⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
The tricky part of this is...he's the big cog in the machine this season.

Don't think they are where they are without his performance.
If Ohtani has his 2nd TJS and is going to miss most of next year (will probably do what Harper did this year)
Then Belly is the top free agent position player next year. The man is going to get paid!

Absolutely, iirc he has the most RBI's in the 2nd half or at least he did about a week ago.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
15-7 win today. W! Finally put up some much needed offense late in the game to help put those two terrible blown saves from Fri night and Sat in the rear view mirror. Hopefully those games were the kick in the ass they needed to fuel them for the next few weeks... This was the Cubs 21st game with 10+ runs (2nd in MLB) and really shows this team has some weapons. Playoffs tend to favor the teams with good pitchers, but we gotta get there first.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
15-7 win today. W! Finally put up some much needed offense late in the game to help put those two terrible blown saves from Fri night and Sat in the rear view mirror. Hopefully those games were the kick in the ass they needed to fuel them for the next few weeks... This was the Cubs 21st game with 10+ runs (2nd in MLB) and really shows this team has some weapons. Playoffs tend to favor the teams with good pitchers, but we gotta get there first.
I do not trust Alzolay as closer. Gives up too much hard contact. Yes playoffs come down to pitching and defense especially the deeper you go.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I do not trust Alzolay as closer. Gives up too much hard contact. Yes playoffs come down to pitching and defense especially the deeper you go.
AA has certainly cooled off the last 10 games or so. Think Shane Greene is the solution? I'm not really familiar with him, only recently reading that he's basically bounced around since being a decent closer for Detroit a number of years ago. Apparently looked good enough in AAA Iowa for the Cubs to bring him up. Not that Ross always makes the best decisions in the first place, but I can see where it's not always obvious what the solution is...

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Chicago White SOCKS Stadium Lmmfao

IMG_3684.jpeg

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
AA has certainly cooled off the last 10 games or so. Think Shane Greene is the solution? I'm not really familiar with him, only recently reading that he's basically bounced around since being a decent closer for Detroit a number of years ago. Apparently looked good enough in AAA Iowa for the Cubs to bring him up. Not that Ross always makes the best decisions in the first place, but I can see where it's not always obvious what the solution is...
I dont know what the solution is as I dont think they have the solution on the team or in the minors. It takes a special breed to be a closer and as of now Alzolay isnt it imo. Possibly in the future, he might develop into that guy.

Steele was dealing today, hopefully we can close this one out.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Steele pitched the best game of any Cubs pitcher in the past 8 years today.... Arrieta's no hitter is probably the next closest back in 2015.

Steele is the real deal, probably going to win the Cy Young if he just maintains for the next month.
IDK man, Hendricks pitched a hell of a game in 16 in the clincher vs the Dodgers. 8 innings, 2 hits, no walks, and no runs.

Yes Steele has become the Ace of the staff. Not sure he gets the CY Young though, its Snell's to lose imo. Strider is right there as well.
Not that Steele doesnt deserve it, but he is still flying under the radar per say, meaning he isnt really talked about much nationally.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Feeling cautiously optimistic as the season winds down, although it can fall apart quickly.

2.5 back of the lead in the Central. Up 3 games in the Wild Card Chase.
View attachment 177305View attachment 177304
I just dont trust this team enough yet to start thinking playoffs. In another 2 weeks, I'd like to see where they are and go from there.
The guys in the pen are tired and its starting to show. As we talked about, Alzolay worries me especially against the better teams.

Thoughts on re-signing Candelerio? I wouldnt mind them offering him a 3-4yr deal, as they dont have a 3rd base prospect even remotely close to being MLB ready. Wisdom needs to go and the sooner the better, Morel or the midget (Madrigal) arent the full time answers at 3rd either. I like Morel and the Midget, but they arent everyday players imo.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I just dont trust this team enough yet to start thinking playoffs. In another 2 weeks, I'd like to see where they are and go from there.
The guys in the pen are tired and its starting to show. As we talked about, Alzolay worries me especially against the better teams.

