New whip: EcoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOST Edition

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Livernois tunes can be sent back for revision if you aren't comfortable. I've had mine adjusted once & only once because it was near perfect out of the box. Livernois' in-house tuner can also control way more parameters than an SCT/nGauge/HPTuners/insertyourdevicehere. They have a long-standing relationship with the Big 3's respective R&D departments. That's why they are often first to market with safe, reliable tunes for domestic vehicles.

Interesting, they told me no datalogging could be done for tune revisions when I was inquiring back in March, which was really the deciding factor for me going with Unleashed. I was too afraid to run a tune without it being datalogged and modified at least once.

Good to know though!

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
One thing I've learned, on Ford vehicles, is to leave the intake box alone. Stock filter (not even a K&N drop in.) The Ford MAF's are super sensitive and will start to have issues with the oiled filters, especially. Most I'd do with the intake system, would go hardpipes

Same thing on the Cruze's with cheap CAI. ZZp and K&N doesn't pop codes. Its due to the diameter of the pipe being changed. And at least for the Cruze, theres no performance gain from a HAI or CAI vs a drop in. Just noise change

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
From everything I've read (and I spent months debating and researching), the dealer can't find out. But no matter who your tuner, a Ford engineer sent in to investigate will always be able to tell if you flashed the ECU.

PCM contains a flash counter. An engineer can always find out how many times its been flashed.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Interesting, they told me no datalogging could be done for tune revisions when I was inquiring back in March, which was really the deciding factor for me going with Unleashed. I was too afraid to run a tune without it being datalogged and modified at least once.

Good to know though!

To be clear, I did not datalog. I just asked for a revised tune. With the added parameters the Livernois tuner has over the SCT-based tuners the need for datalogging isn't there simply because they can control every single line-item the PCM does. In the case of the 2015+ 3.5 & 2.7 EcoBoost trucks, they had test mules before the general public even had their hands on the new truck so they've got the hands-on hours with these engines when developing a tune file.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
To be clear, I did not datalog. I just asked for a revised tune. With the added parameters the Livernois tuner has over the SCT-based tuners the need for datalogging isn't there simply because they can control every single line-item the PCM does. In the case of the 2015+ 3.5 & 2.7 EcoBoost trucks, they had test mules before the general public even had their hands on the new truck so they've got the hands-on hours with these engines when developing a tune file.

So how do they know your tune isn't pulling timing or is a touch lean without datalogging, I've never had a tune that was perfect without at least one revision

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
And that's what I'm scared of...

With a safe tune from a credible tuner I wouldn't worry about warranty issues. In all of my research I've yet to find an instance in catastrophic failure as a result of a Livernois tune. Maybe Ryan can chime in on Unleashed's track record as I have no knowledge.

I can tell you that SSI is the devil & you need to stay far away from them.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
So how do they know your tune isn't pulling timing or is a touch lean without datalogging, I've never had a tune that was perfect without at least one revision

Truck would go into limp mode if outside of their set parameters, PCM would record the event which the handheld can read. EcoBoost's have a factory wideband sensor.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
With a safe tune from a credible tuner I wouldn't worry about warranty issues. In all of my research I've yet to find an instance in catastrophic failure as a result of a Livernois tune. Maybe Ryan can chime in on Unleashed's track record as I have no knowledge.

Cool, thanks :bigthumb:

I'm probably going to wait until spring to do anything...get it through winter, and see if anything crops up...then I can start to get into it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Truck would go into limp mode if outside of their set parameters, PCM would record the event which the handheld can read. EcoBoost's have a factory wideband sensor.

Yeah I'm sure the system is pretty similar to the Mustangs also factory widebands, the wide bands will just compensate for something being wrong it will run fine it just will pull timing on it's own and add fuel where it needs too, but that Doesn't mean the tune is spot on

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

I'm also not afraid of catastrophic failure, necessarily, as a result of the tune, just Ford denying say a turbo or PDU replacement because of the tune.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Cool, thanks :bigthumb:

I'm probably going to wait until spring to do anything...get it through winter, and see if anything crops up...then I can start to get into it.

I'd still change the plugs & ensure they are properly gapped. Factory calls for .034 however in my experience there is still some stumble, rough idle or spark blow-out issues & would highly recommend going down to .030". Use Motorcraft SP534's.

I'm also not afraid of catastrophic failure, necessarily, as a result of the tune, just Ford denying say a turbo or PDU replacement because of the tune.

Not sure where you're at but my dealer gives absolutely 0 fucks about being tuned. (Currie Ford of Frankfort)

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I'd still change the plugs & ensure they are properly gapped. Factory calls for .034 however in my experience there is still some stumble, rough idle or spark blow-out issues & would highly recommend going down to .030". Use Motorcraft SP534's.

Not sure where you're at but my dealer gives absolutely 0 fucks about being tuned. (Currie Ford of Frankfort)

Do you work at Currie ford?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

What oil could/should I run

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Yeah I'm sure the system is pretty similar to the Mustangs also factory widebands, the wide bands will just compensate for something being wrong it will run fine it just will pull timing on it's own and add fuel where it needs too, but that Doesn't mean the tune is spot on

PCM would take a snapshot of dataset being outside Livernois's set parameters.

Thread Info