Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So, not to be the "battery life complainer". But I know I've messed up my battery from the start being as I was one of the people who hated to see it below 50% before I ever realized that it's better to let it get below 20% to get a full cycle charge.

That being said, I'm going to get a new battery. I've been looking around and I don't want a big battery, but from what I can tell there are quite a few aftermarket batteries that hold a bigger charge that still fit in the stock holding place with no changes to the phone. I know it's nothing crazy in charge difference, but I figured since I'm going to get a new one anyways I'd ask if anyone has bought/used a different/bigger battery.
I use and EVO so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

http://store.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-batteries.htm

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Like Mook said the Motoblur stuff is pretty lame on it. That's how all Motorola Android phones are though. I banned that shit from my phone not even a few days after I got it. Also, the network is incredibly slow for 2 reasons: 1. AT&T way jumped the ball on the 4G network release. I thought that it would at least be semi decent but it's slow as balls right now. I'm sure it will speed up once the network is in full force but it's disappointing how much AT&T doesn't give a shit. 2. You can't turn off 4G and turn on 3G vice versa which in my opinion sucks. So when I don't have 4G it drops me straight down to the Edge network. :dnc:.

Other than that and the normal Android OS bugs that are expected from a first release phone, I love mine. The phone itself is really an incredible piece of technology. It's super fast and smooth and I can browse the web on it with ease just like a laptop. I wish I could have afforded the laptop dock but I can't swing the $500 for it. The fingerprint scanner is also cool as hell. It really works too, I let people try it out and some of them are amazed by it lol. The resolution is also incredible on it. You can get them now I believe with an upgrade for $130 on Amazon. I paid $200 for mine at AT&T and other than the slow network it was worth every penny.

That's what I like to hear. I'm kind of getting bored/tired of my iPhone 4. It's great and all and lasts me all day but I'm just getting bored. I wanted to kind of switch it up a bit.

As for the dock....Not worth it IMO. Basic programs with limited functuality (sp?), as well as; uses the phones internals as the heart and would of the laptop dock. Over priced for what it is. For that much money, I can buy a decent small laptop or netbook that's 2x faster and that can do more things. I think it's cool and all but over priced for what it is. Maybe I'll check out the phone within he next couple weeks but I won't be upgrading. So I'll be paying full price.

That's what I like to hear. I'm kind of getting bored/tired of my iPhone 4. It's great and all and lasts me all day but I'm just getting bored. I wanted to kind of switch it up a bit.

As for the dock....Not worth it IMO. Basic programs with limited functuality (sp?), as well as; uses the phones internals as the heart and would of the laptop dock. Over priced for what it is. For that much money, I can buy a decent small laptop or netbook that's 2x faster and that can do more things. I think it's cool and all but over priced for what it is. Maybe I'll check out the phone within he next couple weeks but I won't be upgrading. So I'll be paying full price.

Yeah I'm waiting for aftermarket companies to come out with a dock, then I'll buy one. Definitely try it out first though if you are paying full price. It does have a very nice feel to it. The first thing I noticed when the lady handed it to me was that it was super light. But like I said the signal is meh. I'm doing some research to see if there's a way I can just turn off the 4G and just run 3G.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
android kills off apps on its own when theyre not needed. ive actually found, in the case of battery use, that letting android handle things, my batter life is better. i use system panel (its an app) and monitor whats running and SOMETIMES i will kill off one or two apps that didnt end themselves (games sometimes).

i would recommend just downloading "system panel" and monitor whats going on that way.

My phone came with a task manager on it already, which I assume is similar to this system panel app you're talking about. Cause I can basically do the same thing with it. I can control what apps I want running at all times and what apps I want to end automatically after the display has been off for a certain amount of time. I just checked out the system panel app on the market though and it does sound like basically the same idea from the description. Except that my task manager doesn't have fancy pie charts and graphs and whatnot.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Yeah I'm waiting for aftermarket companies to come out with a dock, then I'll buy one. Definitely try it out first though if you are paying full price. It does have a very nice feel to it. The first thing I noticed when the lady handed it to me was that it was super light. But like I said the signal is meh. I'm doing some research to see if there's a way I can just turn off the 4G and just run 3G.

I would have figured some app in the marketplace or something would allow such a thing. What kind of SIM does it use? I just want to know if it'll be a pain in the ass to keep switching from i4 to atrix. It probably wouldn't be as often, but none the less you know.

As for the dock...Who knows when and IF any other companies will make a dock for the Atrix. I thought it was a cool feature but for what it is and the price...no thanks. I wouldn't mind playing around with one to check out myself, but I rather buy netbook or laptop for about the same price that can do more.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
so sprint 4g is apparently alive and kicking in elgin. i dunno why my upload is so shitty (its usually way higher), but my download is :eek3: this is on 2 bars. not even full. i also dont know why it chose an indiana server, haha.

5538776976_68eed856f0_z.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Evo 3D gets announced today :noes:

speculation
the next-gen EVO does indeed have a 1.2GHz dual-core MSM8660 Snapdragon CPU, Android 2.3 (with Sense UI), and a 960 x 540 qHD screen resolution. Filling in the blanks are a 4.3-inch autostereoscopic 3D display, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of ROM, 1.3-megapixel front camera, two 5-megapixel rear cameras, and a dedicated camera button. Powering the proceedings is a 1730mAh battery, and topping it all off are 1080p and 720p 3D output via HDMI, as well as new YouTube 3D and Blockbuster 3D apps preloaded.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia

Beatiful Widgets has a toggle widget that can turn 4g on and off. :wavey:

Beatiful Widgets has a toggle widget that can turn 4g on and off. :wavey:

Doesn't work. Those turn all data off period. I had to dial one of those crazy #*# numbers to get into the access menu and turn it off manually. However it still has the H+ symbol next to my service bars. Going to have to test out the connection to see if I'm actually on 3G, cause it will probably be much faster than before.

Thread Info