Official 2014 Income Tax Thread

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Just kidding, getting a little back. Started over from scratch now that I have all my paperwork. It didn't grab the education tax credit so that made it positive instead of owing ~$220.

So a question for the more informed. Should I keep my deductions the same as where they were at for this year? Single, "bread winner" where my income pays for and maintains my house. I'd assume I claim 1, correct? I honestly have no idea what I should be doing, just checked off what I thought was correct. Obviously I don't have too huge of a tax deficit by the end of the year but like everyone else, I'd rather not claim too much and "oops, you owe us 6 grand because you're stupid" or something. Basically, is ~$220 a good number to owe? I got the max amount of money I could have withheld during the year but at the end of the year, I didn't have a huge deficit?

Am I thinking too much?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
First year filing as married...should've not gotten married :rofl:

Between her being able to file as a single mom/head of household, and me being me...we used to make it rain during tax time.

Now we got back a decent amount of money, but less than half of what we got back last year as 2 "single" adults. :fu:

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
First year filing as married...should've not gotten married :rofl:

Between her being able to file as a single mom/head of household, and me being me...we used to make it rain during tax time.

Now we got back a decent amount of money, but less than half of what we got back last year as 2 "single" adults. :fu:

that sucks, I did real good when my wife wasnt claming taxes this year i fear getting hosed its the first year i claimed what i was supposed to so i dont expect to get much back i just dont want to pay

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
that sucks, I did real good when my wife wasnt claming taxes this year i fear getting hosed its the first year i claimed what i was supposed to so i dont expect to get much back i just dont want to pay

Damn man, hopefully numbers don't look shitty after you're done. For s & g's we tried to see how married filing separately would work... :nope: couldn't use my student loan interest, and I ended up owing the feds $800. :io:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Carter, if you want more money in your pocket come tax return, just claim 0 across the board.

Just got my Fed return today! Lets see how long it takes the state!

I honestly couldn't care about getting more or a huge return. It's nice, yes, but I just don't want to have to pay the government a large amount if I screwed something up.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Even better. The sooner I have it the better although it'll go towards the downplay mentioned of the new house I close on in May/June.

I always have to file "Married, filing separate" since my wife owns a company. Rather not have to pay the government and help her company out when I could pocket my own money. Her stuff is always separate from mine.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
this is the first year i filed my own. used turbo tax and due to my HSA account they made me buy their deluxe edition which was $29. then they charged me $34 to file both fed. and state returns together. so ended up paying $71 instead of the normal $200 that i normally pay to have them filed.

I ran into that. How much difference did the HSA thing make?

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
Make it rain, playa playa!!

wHI9Uw8.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info