Official 2014 Income Tax Thread

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
I'm actually not sure how mine will turn out.

I technically had no income in 2014 (no income since September 2013 when unemployment ran out).

I'm sure the government would "claim" I had health insurance (Medicaid), but despite applying early-mid December 2013, I wasn't notified until June-July 2014 that I'd been granted it. They told me they'd take care of any medical expenses that entire year, but then refused all I submitted b/c I hadn't "followed the rules". *rolls eyes*

Cort :) OLD CARS, STRONG HEARTS | memories, even if the whole world has forgotten
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"All your lies somehow left me blind" __ George Ducas __ 'Lipstick Promises'

snakebyte

Addict
Oct 30, 2011
ATX
can someone give me details on going exempt? i make like 30-40k a year before taxes. last year they took 7k from me and i only got 1200 back. from black friday till christmas eve i work 10-12 hour days 7 days a week. i hear alot of coworkers saying they just put exempt for the month of december... im thinking about doing it since the money i got back for the year is what they took out of my 2 december checks...

Do you get paid commission/bonus at all? Our company its considered a bonus each month so that we stay in a single tax bracket or something along those lines. Typically our commission checks are only around 60% of what we bring in, so say take last month for example, I brought in just shy of 8K in commission, without filing exempt I would have only seen around 5200. While filing exempt, I got 7400 since you still pay Medical and I believe SSC. Now, you need to make sure that at the end of year you have still paid the state enough that your not negative. At the end of the year, if you have filed exempt to much or to often, you'll end up upside down and owe the government. Not sure if that makes sense.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
Do you get paid commission/bonus at all? Our company its considered a bonus each month so that we stay in a single tax bracket or something along those lines. Typically our commission checks are only around 60% of what we bring in, so say take last month for example, I brought in just shy of 8K in commission, without filing exempt I would have only seen around 5200. While filing exempt, I got 7400 since you still pay Medical and I believe SSC. Now, you need to make sure that at the end of year you have still paid the state enough that your not negative. At the end of the year, if you have filed exempt to much or to often, you'll end up upside down and owe the government. Not sure if that makes sense.

i get paid biweekly so id only want to do it for 2 maybe 3 checks at the end of the year.

we have to hit a certain productivity level and if we go over by a certain amount we start getting incentive. i used to get like 200 bucks extra a check. thats the only time of bonus we get. its warehousing work.

snakebyte

Addict
Oct 30, 2011
ATX
i get paid biweekly so id only want to do it for 2 maybe 3 checks at the end of the year.

we have to hit a certain productivity level and if we go over by a certain amount we start getting incentive. i used to get like 200 bucks extra a check. thats the only time of bonus we get. its warehousing work.

I dont see you having an issue then, my coworkers who get the paid same as me will file exempt 4-6 Months a year and still receive a hefty refund. I think the smallest refund in our group other then mine was just a bit over 6K.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
I dont see you having an issue then, my coworkers who get the paid same as me will file exempt 4-6 Months a year and still receive a hefty refund. I think the smallest refund in our group other then mine was just a bit over 6K.

we have a big difference in income lol. i made like 30k and only brought in 22k. i claim 0. only got 1200 back.

i get really confused when it comes to taxes. i talked to alot of people at work that pretty much make exactly the same as me and are also single and claim 0... it seems people got anywhere from 500 to 2500 back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info