Official 2020-2021 NFL Football Thread

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Or it’s just hard to get to the Super Bowl....

unless you’re Brady. :rofl:

Is it hard? Of course. But other teams are doing it. Mahomes is about to go back to back.

The patriots have been in the Super Bowl more in the last 20 years than some teams have wins in the last 5 years combined.

I think it’s a large combo of things. I think one of them is Rodgers is overrated a bit. The commentators suck him dry every game, but every feb he’s sitting at home. And it’s not like he hasn’t had great weapons in the past.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Is it hard? Of course. But other teams are doing it. Mahomes is about to go back to back.

The patriots have been in the Super Bowl more in the last 20 years than some teams have wins in the last 5 years combined.

I think it’s a large combo of things. I think one of them is Rodgers is overrated a bit. The commentators suck him dry every game, but every feb he’s sitting at home. And it’s not like he hasn’t had great weapons in the past.

I don’t think he’s overrated from a player standpoint, but maybe he just lacks that Jordan “kill mode”?

I get what you’re saying for sure, but he’s a top tier QB for certain, no question about it.

Mahomes is a whole different animal..... I think he has a chance to really be one of the greats, and I think him being paired with Andy Reid is just a perfect pairing like Brady/Belichick was.

LaFleur seems to have the Packers on the right track, but is young as well.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Allen Robinson to the Pack? They grabbed Amos when they had the chance.

Imagine Rodgers throwing to Davante Adams and Allen Robinson.

I mean if they want to make a run at it that would be huge and would make Aaron want to keep playing. I’m sure if they brought in a huge name like that they would want assurances and to talk to Aaron to see how many years he’s going to be there still.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don’t think he’s overrated from a player standpoint, but maybe he just lacks that Jordan “kill mode”?

I get what you’re saying for sure, but he’s a top tier QB for certain, no question about it.

Mahomes is a whole different animal..... I think he has a chance to really be one of the greats, and I think him being paired with Andy Reid is just a perfect pairing like Brady/Belichick was.

LaFleur seems to have the Packers on the right track, but is young as well.

Both are great for sure. The talk around Mahomes annoys me a bit more than anything. Yes he’s good, he also has some of the best players around him at this point and time making huge down field plays.

They made a comment tonight like oh he can retire now and still be in the hall of fame.

Idk slow your roll, that’s a huge slap in the face to the all time greats. Just because you have 2 really good seasons does not make you great. Brady becoming a great was not even talked about, and he had a ring under his belt his first season.

I think it’s just disrespectful is all.

Reactions: FESTER665

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
  • Speaking after Sunday's NFC Championship Game loss, Aaron Rodgers said his future was "uncertain."
    “A lot of guys' futures, they’re uncertain, myself included," was Rodgers' exact quote. Parsing his words, The Athletic's Matt Schneidman concluded that Rodgers "fully sounded like someone who doesn't know if he will be the quarterback (in Green Bay) next season." This is just one reporter's interpretation, of course. Sunday was the latest in a long line of devastating Packers losses for 37-year-old Rodgers, who now has a first-round quarterback behind him on the depth chart. It's possible that wound hasn't healed, or will never heal. It's also possible Rodgers will start talking in the present again about his time in Green Bay after the sting of this defeat wears off. Stay tuned.
    SOURCE: Matt Schneidman on Twitter
    Jan 24, 2021, 7:27 PM ET

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

Sounds like every player who loses an NFL Championship game whos towards the end of their career.

I read that as "we will see who the team drafts and re-signs and they better take me being here into account!" essentially.

Look at who their UFA's are coming up, they can let Aaron Jones walk or try to see if he will sign a team friendly deal though I don't know if they will since he already rejected their top-5 offer. He's definitely not the #1 RB in the NFL so he's not making that kinda money...

They need to re-sign their Center for sure, Do they re-sign King after he just cost them a chance at the game? Im sure there are plenty of other moves they can make to clear some space as well.

I think if they make one or two moves to bolster the offense in FA it keeps Rodgers happy, then draft him another person as well, then they need to spend the rest of their money on defense.

Davante Adams becomes a UFA in 2022 and the team has an Aaron Rodgers out in 2022, I'm sure at a minimum they give it one more crack next year before they blow it all up.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
I don't remember the exact numbers but based on the cap situation the Packers can't afford to do anything besides keep Rodgers in 2021.

Edit:
Rodgers has the NFL's third-highest 2021 cap number at $36.352 million. Trading him before the $6.8 million becomes due would leave the Packers with a $31.556 million cap charge in 2021 from the remaining proration of his $57.5 million signing bonus and the $14.26 million converted into signing bonus during last December's contract restructure.

So even if they traded him before march they would take a 31 million dollar hit? Not happening.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Lions could trade Stafford and go after Rodgers, too. Word is Stafford is on the trade block.
Pipe dream
I don't remember the exact numbers but based on the cap situation the Packers can't afford to do anything besides keep Rodgers in 2021.

Edit:
Rodgers has the NFL's third-highest 2021 cap number at $36.352 million. Trading him before the $6.8 million becomes due would leave the Packers with a $31.556 million cap charge in 2021 from the remaining proration of his $57.5 million signing bonus and the $14.26 million converted into signing bonus during last December's contract restructure.

So even if they traded him before march they would take a 31 million dollar hit? Not happening.
Correct, they talked about that on the score this morning

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm jacked for this game. Can definitely never count brady out, but if they play like they did yesterday the chiefs will straight up blow them out. The game yesterday was won thanks to bucs defense, brady did not play well. Mahomes has 2 weeks to rest so he'll be nice and healthy

Gotta respect what brady has done though. His FIRST year with an all new team, no preseason to get in the swing of things, and still he's taking them to the SB for the first time in 19 years. Crazy

Reactions: Shawn1112

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I expect a close game. TB nearly beat the chiefs in the regular season. Also as if it matters this year it’s home field advantage for the bucks.

Win or lose the game either way Brady wins. Changing divisions, changing teams, no practices, no preseason. Injuries around the bucks etc and he still makes it to the super bowl. He is the winner of this contest without question. Hopefully it’s just a fun game to watch.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
People don't think much about it with these teams and their QBs but both of them have great defenses. I wonder if Mahomes' scramble ability will be the difference?
Buffalo had a great D and got 38 dropped on them, last 6 games they were giving up an average of 20pts per game.
I personally thought they were peaking at the right time, and picked them to go to the SB.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Buffalo had a great D and got 38 dropped on them, last 6 games they were giving up an average of 20pts per game.
I personally thought they were peaking at the right time, and picked them to go to the SB.

giphy.gif

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Rumor was Bears were interested in Duce Staley. He's going to the Lions to be their assistant head coach.

Pro Bowl is going to be a virtual game played using Madden 2021.

Nobody wants to go to a team with a staff on a final year of a deal and basically on the hot seat before the season ever starts.

Management needed to clean house and start fresh if they wanted new talent running things.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy has shut down speculation that the team will trade Aaron Rodgers this offseason, Rob Goldberg of Bleacher Report reports.

"We're not idiots. Aaron Rodgers will be back. He's our leader," Murphy told The 5th Quarter on WNFL via WNFL's Mark Daniels.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info