Need a mattress

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I'm in search of a good mattress. My wife is suffering from back pain, so we decided to try a new mattress in the hope it will help. I read that in general, memory foam and latex mattresses are often considered the best options for back pain, as they conform to your body. But it would be great to find out other people's experiences. Saatva is a well-known brand and I heard good feedback, but are those mattresses good for people who fight back pain? Thanks in advance.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I'm in search of a good mattress. My wife is suffering from back pain, so we decided to try a new mattress in the hope it will help. I read that in general, memory foam and latex mattresses are often considered the best options for back pain, as they conform to your body. But it would be great to find out other people's experiences. Saatva is a well-known brand and I heard good feedback, but are those mattresses good for people who fight back pain? Thanks in advance.
I love my Casper memory foam mattress. I was tight for cash and really did need a mattress bad, so I took a chance on their $600 budget "essential" mattress. The only thing I had to say that's bad is that at 8" thick, its not good for sitting on as you'd bottom out on the frame. But otherwise its great, back feels so much better.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If you want something that confirms to your body well, try a Purple mattress. The down side is cost. The thicker the purple material, the more conforming it is, but the more expensive it is. Lighter people can get away with a thinner version. But go try them.

My old matress was trashed. It caused me back pain. I went to a matress store and there was no comparison for comfort for me. Being on the heavier side and a side sleeper, the purple releaved pressure on my hip and shoulder better than any other matress in the store. By far. I haven't had back or shoulder pain since. It isn't a cheap mattress. But after having it, worth every penny.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
We’ve had a nectar mattress for years. Got one for our daughter and for our spare room too. Purple is supposed to be good too but more money
I think my Purple mattress gets good air flow when my a/c kicks on. As the foot of the bed is a few feet from the vent on the floor. You have to have a bed frame with lots of open space to get that airflow too. My slots in the frame are spaced out pretty well.

I have the Hybrid Premier 4 mattress. So it has the coil spring base versus memory foam. Purple claims the coil spring is much better for airflow. So of course, you have to buy the more expensive version to get them. I think my Purple is better than my last pillow top mattress as far as feeling cooler. It seems to help and I love the mattress for other reasons. As I have no back issues and sleep better than any mattress I have had previously. It is really comfortable.

I sleep warm but don't think anything really sleeps super cool. I tried a gel "cooling" pillow that felt cool at first. But eventually, that cool feeling went away. I think they may help. But short of a fan blowing under the covers, I don't think there is a good option that really does a whole lot. I think sheets and comforters make a bigger difference than anything. In summer I use thinner sheets that are marketed as having "cooling" features as well as a lite blanket. If I use my comforter, I am too hot.

Hmmm instead of my ceiling fan, maybe I'll try putting a box fan facing upwards under the bed. See if that moves air through the mattress better. haha

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I think my Purple mattress gets good air flow when my a/c kicks on. As the foot of the bed is a few feet from the vent on the floor. You have to have a bed frame with lots of open space to get that airflow too. My slots in the frame are spaced out pretty well.

I have the Hybrid Premier 4 mattress. So it has the coil spring base versus memory foam. Purple claims the coil spring is much better for airflow. So of course, you have to buy the more expensive version to get them. I think my Purple is better than my last pillow top mattress as far as feeling cooler. It seems to help and I love the mattress for other reasons. As I have no back issues and sleep better than any mattress I have had previously. It is really comfortable.

I sleep warm but don't think anything really sleeps super cool. I tried a gel "cooling" pillow that felt cool at first. But eventually, that cool feeling went away. I think they may help. But short of a fan blowing under the covers, I don't think there is a good option that really does a whole lot. I think sheets and comforters make a bigger difference than anything. In summer I use thinner sheets that are marketed as having "cooling" features as well as a lite blanket. If I use my comforter, I am too hot.

Hmmm instead of my ceiling fan, maybe I'll try putting a box fan facing upwards under the bed. See if that moves air through the mattress better. haha
You just reminded me of those under the covers AC/Heaters

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Did you buy the warranty? Then at like year 8, just fuck it up beyond repair and get a new one, then save yourself the $4k to replace it on your own.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Did you buy the warranty? Then at like year 8, just fuck it up beyond repair and get a new one, then save yourself the $4k to replace it on your own.
Do I look like an idiot?

Let me make that clear. I did in fact buy that additional "Accidental Damage" warranty. :rofl: I'd have to check, but I want to say the sales guy gave the additional warranty and delivery at 50% off. So was a no brainer. I am still in shock I paid so much for a mattress years later now. lol But I am 100% happy with the purchase. Hopefully, at some point, that warranty will make it an even better deal. lol

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The 10 year warranty is like $90 I can't imagine someone wouldn't
They have a 10-year limited warranty that only covers materials and workmanship. So the $90 Accident Protection is a good deal.

I want to say I bought a mattress protector as well. As online I read where some claims weren't covered because they didn't have the protective covers for them. I believe most were kids' mattresses with pee stains. The sales guy said as long as you can show proof or purchase of a cover, they are good with that. So not like you have to buy the Purple one. But the purple one is super flexible and helps mold to the mattress when you are on it much better. I tried my old mattress protector first. It wasn't nearly as nice as the one Purple sells.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Do I look like an idiot?

Let me make that clear. I did in fact buy that additional "Accidental Damage" warranty. :rofl: I'd have to check, but I want to say the sales guy gave the additional warranty and delivery at 50% off. So was a no brainer. I am still in shock I paid so much for a mattress years later now. lol But I am 100% happy with the purchase. Hopefully, at some point, that warranty will make it an even better deal. lol
Did you do the adjustable bed frame too?

I'm just having a hard time justifying spending $5k for a mattress and adjustable bed frame, or $7K if you get the split king.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info