🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Told the wife to start packing. Which is also convenient as we have that meeting with RedFin tomorrow morning.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I was going to go look at this place tomorrow, that listed yesterday. My realtor just called and told me an offer was accepted. It had showings booked all day today and tomorrow. She didn't tell me what it went for, but she said it was well above asking price.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Told the wife to start packing. Which is also convenient as we have that meeting with RedFin tomorrow morning.

What in the boomer hell is going on here. Two chairs and a table blocking entry to the living room

Nice house tho

22201209_2_2.jpg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
What in the boomer hell is going on here. Two chairs and a table blocking entry to the living room

Nice house tho

22201209_2_2.jpg
It's just a poorly angled photo, there's a stair width walkway behind it, as it's even with the first chair. And you focus on that and not the shooting range?!

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Hoping for some free advice...... Need to sell my parent's house in Omaha. Neighbors want to make a quick offer as is, and my sister is all for it. She did finally send comps. I think she is about 50-0k low and just wants it gone. What's the best way to determine a price? I did ask her to get it appraised and she hasn't yet.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Appraisal should get you a good idea for around $500-$700 to the appraiser. Plus you then have an appraisal to show anyone you want to.

You could also call a Realtor and get free advice but they would be after you for the sale.

With neighbors, you definitely want to see proof of funds or pre approval. I can't count the number of times I have seen neighbors verbally make offers and back out when it's time to show the money.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Redfin gave me my estimate and basically says the same thing as their initial range value tool. Which is stupid considering their estimating my home for what it was when we bought it, not all the extra remodeling we’ve done. Oh whale. Not selling soon anyway.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
With neighbors, you definitely want to see proof of funds or pre approval. I can't count the number of times I have seen neighbors verbally make offers and back out when it's time to show the money.
Cliff is spot on here. My neighbor was going to buy my house back in Illinois and then backed out at the last minute. I'm glad he did as we got 63k more by putting it on the market. I told him I'm glad you didnt buy it. He was bitter when he found out what we got.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Just got off the meeting with the Redfin person. They're saying cash offer is 249900 for my cookie cutter, suburbia hell house with no basement. However, when compared to traditionally selling, it's worth listing for 260-291k based on the comps that have sold around me.

Cash offer pros:
- Flexible timeline, up to 90 days close but can be adjusted tighter if we find something we really want/like and move on it
- IF any repairs are needed it just eats into my profits but I don't have to do a thing to the house (there's nothing really wrong with this house anyway, maybe a little outdated but not boomer-outdated)
- The ability to stay in the house for an additional 60 days after closing at $100/day. this allows immediate equity in my pocket and zero out my DTI along with even more flexibility on closing on new house

Cash offer cons:
- Less money in my pocket overall

Traditional pros:
- 10-30k more dollars in my pocket overall
- Bidding war and selling over list, even more duckets in my pocket
- Possibly waiving inspection if multiple offers come in and someone REALLY wants my house, as has happened the last 2 years

Traditional cons:
- Literally traditionally selling it and the headache that comes along with it
- Buyer/s will nitpick and want things fixed either before closing or given a credit at closing
- Buyers can also back out if they find something they don't like (or not, see pros)
- Super tight close timeline, would have to live somewhere in the interim if we don't find anything we like causing more potential profits out of my pocket paying ridiculous rental fees if we choose not to live with family

I have some thinking to do. Going to have an agent come by tomorrow. Yes yes, I know I wanted to FSBO but she'd have a realistic view of what this thing is worth and what to list at. AND I don't have to use her anyway, merely just check a box for "agent came and said x, y, z, and now my house is up for 310k because it's fuck you money anyway."

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I may have missed it but selling the house with a realtor will probably take 6% or so out of your pocket. With your expectation based on comps that’s about $15K which doesn’t put their offer far off. You also get to sell and walk away on your own time which can be far from the case when dealing with a traditional buyer. No stress and dealing with showings, flakey buyers who can’t get credit, realtors, etc.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I may have missed it but selling the house with a realtor will probably take 6% or so out of your pocket. With your expectation based on comps that’s about $15K which doesn’t put their offer far off. You also get to sell and walk away on your own time which can be far from the case when dealing with a traditional buyer. No stress and dealing with showings, flakey buyers who can’t get credit, realtors, etc.
Exactly. Redfins fee is 4% (in my scenario, she said it ranges from 4% to 13%) and I just wash my hands and gtfo.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Quick background: I'm selling my house sometime in the next 2-4 months, plan to list at 349900 and it would prob get offers over asking (nextdoor neighbors sold for 390k last fall, house across the street 380k last spring, another house across the street currently listed at 430k, but they all had finished basements). The market is so hot I planned to FSBO it. My sis has a client that's both a real estate attorney and agent, whom I talked to saturday because she sells a packet that includes all instructions and paperwork required to FSBO. BUT then she also said she'd be willing to sell my house for $5k flat fee and would only offer 2% to the buyer's agent. She said in this market it's so easy and inventory is so low that buying agents will still jump on it

Seems low doesn't it? Most agents seem to hold on to a 2.5% min (per side) with a death grip.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I really hate that houses with non-egress finished basements always include the basement as finished sq ft in the listing. It doesn't count in the appraisal as finished sq ft so stop doing that shit. It throws everything off when you look at comps because according to the listing, their 2k ft house with a $30k basement is apparently 50% larger than my 2k ft house with an unfinished basement.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Gotta remember, buying agent is beholden to the buyer. So if your sister's client tells them 2% flat, I don't think there's anything the agent, per se, can do? They can't back out of a sale and fuck a buyer over. I'd have to assume there's some kind of legalese/morality behind the agent backing out of a deal because of their own financial gain, screwing over a client (the buyer)?

I'm pulling that out of my ass but basically it would be scummy as fuck for a buyer to be hyped for your house, and they can't buy it because the buying agent is a greedy fuck that backs out over .5% of commission. Nawmean.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Gotta remember, buying agent is beholden to the buyer. So if your sister's client tells them 2% flat, I don't think there's anything the agent, per se, can do? They can't back out of a sale and fuck a buyer over. I'd have to assume there's some kind of legalese/morality behind the agent backing out of a deal because of their own financial gain, screwing over a client (the buyer)?

I'm pulling that out of my ass but basically it would be scummy as fuck for a buyer to be hyped for your house, and they can't buy it because the buying agent is a greedy fuck that backs out over .5% of commission. Nawmean.
Depends how stupid the buyers are. If they're relying on their agent to feed them listings, and the agent finds out that my listing would only pay them 2%, they might not show the house.

Thread Info