nerd? don't like internet ads? step in.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Sooo I wanna do this, but I read through this thread and now I’m somewhat confused. I’d like to have both the ad blocker and VPN, is this doable with Xfinity WiFi? I use to be a little computer savvy, seems I’ve lost that! Some of it seems easy but I’m afraid I’ll buy it try it and then give up.

From the quick reading I have done, I dont think the Xfinity setup will let you change the DNS server. That doesnt mean it will not work, but it requires more network jargon that makes my head swell. Like having pihole be your DHCP server and then manually setting all of your devices IP addresses manually and OMG............:trump:

What will your VPN be used for? Self hosted or third party?

Both serve different purposes. My home VPN allows me to be on my local network while not at home, consider it as a secure extension of your network to outside the house allowing you to access your computers and devices at home while being away.

I use my home vpn to be able to see my home automation stuff when not at home without having to expose it to the internet. This will not work for torrents since your IP address will still be on the VPN.

A third party VPN (I use PIA) will allow you to change regions for different services, mask your original IP and wrap your data in a secure connection that should be free from prying eyes (and ISPs). I use this for torrents and to change regions.

ive done that enough to where i use a password manager immediately when i change it... otherwise itll be forgotten forever :rofl:

So, I can have a VPN running on my own network, and use that to log into my machines and not have it be a third party like Nord or TunnelBear? Cause if so I can use OpenVPN on unRAID.

By then she'll be out and I'll need to be here.

Surely she can wait in the car while I run in after her surgery? Right? :noes:

Walk in, all the way to the back, turn left, all the way down. Usually in a bin. Get a 0 and a 0W even if you need it or not. :io:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
From the quick reading I have done, I dont think the Xfinity setup will let you change the DNS server. That doesnt mean it will not work, but it requires more network jargon that makes my head swell. Like having pihole be your DHCP server and then manually setting all of your devices IP addresses manually and OMG............:trump:

So, I can have a VPN running on my own network, and use that to log into my machines and not have it be a third party like Nord or TunnelBear? Cause if so I can use OpenVPN on unRAID.

Walk in, all the way to the back, turn left, all the way down. Usually in a bin. Get a 0 and a 0W even if you need it or not. :io:

get a real router! lol

I use DHCP with address reservation via MAC and static addresses. Then i set my DHCP range higher then all my reservations. This allows me to see if a rogue device connects to the network (unless they mac spoof and other trickery) or something is pulling a DHCP address that isnt reserved.

Yes, install openvpn and forward the port you setup. You would then create a certificate that you import on your device running openvpn. This should allow you to connect to your home and access your devices remotely without needed teamviewer.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
What will your VPN be used for? Self hosted or third party?

Both serve different purposes. My home VPN allows me to be on my local network while not at home, consider it as a secure extension of your network to outside the house allowing you to access your computers and devices at home while being away.

I use my home vpn to be able to see my home automation stuff when not at home without having to expose it to the internet. This will not work for torrents since your IP address will still be on the VPN.

A third party VPN (I use PIA) will allow you to change regions for different services, mask your original IP and wrap your data in a secure connection that should be free from prying eyes (and ISPs). I use this for torrents and to change regions.

Uhh.. I’m renting right now so not a thing as far as home automation or accessing any cameras or the like. Mainly just to keep xfinitys nose out of my business. Even then I probably am not even a blip on their radar since I hardly ever stream something I’m not paying for.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Uhh.. I’m renting right now so not a thing as far as home automation or accessing any cameras or the like. Mainly just to keep xfinitys nose out of my business. Even then I probably am not even a blip on their radar since I hardly ever stream something I’m not paying for.
Then you want a third party like PIA vpn

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Finally did this yesterday.... Pretty cool

Screenshot_20191228-151718.png

Screenshot_20191228-151726.png

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
So far this has been the best one yet. Haven't heard a peep from the wife after just redoing the pihole. Usually i hear something :rofl:
I think I was most worried about tiktok. So I was looking at the admin page and she was asking me questions about pihole so I took that opportunity to load up that block list and had her tiktok. So far so good.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info