Sports MTB Madness!

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The Hayes were decently stiff. Hydraulics just never feel like cable brakes to me though. My favorite are still a good set of 990's that are just solid.

I'll give bleeding a shot. Were you able to re use the fitting at the lever? Looks like you can but I wasn't sure

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I didn't bother. The brakes came with replacements as did the bleed kit. I had never bled hydraulic brakes before so i just followed the instructions to a T. I too miss the 990 feel but i think i prefer the smoothness of the Elixir's over the "cable" feel of the BB5's.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I cut the rear hose like 8" shorter then bled both front and rear. Wasn't too bad but for sure different then other brands. My Hayes you bleed just like a car.

They seem a lot more solid and the rear lever doesn't click weird anymore. I noticed the clamps themselves allow the lever to flex so I think that's where I'm feeling some of the mushiness; in reality I'll never be pulling that hard on the levers.

Only thing is I wish the engagement was farther out. The lever is too close when it's fully pulled. I didnt have a small Allen to adjust the levers out at all. That might help

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
DSC01409.jpg

These things are too crazy. I could never ride one of those with any confidence.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yea I have mine all the way in :rofl:

I'm just gonna ride them as is and see what needs changing. You have a 2 bolt clamp right? This single bolt crap is lame.

You don't like the lefty? The stanchion is a hexagon so it can't rotate. It's still a weird sight though.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I just got back a bit ago. I'd say it was a fail :rofl: I'm missing a spacer for my bottom bracket so my cranks were all loose on the drive side. I ended up riding home in my granny gears to not put to much strain on it. I gotta find the spacer and pop that in.

My brakes feel pretty sweet now that I spaced the levers out

Thread Info