šŸˆ NFL Official Chicago Bears Draft Discussion

What should the Bears do with the #1 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
Flyn Flyn

We're all waiting.

You can do it....it's 3 little words.

I WAS WRONG
1000003031.gif

Reactions: Bigturbonotch

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
Got it.

Appreciate the input.

Are you willing to also admit you were wrong?
I'm not completely out on Fields yet, but I was never fully in on Fields either. We saw some marginal improvement year over year, but I think his major deficiency was how fast his eyes were processing what was happening on the field. If he can fix that I think he still has starter potential.

I was leaning to the move on from him like 3/4 into last season from the financial side, to be able to pay a rookie contract on a QB is huge, and I think Williams has a higher ceiling.

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
I'm not completely out on Fields yet, but I was never fully in on Fields either. We saw some marginal improvement year over year, but I think his major deficiency was how fast his eyes were processing what was happening on the field. If he can fix that I think he still has starter potential.

I was leaning to the move on from him like 3/4 into last season from the financial side, to be able to pay a rookie contract on a QB is huge, and I think Williams has a higher ceiling.
Works for me.

Reactions: Maro

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Historically you're definitely right, I'd say it falls on the coaching staff and OC/QB coach more than anything else though.

We'll see how Waldon/Joseph does. There's some history of success in that area with improving Geoff & Smith, so fingers crossed that translates to rookies šŸ¤ž
He wasnā€™t the offensive coordinator when Geoff had a few good years. So Iā€™m not giving him any credit at all for that. Iā€™ll give him credit for Geno having a good year. He loves to use the 2 TE sets, and we have the TEā€™s for him to run that offense. Fingers crossed as well, but I just donā€™t have any confidence in the Bears as an organization.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Canā€™t wait for them to trade number one away for two or three and a lesser QB thatā€™s gonna be a bust.
If they trade back it will be to #2 and they will take Daniels. No way in hell they trade back any further than that.

I didnā€™t realize until this morning. We only have 4 picks and 2 are in the first 10. Nothing at all in the 2nd rd. So trading back and taking Daniels imo can happen. Need a QB, edge rusher, tackle, WR, center which they can take later and hopefully develop.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
If they trade back it will be to #2 and they will take Daniels. No way in hell they trade back any further than that.

I didnā€™t realize until this morning. We only have 4 picks and 2 are in the first 10. Nothing at all in the 2nd rd. So trading back and taking Daniels imo can happen. Need a QB, edge rusher, tackle, WR, center which they can take later and hopefully develop.
Agreed mostly, minus the trade down from #1. They should just take the hit on the short number of picks and take the "generational talent" QB, maybe trade down the #9 if their top guy isn't there

We need: QB, DT, edge, wr in that order, imo.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I fail to see how this trade helps anything. Yes I know the haters and trolls are happy. But now we have a much better defense. Improving offense weapons and no quarterback. New offensive coordinator with a rookie qb. No solid veteran. Offense is worse off now than at this point last year. Even if Williams comes in completely understands a new pro offensive, you all know that ebberfuse will more than likely be gone next year. So just like Tribusky and Fields and next Williams new offensive every year again.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
But why not keep him and trade down? Williams seems far from a sure thing. Harrison does though. And here I hope to to eat my words but no way is Williams producing from game 1. Chances are slim and none.
And then lose out on a top pick and keep the same ole, same ole ineptitude at the game manager position.

No thanks.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
And here I hope to to eat my words but no way is Williams producing from game 1. Chances are slim and none.
How many rookie QBā€™s do? Hopefully whoever they draft will come around the 2nd half of the season. Or at least show some signs that they are going to come around.

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
How many rookie QBā€™s do? Hopefully whoever they draft will come around the 2nd half of the season. Or at least show some signs that they are going to come around.
Agreed, odds would say that Fields would be better than a rookie initially, but whoever they draft ceiling should be higher.

I think I remember hearing that they way they've been trying to structure the contracts to be retaining key pieces a couple years in to when Williams(or whatever rookie) should be hitting their stride.

There will be growing pains for a rookie coming in, there almost always are, so this year could be rough.

Even if Williams comes in completely understands a new pro offensive, you all know that ebberfuse will more than likely be gone next year. So just like Tribusky and Fields and next Williams new offensive every year again.
There's a good chance that the clock on Eberflus would reset with the rookie QB coming in as the bar for winning is lowered. Unless he loses the locker room, or him and Poles don't get along, I'd think he'd be around in 2025 if they keep around the same wins.

One thing I did hear that makes sense is that they have to like at least a couple of the rookie QBs over Fields. If it was just Williams that they were eyeing, they would've held on to Fields as a plan B till the draft and unload him in a trade then. That way if something went dramatically wrong (legal, refusal to sign, etc) with Williams before the draft they'd be covered at the position

Thread Info