but as everyone has been saying sooner is better than later.

Reactions: Flyn

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

This place is the tits. Minor updating needed but I dig it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Spec house a good friend of mine is building. Guy is doing zip R, anderson 400 windows, finished basement, LP siding etc....on a spec. I've never seen that before lol.

He does a good job documenting his builds on YT:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Spec house a good friend of mine is building. Guy is doing zip R, anderson 400 windows, finished basement, LP siding etc....on a spec. I've never seen that before lol.

He does a good job documenting his builds on YT:

That's a legit build. You should have gone with him haha

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That's a legit build. You should have gone with him haha
Bruh trust me, I tried. The developer of my subdivision would not approve any new builders. The street was too close to completion and him too close to retirement, so he didn't want to take any risk. I explain that a little more in the OP of my home build thread

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Bruh trust me, I tried. The developer of my subdivision would not approve any new builders. The street was too close to completion and him too close to retirement, so he didn't want to take any risk. I explain that a little more in the OP of my home build thread
I already told you, that thread is TLDR!

But yeah, the developers are fucking weird with that shit and it's stupid. Is your new hood going to have an HOA? If so, I hope you hit the HOA lottery, otherwise, in 2-5 years, it's gonna suck for ya, and those HOA fees.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I already told you, that thread is TLDR!

But yeah, the developers are fucking weird with that shit and it's stupid. Is your new hood going to have an HOA? If so, I hope you hit the HOA lottery, otherwise, in 2-5 years, it's gonna suck for ya, and those HOA fees.
This developer was about as difficult as one can be, it's almost unbelievable the shit that i've heard him say lol

It's got a super minimal HOA, around $375/year. Basically as long as your property looks good you're fine. Every yard in the place is perfect and you don't have hillbillies parking on the street like they do in my current subdivision, which I'm excited about because that drives me fucking nuts.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
This developer was about as difficult as one can be, it's almost unbelievable the shit that i've heard him say lol

It's got a super minimal HOA, around $375/year. Basically as long as your property looks good you're fine. Every yard in the place is perfect and you don't have hillbillies parking on the street like they do in my current subdivision, which I'm excited about because that drives me fucking nuts.
What an elitist. Who are you and how'd you forget your roots.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
There's no excuse for a shit yard. And the streets in basically all newer subdivisions are narrow AF, so put your heaps in the driveway or garage.
Agreed, for the most part. My neighbors across the street are great people, but they park their kids POS cars in front of my house, because their side of the street is no parking. Thankfully their kids are only home from college for brief stints.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Fiancé’s friend listed her house for sale on Thursday. 90 showings, not including open house, 26 offers as of today. House listed for $326k, highest offer is $370k waiving inspection and appraisal. And it’s in a flood zone with the desplaines river literally in the back yard.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Fiancé’s friend listed her house for sale on Thursday. 90 showings, not including open house, 26 offers as of today. House listed for $326k, highest offer is $370k waiving inspection and appraisal. And it’s in a flood zone with the desplaines river literally in the back yard.

Where is the house at?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So how accurate are some of these sites for telling you the value of your home? I ask because a small ass house on a slab and nowhere near as updated as mine just sold for $268k a block from my house. I have a full finished basement, brand new kitchen, roof only a few years old and overall my house is a lot bigger and nicer than this house. I look at these sites and they say my house is only worth about $270k. I also have a bigger yard with a $12k vinyl privacy fence that surrounds the whole house, bigger detached garage as that garage is attached. I just cant wrap my head around my house only being worth $3k more.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So how accurate are some of these sites for telling you the value of your home? I ask because a small ass house on a slab and nowhere near as updated as mine just sold for $268k a block from my house. I have a full finished basement, brand new kitchen, roof only a few years old and overall my house is a lot bigger and nicer than this house. I look at these sites and they say my house is only worth about $270k. I also have a bigger yard with a $12k vinyl privacy fence that surrounds the whole house, bigger detached garage as that garage is attached. I just cant wrap my head around my house only being worth $3k more.
Not accurate at all in your case.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
It's all bullshit. Appraisals go off recently sold in and around your home, not Zillow or Redfin guesstimates.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Shit makes me laugh. Cookie cutter houses that are identical to mine on postage stamp lots have gone for 250-300 recently. Some have updated kitchens, updated bathrooms, etc, but they are otherwise mirror/exact images of my house. I realized I have twice the yard (half acre), back up to a conservation so you can't see the neighbors behind you, a 3 season room, and the shop/3rd garage bay comparatively to the other houses. Just no basement, which some people prefer since we live near the Fox River and they don't want to worry about seepage/leaks.

Sure as fuck going to be asking over what those other houses sold for.

It's all fucking funny money at this point.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Maybe it's FOMO with the interest rates raising from 3.25% to 4.4% in the last 3 months it's going to make people jump on whatever they can get especially if the fed is going to continue to raise the fed rate by a quarter point 6 times this year.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I got a cold call from a company called "direct buy". We talked, they did a little homework, then offered me 325-330k as long as the house was in good shape. I told them I'd consider 340k if they'd let me rent it from them for 6 months, I don't expect they'll agree to that. Plan is still to list at 349900 in May/June and I expect offers will come in above that.

Super weird that companies like this are cold calling though.

Reactions: sickmint79

Thread Info