nerd? don't like internet ads? step in.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
No performance hit on being wireless?

nope. I use a Pi Zero W for pihole/VPN duties. The pihole is just a DNS server so the information gets cached on frequently visited sites. The initial connection to a new site might be slightly slower (were talking milliseconds) , but after that it is cached and has no effect on speed. If anything it is faster because it doesn't have to leave the network for DNS requests.

The only issue I've had is when the pihole goes down and is the only DNS, then traffic doesn't no where to go and you'll get no internet. Just make sure in your router you set a secondary DNS address in case the pihole fails then traffic will still route to the second DNS. I use 1.1.1.1 since fuck google.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
No performance hit on being wireless?

[MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION] is that the version you are using?

Mine is actually running on my data server as a docker. I dont use a raspberry pi. However, Ive heard that there really isnt much performance hit using a zero w, but of course people will conflict that, so Im not 100% sure. I cant see it being terrible though.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
nope. I use a Pi Zero W for pihole/VPN duties. The pihole is just a DNS server so the information gets cached on frequently visited sites. The initial connection to a new site might be slightly slower (were talking milliseconds) , but after that it is cached and has no effect on speed. If anything it is faster because it doesn't have to leave the network for DNS requests.

The only issue I've had is when the pihole goes down and is the only DNS, then traffic doesn't no where to go and you'll get no internet. Just make sure in your router you set a secondary DNS address in case the pihole fails then traffic will still route to the second DNS. I use 1.1.1.1 since fuck google.

Mine is actually running on my data server as a docker. I dont use a raspberry pi. However, Ive heard that there really isnt much performance hit using a zero w, but of course people will conflict that, so Im not 100% sure. I cant see it being terrible though.

Sweet, looks like I am going to have to order up one of these and give it a go. I already have an SD card to use so I just need the Pi Zero W and power.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

And there ya go.

For some reason I have my router set my DNS server as the pihole, but my PC still shows 2 DNS servers, which is weird. I think thats partially because of the router I have.

Also, :rofl: at Matt for not using Google DNS servers. I probably should change mine but lazy.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
here is another tip to run headless on the Pizero

After you flash the .iso, put the sd card into a PC and you should see a "boot" drive.

create an empty text file, name it ssh.txt

create another text file called wpa_supplicant.conf
add this to the file with your wifi information and save it as "all files" (not .txt)
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="YOUR_WIFI_SSID"
scan_ssid=1
psk="YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

copy both of those files (ssh.txt and wpa_supplicant.conf) to the root of the "Boot" drive. Then eject, plug the SD into the PI zero and power on.

The pi should boot up and Enable SSH while also connecting to your wifi network on boot up. This avoids needing any monitor/KB/Mouse to setup the unit to connect to the network.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
And there ya go.

For some reason I have my router set my DNS server as the pihole, but my PC still shows 2 DNS servers, which is weird. I think thats partially because of the router I have.

Also, :rofl: at Matt for not using Google DNS servers. I probably should change mine but lazy.

you can google the second DNS address to see where it is coming from. Probably from your ISP

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I totally don't want to drive to Westmont tonight but I sort of want to work on this.

I hate when the need to geek strikes hard!

i still need to head that direction to get that mount from you. You going to be around the 29th? ill be heading up to wombat's place and can swing over by you

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
you can google the second DNS address to see where it is coming from. Probably from your ISP

Probably. I kinda gave up on it. I have to figure it just shows it because like I said, when I tried doing the DHCP server or if I power down my server, internet goes dark until it comes back up or I fix it. LOL. Unless I change the DNS in the router.

also download putty... IT WILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND WITH PI!

https://putty.org

This for sure. Ive used Putty for lotsa retropie stuff and its just so nice and easy. Once again, unRAID has another docker so I dont even have putty on my PC. :rofl:

Hey Matt, so I started watching my query log, and I noticed analytics.plex.tv popped up and it was blocked. So I did me a search and found a reddit post right up your alley.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/778gom/newest_plex_update_sends_analytics_quite_often/

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Probably. I kinda gave up on it. I have to figure it just shows it because like I said, when I tried doing the DHCP server or if I power down my server, internet goes dark until it comes back up or I fix it. LOL. Unless I change the DNS in the router.

This for sure. Ive used Putty for lotsa retropie stuff and its just so nice and easy. Once again, unRAID has another docker so I dont even have putty on my PC. :rofl:

Hey Matt, so I started watching my query log, and I noticed analytics.plex.tv popped up and it was blocked. So I did me a search and found a reddit post right up your alley.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/778gom/newest_plex_update_sends_analytics_quite_often/
Interesting. I just checked and for me it only pops up once or twice an hour.

Screenshot_20181227-171315.jpeg

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Meh, its gotten more secure. Plus I can still do some personal stuff when I have time at work.

Once I get this situated and am about 90% no issues, Ill probably be setting static IPs and labeling them. I tried using pihole to just be the DHCP server as well and I still have some network jargon to learn cause I messed that up big time. LOL.

Damn. LOL.

Also, those are some rookie numbers guys. Gotta get those blocked domains up. Then again, that might be part of my problem. :rofl:

how did you get a list of more domains to block? I always wished the block list was more than just ads, like blocking any domain associated to malware etc.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
how did you get a list of more domains to block? I always wished the block list was more than just ads, like blocking any domain associated to malware etc.

I used all the lists that are in this link.

https://firebog.net/

Click that, it will show you a group of lists. Suspicious lists, advertising lists, tracking lists, malicious lists, and a few in the other section. Also gives you some things to whitelist for certain things you might need. Like if you use gmail or google maps, apple products, amazon web services, and a few others.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So after leaving it and letting traffic run though tonight, I am at 3271 blocks which is 20.4% of traffic. Killer part is that now that I have those lists up to snuff, it blocked 1,018 hits to flingo.tv. Apparently its either my Sony Smart TV, or the Roku stick in my daughter's room.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I've been working towards a full time VPN but as [MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] and I discussed full time isn't so great. I have two access points, one is full time VPN and the other isn't so I just switch APs to handle that.

Looking to add this to get rid of ads and malware/spyware during regular browsing.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Sooo I wanna do this, but I read through this thread and now I’m somewhat confused. I’d like to have both the ad blocker and VPN, is this doable with Xfinity WiFi? I use to be a little computer savvy, seems I’ve lost that! Some of it seems easy but I’m afraid I’ll buy it try it and then give up.
What will your VPN be used for? Self hosted or third party?

Both serve different purposes. My home VPN allows me to be on my local network while not at home, consider it as a secure extension of your network to outside the house allowing you to access your computers and devices at home while being away.

I use my home vpn to be able to see my home automation stuff when not at home without having to expose it to the internet. This will not work for torrents since your IP address will still be on the VPN.

A third party VPN (I use PIA) will allow you to change regions for different services, mask your original IP and wrap your data in a secure connection that should be free from prying eyes (and ISPs). I use this for torrents and to change regions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info