• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical New Wagoneer Issues - Need TCG’s advice

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
2.5 months and 4,200 miles and got some issues on our new Wagoneer with shakes/vibrations at highway speeds. This has been going on/noticed for over a month now. It’s been to the dealer twice so far to fix but to no avail.

What the dealer has done so far:

Road force tire balancing. Two tires could not balance and we’re replaced. Tech said he saw feathering on them as well.

Alignment - twice. Though the first did not fix the steering wheel off center issue I showed and the second time did.

Tire rotation.

All this and the truck still has a shake vibration at 55+. The steering wheel isn’t shaking really, but it’s still felt when driving even on perfect pavement. I’d almost say it a minor vibration and when any road defect it hits, it amplifies the shake/vibration.

Anyone have any suggestions of where else to tell the dealership to look into besides tires and alignment?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
If the service advisor is willing to play ball, have them take a set of wheels/tires off a brand new one off the lot. Throw them on yours and then have them drive it. If it's tire/wheel related, then you'll no longer have the vibration. If it doesn't resolve it, now they have to dig deeper and possibly call an FSE in to help diagnose it.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
If the service advisor is willing to play ball, have them take a set of wheels/tires off a brand new one off the lot. Throw them on yours and then have them drive it. If it's tire/wheel related, then you'll no longer have the vibration. If it doesn't resolve it, now they have to dig deeper and possibly call an FSE in to help diagnose it.
That’s a good idea, but I don’t think they had another on the lot… ram 1500 wheels might work though… This will be the third time going in so I hope they get an FSE in soon anyways.

Warped rotors? Especially if your wife is driving?
Braking is buttery smooth so I thought that would rule that out?

Only good thing in all this is each time they pickup and drop off from my house, provide a 3 row grand Cherokee as a loaner, and detail and fill my car’s tank full.
Jeep trying to be fancy.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
That’s a good idea, but I don’t think they had another on the lot… ram 1500 wheels might work though… This will be the third time going in so I hope they get an FSE in soon anyways.

Braking is buttery smooth so I thought that would rule that out?

Only good thing in all this is each time they pickup and drop off from my house, provide a 3 row grand Cherokee as a loaner, and detail and fill my car’s tank full.
Jeep trying to be fancy.
I'd mention it to the Service Advisor or Service Manager. We used to do that all the time to eliminate that as an issue.

However, my guess is it may come down to a wheel or tire being the problem. A lot of guys that road force don't turn the 'smart weight' setting off, and once they do, it gives you an entirely different reading (a more accurate reading too).

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Tell'em to fix it or give you a new vehicle, shouldnt be your responsibility to track down anything and waste your time continuing to bring it in, especially the money these things cost now.

Warped rotors? Especially if your wife is driving?
OOOOOOoooohh!!!

photo.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have a hard time thinking it's tires/wheels considering you're not feeling the vibration through the steering wheel, and the vibration was unchanged after a tire rotation. Perhaps driveshaft/u-joint? Either way, it's not up to us to diagnose. Escalate with the service dept until they can't do any more. Then reach out to the brand customer service line.

Reactions: Angus and Shawn1112

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I have a hard time thinking it's tires/wheels considering you're not feeling the vibration through the steering wheel, and the vibration was unchanged after a tire rotation. Perhaps driveshaft/u-joint? Either way, it's not up to us to diagnose. Escalate with the service dept until they can't do any more. Then reach out to the brand customer service line.
If not felt in the steering wheel, it's typically coming from the rear then.

But, yes, escalate it and get that thing fixed or lemon it.

Reactions: Angus and Bru

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yup, gonna go with something in the front driveline... Driveshaft/U-joint, something internal to the transfer case... Do you have a way to select just 2WD and see if it goes away? Remember these modern AWD systems run all drivetrain up to the hubs and are running all the time (unless you can manually turn it off by putting it in 2WD).

Reactions: Shawn1112

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Not what I want to hear as I have actively been looking at these lol
Actually I picked Satera's brain today as well as he has one. He raved about his and said him and his Wife absolutely love it.
Besides this, we absolutely love this truck! The grand wagoneers seems to have more tech issues with all their additional screens/tech, etc.

How is the AC in it? Had one for a rental and it 95-100f heat it had to work hard to get the cabin cool. 5.7 Hemi.
My ac is plenty cold and it’s stupid hot here in SC. BUT a common issue for other owners has been poor ac performance…

Toadman

Aug 18, 2022
Hello, have a Grand Wagoneer Series III and have a little over 10K miles on it.

At a little over 2K miles started to vibrate. All stock wheels and tires.

First tried rotate and balancing tires, no change. Then went to dealership for front end alignment, no change. Then dealership said it needed a new wheel and tire, so $1700.00 later, and still have the same vibration as before, no change.

Been at the dealership now for 45 days and no answers.

Wagoneer tells me they are going to Goodyear to get them to pay for a new set of tires but the dealership took the wheels and tires from another Grand Wagoneer and installed them on ours with no change to the vibration.

Dealership will not even return my calls now for a status update.

Anyone here experiencing this with the stock set up?

Are there any known fixes for this?

Insane to spend $120K on a vehicle that no one can fix with only 10K miles!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info