New whip: EcoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOST Edition

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Fixed....get a tune custom to your car and not some canned thing!

My tuner said that a canned tune is fine for someone with minimal mods, CAI & exhaust. He said the net gains with a custom tune would be like 7hp. I wouldn't pay a tuner $400 to get another 7hp. And that was coming from the guy who should be trying to sell me on his tune.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Livernois has tunes for the 2.0!

I've looked into it, just a big wuss with the warranty... Its a 2015 with 7k miles on it now, I don't drive it a ton but wouldn't mind livening it up some....

I like the Magnaflow exhaust as well, but not a fan of the 2.25 pipes and the price. It is full stainless though.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I've looked into it, just a big wuss with the warranty... Its a 2015 with 7k miles on it now, I don't drive it a ton but wouldn't mind livening it up some....

I like the Magnaflow exhaust as well, but not a fan of the 2.25 pipes and the price. It is full stainless though.

I tuned my 2015 F-150 with 1k miles based on Liv's reputation as a safe & reliable tuner :io:

44k miles & 1.5yrs later, not one problem.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
PCM would take a snapshot of dataset being outside Livernois's set parameters.

my question is how do they know the parameters they give you are the right ones for your vehicle without data logging, since every single car runs different and requires small tweeks in the tune to make run right, ive had 4 different tunes for coyote mustangs done by shops that all they do is tune cars mostly coyote mustangs all day every day and none of them have ever been perfect on one try, unless its a tune like what roush does light on timing rich on fuel no possible way it could blow up but it leaves a ton of power on the table, the car ran fine but it was a turd compared to what it runs like now with a tune custom made for the car

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I tuned my 2015 F-150 with 1k miles based on Liv's reputation as a safe & reliable tuner :io:

44k miles & 1.5yrs later, not one problem.

i-see-you-like-to-live-dangerously-thumb.jpg

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

The warranty will be up soon, so we'll see how it goes... Plus I can just put money towards the Cobra I suppose.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My tuner said that a canned tune is fine for someone with minimal mods, CAI & exhaust. He said the net gains with a custom tune would be like 7hp. I wouldn't pay a tuner $400 to get another 7hp. And that was coming from the guy who should be trying to sell me on his tune.

it would be different on a car with boost

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
my question is how do they know the parameters they give you are the right ones for your vehicle without data logging, since every single car runs different and requires small tweeks in the tune to make run right, ive had 4 different tunes for coyote mustangs done by shops that all they do is tune cars mostly coyote mustangs all day every day and none of them have ever been perfect on one try, unless its a tune like what roush does light on timing rich on fuel no possible way it could blow up but it leaves a ton of power on the table, the car ran fine but it was a turd compared to what it runs like now with a tune custom made for the car

I sent this exact post to my contact at Livernois so you (& the rest of the board) can get an answer straight from the horses mouth as that'll be the most beneficial to the discussion.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I sent this exact post to my contact at Livernois so you (& the rest of the board) can get an answer straight from the horses mouth as that'll be the most beneficial to the discussion.

If I like the response I may need your contacts information. :bowrofl:

I wish there were more stuff for it like from AMS or something so once the warranty is up I can get a little crazier with it... I found a bigger intercooler but its from CX racing or someplace ?!?!?

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Aside from plugs, MAP sensor, tune, and possibly intake...what is there to do? Hardpipes worth it? Been having a tough time finding a source for parts.

Intake is mostly worthless, I have one as it's larger than stock so it reduces spool time a bit but power gains are slim to none from it.

Tune + 3-bar map sensor, keep your plugs fresh & properly gapped, downpipes work well & help spool. Meth is a big one in the EB world too.

Can always toss a BOV on it too for sneezing.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Aside from plugs, MAP sensor, tune, and possibly intake...what is there to do? Hardpipes worth it? Been having a tough time finding a source for parts.

Depends how crazy you want to go. The standard 3 are the plugs, MAP sensor, and tune. Beyond that there is colder thermostat, down pipes, cat deletes, and meth injection, as the other "common" mods. Intakes seem to be pretty worthless other than making cool sounds. I've yet to see anyone claim any real difference from an intake.

The tune, MAP sensor, and plugs really make the car feel like a completely different car. I'm not going any further than these, because if anything does ever go wrong, I'd like to be able to turn my car back to stock in 15 minutes, instead of having to get under the car. I decided I'll take my chances with a warranty claim if something goes wrong. If Ford sends out an engineer and they find that I tuned it...oh well.

Read up on Ecoboost Performance Forum Most guys have Taurus SHO's on there, but a handful of Flex, Explorer, and MKS drivers too. Regardless, modding is all the same on the Flex/Taurus/MKS/Explorer.

You can buy a tune direct from LMS or Unleashed. Buy the MAP sensor from Rockauto.com (much cheaper than other places), and you can buy the plugs from Amazon.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Interesting, they told me no datalogging could be done for tune revisions when I was inquiring back in March, which was really the deciding factor for me going with Unleashed. I was too afraid to run a tune without it being datalogged and modified at least once.

Good to know though!

The LMS tuner doesn't datalog like the SCT. Plus the LMS tuner isn't transferable without a fee from Livernois. I'm thinking about tuning my wife's Edge Sport and would go with Unleashed over LMS for those two reasons.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
One thing I've learned, on Ford vehicles, is to leave the intake box alone. Stock filter (not even a K&N drop in.) The Ford MAF's are super sensitive and will start to have issues with the oiled filters, especially. Most I'd do with the intake system, would go hardpipes

Had a K&N in the ST for 20k, not a single problem. Have 6k on the Injen, not a single problem.

Thread Info