My new car. Let me show you it.

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
what the hell is going on here? Is this for real? Im getting ready to take a picture of my next shit, post it up and rave about it. Come on an '84 tempo? I don't even think Ford was proud of this car

People who have a strong distaste for the Tempo generally know nothing about the car or its background. No offense or anything, just saying. They base their hatred entirely on the Tempo as an object (a not-so-powerful/fast object), or on one or two poor experiences with the said car. Almost all of which can be blamed on the owner/user or poor maintenance.

Need I explain the Tempo's significance?

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
People who have a strong distaste for the Tempo generally know nothing about the car or its background. No offense or anything, just saying. They base their hatred entirely on the Tempo as an object (a not-so-powerful/fast object), or on one or two poor experiences with the said car. Almost all of which can be blamed on the owner/user or poor maintenance.

Need I explain the Tempo's significance?

its an economical gas sipper that is uglier than sin, i dont think it really has any other significance, as long as u get $500 worth of use out of it then i see nothing wrong with the purchase

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
its an economical gas sipper that is uglier than sin, i dont think it really has any other significance, as long as u get $500 worth of use out of it then i see nothing wrong with the purchase

An economic gas sipper that is uglier then sin, that sold in ridiculous numbers despite being a niche semi-luxury compact that would go on to change the entire design direction of not only a company but an entire nation.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
An economic gas sipper that is uglier then sin, that sold in ridiculous numbers despite being a niche semi-luxury compact that would go on to change the entire design direction of not only a company but an entire nation.

I'm sorry, i respect the whole "to each his own" thing... but do you honestly believe that? Everyone is fond of their first car but that claim is extremely far fetched. My good friend had a 94 Tempo ATX FLC with the power lap belts and unusually fast power windows... And it simply moved us to where we needed to go and didn't kill us in the middle of winter when he drove with no brake fluid in the master cylinder. That's all.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i dont get this guy. shitty cars can be cool cause you dont care. my favorite winter cars have been total shit but were a blast. to actually be into something like this baffles me.

this is harder to believe then the fact that there are people out there that dont actually care about what they drive....that hurts my head to think about.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
who cares? you dont HAVE to bleed the system but if you want your shit to work 100% then you should...fuck i drove around with a master cylinder that internally leaked; you could slow down just fine by pushing the pedal even though it went to the floor. if you wanted to stop well you had to pump it twice real fast and stand on it. :dunno: sometimes you need a thrill :s00ls:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
@BruGTP, you friggin' mood killer. Ford was quite proud of their three speed automatic transaxle with fluid link converter. So proud in fact, every time they mention Tempo's automatic in media and literature of the time (brochures, dealer training videos, television advertisements) they don't merely say "ATX" they say "ATX with FLC". Why? Because Ford marketing businessmen at the time in their infinite wisdom recognized shallow American citizens were fond of acronyms. They saw the big wave of acronyms before it even hit! So yeah, FLC is really just a torque converter.

In regards to antiques, most definitions I know of say 25 or older. Which this 1984 is. Excerpt from Wikipedia; "An item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature. Motor vehicles, power tools and other items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered antiques in the U.S. if older than 25 years, and some electronic gadgets of more recent vintage may be considered antiques." Now a classic car is another thing. A classic car would fall more in line with cars representing a specific design standard of the time. Like a 1958 Plymouth would be a good representative of the popular aesthetic designs of the 1950s, and the 1986 Taurus would represent the pinnacle of 1980s car design.

I'm a journalist, it's my job to cut through the marketing bullshit like this. There's no benefit to the consumer for calling it a FLC when every other traditional automatic does it the same way.

And Alaska officially considers an antique 30 years or older for registration purposes.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
My first car would run circles around that tempo..:ugh:

images.jpg

Oldsmobile Firenza Hatchback

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
I'm sorry, i respect the whole "to each his own" thing... but do you honestly believe that? Everyone is fond of their first car but that claim is extremely far fetched. My good friend had a 94 Tempo ATX FLC with the power lap belts and unusually fast power windows... And it simply moved us to where we needed to go and didn't kill us in the middle of winter when he drove with no brake fluid in the master cylinder. That's all.
Okay, okay.. I was purposefully exaggerating the subject in hopes of grabbing attention. Now, 1994 was hardly the pinnacle for the Tempo's production run. As far as I'm concerned, I wholeheartedly believe that the 1992 face-lift simply stripped Tempo of all its worthwhile characteristics (those primarily being; all wheel drive and chrome) and left it a simple economy car destined to fill the Hertz rental lots. I refuse to own a third generation (1992-1994) Tempo for that reason.

who cares? you dont HAVE to bleed the system but if you want your shit to work 100% then you should...fuck i drove around with a master cylinder that internally leaked; you could slow down just fine by pushing the pedal even though it went to the floor. if you wanted to stop well you had to pump it twice real fast and stand on it. :dunno: sometimes you need a thrill :s00ls:
QFT. Not to mention, my truck is rockin' a manual. I've gotten pretty good at getting that 4,400lb. beast to slow down with minimal brake use (and without burning up the clutch!). Something my Impala-drivin' buddy Eric don't know too much about.

I'm a journalist, it's my job to cut through the marketing bullshit like this. There's no benefit to the consumer for calling it a FLC when every other traditional automatic does it the same way.

And Alaska officially considers an antique 30 years or older for registration purposes.
Interesting.. I've gotta say I disagree on the topic of acronyms. Especially when we're talking about the 80s here, when most cars came with big badges slapped on their decklids that read "MPeFI" and "ABS". Even when most cars at the time had MPFI, and hell, sequential EFI. Even today you've got all these companies bragging about fairly ordinary things like RSC or VVTI.

Point is, I personally think acronyms for otherwise insignificant mechanical or technological attributes are pointless. But I also think the average John and Jane America probably think "ATX with FLC" sounds more cool then "automatic."

BTW: I love a good (but civil!) discussion, so don't disappoint! Or I'll hafta' put a cap in yo' ass.

----------------
Now playing: Rush - Tom Sawyer
via FoxyTunes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info