Thoughts on re-signing Candelerio? I wouldnt mind them offering him a 3-4yr deal, as they dont have a 3rd base prospect even remotely close to being MLB ready. Wisdom needs to go and the sooner the better, Morel or the midget (Madrigal) arent the full time answers at 3rd either. I like Morel and the Midget, but they arent everyday players imo.
Yeah, the playoff picture will be less blurry as they head into the last week, especially, like Gladiator mentioned. Those last 3 against the Brewers will likely be the make or break for them.

I'm not thrilled with Candelerio for 3b, as he's a lifetime .240 hitter with only hitting over 20 HRs once (this season) out of the last 6 full years. Madrigal provides a solid contact hitter in the lineup (.283 lifetime) but basically no power threat. I'd like to see Morel continue to get opportunities to develop at 3rd, and he can play outfield too which improves the team versatility overall. I realize we won't have an All-Star at every position, of course, but of the 3, I'd probably go with Morel next year, but could live with either Madrigal or Candelrio there.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah, the playoff picture will be less blurry as they head into the last week, especially, like Gladiator mentioned. Those last 3 against the Brewers will likely be the make or break for them.

I'm not thrilled with Candelerio for 3b, as he's a lifetime .240 hitter with only hitting over 20 HRs once (this season) out of the last 6 full years. Madrigal provides a solid contact hitter in the lineup (.283 lifetime) but basically no power threat. I'd like to see Morel continue to get opportunities to develop at 3rd, and he can play outfield too which improves the team versatility overall. I realize we won't have an All-Star at every position, of course, but of the 3, I'd probably go with Morel next year, but could live with either Madrigal or Candelrio there.
I know Candelerio isnt going to knock your socks off offensively. I just think he is the best option for the next few years, unless they plan on trading for a 3rd baseman. He is a switch hitter with some power. There arent any 3rd baseman free agents available next year that "you have to have". You cant have your 3rd baseman (midget) hitting 2-5HR's a year not to mention he cant stay healthy. Morel is turning into Baez v2 offensively, maybe not that bad yet, but he is trending that way. He did the same shit last year, started off great, then as the season goes on he tails off. Thats why I say he isnt an everyday player imo.
Morel BA has dropped 52 points since mid June, SLG has dropped over 200 points in the same time frame. I like him a lot, and I think he has a flair for the dramatic, but he isnt trending in the right direction.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I know Candelerio isnt going to knock your socks off offensively. I just think he is the best option for the next few years, unless they plan on trading for a 3rd baseman. He is a switch hitter with some power. There arent any 3rd baseman free agents available next year that "you have to have". You cant have your 3rd baseman (midget) hitting 2-5HR's a year not to mention he cant stay healthy. Morel is turning into Baez v2 offensively, maybe not that bad yet, but he is trending that way. He did the same shit last year, started off great, then as the season goes on he tails off. Thats why I say he isnt an everyday player imo.
Morel BA has dropped 52 points since mid June, SLG has dropped over 200 points in the same time frame. I like him a lot, and I think he has a flair for the dramatic, but he isnt trending in the right direction.
All fair points. Candelerio does represent the safe and serviceable choice to get what a team would want from the 3b position next season. I just think that Morel has a higher potential ceiling. He needs some regular playing time, whether it's here or in AAA to continue his development as he's still quite young. I don't want him turning into Baez 2.0 either (unless it's Javy from 2017-2019).

Reactions: Shawn1112

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Why did Ross pull Taillon. The Mfer only threw 70ish pitches and gave up 1 hit thru 6. Only 1 ball hit to the outfield.
Win or lose, I just dont understand that one. I get not wanting guys to see him a 3rd time. But he wasnt giving up any hard contact
Maybe because Ross didn't trust him going further or felt the bullpen needed work? We'll never know as Ross chose not to answer:

From reporter John Dietz:
Me to David Ross: Can you explain Jameson Taillon was pulled after 6 innings?
A: “He was done.”

Q: Why was he done?
A: “Because I chose to take him out of the game. That's kind of my choice, right?”

Q: Usually guys with 77 pitches go a little longer.
A: “OK.”

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info