My new car. Let me show you it.

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
Oxford White 1984 Ford Tempo GL Coupe for $500? Oh yes. Going to put $100 down this week when I go for a test drive, then pay off the rest when I get my check from commercial fishing.

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna3.jpg

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna7.jpg

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna4.jpg

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna.jpg

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna5.jpg

1984TempoGLCoupeSoldotna8-1.jpg

This battle scarred Alaskan brute of a two door has been ruling the Last Frontier in its white stripe tires for 25 years over the course of 163,000 miles on all original parts. Its part of the "FUCK OBAMA" club being a 1984 (illegible for the CARS act), and the owner is claiming drip dry reliability. Here are the figures:

-2.3L High Swirl Combustion I4 (stock)
-90HP
-123lb-ft of torque
-3-speed ATX with FLC (fluid link converter)

Sure its rough around the edges, but its an antique car for $500!

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
@BruGTP, you friggin' mood killer. Ford was quite proud of their three speed automatic transaxle with fluid link converter. So proud in fact, every time they mention Tempo's automatic in media and literature of the time (brochures, dealer training videos, television advertisements) they don't merely say "ATX" they say "ATX with FLC". Why? Because Ford marketing businessmen at the time in their infinite wisdom recognized shallow American citizens were fond of acronyms. They saw the big wave of acronyms before it even hit! So yeah, FLC is really just a torque converter.

In regards to antiques, most definitions I know of say 25 or older. Which this 1984 is. Excerpt from Wikipedia; "An item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature. Motor vehicles, power tools and other items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered antiques in the U.S. if older than 25 years, and some electronic gadgets of more recent vintage may be considered antiques." Now a classic car is another thing. A classic car would fall more in line with cars representing a specific design standard of the time. Like a 1958 Plymouth would be a good representative of the popular aesthetic designs of the 1950s, and the 1986 Taurus would represent the pinnacle of 1980s car design.

@PANDA, they use just plain old dirt to cover the roads in the winter. They aren't very frugal with it either. Still, that hasn't stopped the bed, rocker panels, and floor pans from rusting out on my '93 Blazer and '94 K2500. Must be because I live less then a mile from the sea. If anything though, one of Tempo's good points is they aren't as rust prone as most of their peers of their era. For all its worth, my '89 is basically rust free save for a small bit of surface rust near the fender (less then an inch in diameter).

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
Late for work or not, there is NO EXCUSE to half-assedly do things , much less whenwhat you're doing is related to your LIFE.

Okay mommy, please don't spank me.

In all seriousness though, compromises had to be made. I weighed in the factors, and came to the rightful and justified conclusion that I value my job more then my beater work truck.

Not that it matters much, but guess what? The cylinder was fucking fine. Now if I recollect right, it was you and that other Jeep-driving dude who said it was probably the cylinder. Which, I reiterate, it was not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info