TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
can someone dumb this down for me?
i no understand

tenor.gif

Basically its a program that you can run on a raspberry pi, or other hardware now, that will block ads across your entire network instead of installing adblockers on every machine. Whats nice is that it will also do the same thing for wifi/mobile devices as well. I like it for the cleaner look, along with saving bandwidth due to not having to download the ads.

Pfsense or ubiquiti or mirotek router is my next project.

My buddy set up a watchguard with about $160 in equipment and keeps telling me I have to as well. :rofl: Probably eventually but right now I am in a space constraint.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Pfsense or ubiquiti or mirotek router is my next project.

Use OpenSense the creator of pfSense is a real dick and basically taking shots at the community

My buddy set up a watchguard with about $160 in equipment and keeps telling me I have to as well. :rofl: Probably eventually but right now I am in a space constraint.

I'm running pfSense on basically $600 worth of hardware as a VMware Virtual Machine. Been too lazy to put anything else on the machine :roflpicard:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So I was having a few issues with my pihole to the point where I thought about taking it offline since it was blocking some youtube vids, but not all, some of the wife's apps, and a couple other things.

Did some searching and a reddit post later, I realized that the 3 links I posted above were the cause. The first link is just a link to other lists, and not a list itself. :roflpicard: The other 2 blocked so much shit that it was causing more problems then good, so I removed those.

Ill be doing some testing in the next few days to see if my problems persist.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Here is a little tip for Pihole....

if you SSH into it and add your device IP address and a name to the Hosts file (located in /etc/)

your devices on pihole will show up with names you give them. Granted this also requires you to set static IPs on the devices or setup DHCP reservation on the router so they don't change IPs.

but you get much better stats on which unit is causing the most traffic:

4f9vNbY.png

21% of my internet traffic is junk ads....and that is blocking less then stock since I allowed some stuff i usually wouldnt for the wife

7EcWrtR.png

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
teamviewer.... :io:

Meh, its gotten more secure. Plus I can still do some personal stuff when I have time at work.

Here is a little tip for Pihole....

if you SSH into it and add your device IP address and a name to the Hosts file (located in /etc/)

your devices on pihole will show up with names you give them. Granted this also requires you to set static IPs on the devices or setup DHCP reservation on the router so they don't change IPs.

but you get much better stats on which unit is causing the most traffic:

21% of my internet traffic is junk ads....and that is blocking less then stock since I allowed some stuff i usually wouldnt for the wife

Once I get this situated and am about 90% no issues, Ill probably be setting static IPs and labeling them. I tried using pihole to just be the DHCP server as well and I still have some network jargon to learn cause I messed that up big time. LOL.

:rofl: midnight rambler over here

Damn. LOL.

Also, those are some rookie numbers guys. Gotta get those blocked domains up. Then again, that might be part of my problem. :rofl:

Attachments

• pihole stats.jpg
    pihole stats.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 34

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
no wonder why you are having so many issues :rofl:

also your graph is so smooth

Right? I still have some testing to do. If anything, Ill go back to the stock lists and maybe add a couple more and see how it goes.

Also gotta remember no one is technically home yet. This is just devices idling. Apple TVs, Echo Dot, game pc, server pc, PS3, PS4. Kinda scary that these devices are trying to get info out.

nope i have a few laying around myself :rofl:

every time I am in Microcenter I buy one of the 5$ ones even if I don't need it :rofl:

also use your pihole and install pivpn on it too. dual purpose and no more teamviewer needed!

Interesting. I wonder if I can do that from the docker or if I need to do something else.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Right? I still have some testing to do. If anything, Ill go back to the stock lists and maybe add a couple more and see how it goes.

Also gotta remember no one is technically home yet. This is just devices idling. Apple TVs, Echo Dot, game pc, server pc, PS3, PS4. Kinda scary that these devices are trying to get info out.

eh they need to check in for updates. I block stuff that doesn't need internet.

Like my wifi plugs try to call home so you can control them remotely...never setup an account so....blocked

ip cameras...blocked...no need for internet.

everything else i check up on occasionally and make sure a device isnt making crazy amounts of requests. That is when you know something funky is going on and the device may be compromised.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
eh they need to check in for updates. I block stuff that doesn't need internet.

Like my wifi plugs try to call home so you can control them remotely...never setup an account so....blocked

ip cameras...blocked...no need for internet.

everything else i check up on occasionally and make sure a device isnt making crazy amounts of requests. That is when you know something funky is going on and the device may be compromised.

Right now, as of this minute, my top blocked domains are a Microsoft domain at 84, device-metrics-us.amazon.com with 24 (waits to hear how Alexa is really a spy. :rofl: ) 6 more microsofts totaling 94, and 2 googles totaling 28.

How hard is this to setup for those not familiar with raspberry pi

Actually not too hard. Plenty of youtube videos to show you how to go from pile of parts to installed and ready to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info