Sports MTB Madness!

[MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION]

I can get a decent discount on Diamondbacks through work, and I am thinking about picking up a 17 Release 3. I am just not sure what sized to get.... I am 6' 2-3" with a 34" ish inseam. The clear choice based on their sizing guidelines would be an XL (21") but I am afraid it will be big and not very playful. I currently ride an 09 Five-O Deluxe in an 18" frame size. I admit that it is a little cramped and not great for long rides/the seat tube has to be really high for proper leg extension, but the bike feels very maneuverable. I have tried out a friends 20" Kona shred and 21" hardrock and I did not feel in control, maybe the longer stems played a role in that. The main places I ride are Saw Wee Kee, Palos, & John Muir. My preferred type of riding is all mountian/freeride-ish. I have also tried comparing reach and top tub lengths as best I can, but am still not sure if I go L or XL. Maybe growing up riding BMX has something to do with it...Thoughts?

KONA 2009 - Five-O Deluxe
KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 26" HT | SHRED

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3

I think reach is a more important number than seat tube length. The large diamond back has a pretty decent reach. Do you have long arms? You're a touch taller than me and I'd get the large for myself with a 50mm stem.

How tall are you? I wear a 36-37 sleeve length for dress shirts. Would getting a XL and putting a 5 mm shorter stem on it help (35mm) or not even be noticeable. Also would it hurt climbs since the head tube angle is already pretty slack at 66*? I might try and measure the reach on my kona. What size would you recommend I get knowing I like to huck the bike around?

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:kanye:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-nomad-4--first-ride.html

a2c734896c14327b456c00502bbeb3b5.jpg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Took the ramper out to Big Marsh in Chicago yesterday evening. It was my first time out there. The place is only in Stage 1 of 3 build wise but was way cool. We had 30+mph head winds down the jump line so the big sets were out of the question. The small and medium lines were a lot of fun though. Towards the end of the night the winds changed and we could ride the bottom part of the big jump lines so we did that. I can't wait to go back.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Took the ramper out to Big Marsh in Chicago yesterday evening. It was my first time out there. The place is only in Stage 1 of 3 build wise but was way cool. We had 30+mph head winds down the jump line so the big sets were out of the question. The small and medium lines were a lot of fun though. Towards the end of the night the winds changed and we could ride the bottom part of the big jump lines so we did that. I can't wait to go back.

I was just coming in here to ask how that place was. I watched a video on Instagram of some 12 year olds dead sailoring the entire medium section so I think I could probably handle that on the 20".

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I was just coming in here to ask how that place was. I watched a video on Instagram of some 12 year olds dead sailoring the entire medium section so I think I could probably handle that on the 20".

Oh yeah you'd be fine. A bunch of my friends ride their 20" rampers there.
Nothing there is real big. The medium line is super easy.
You need to watch the weather before going. If they have beach hazard warnings up for down that way, it may not be worth the drive. It get so dam windy being so close to the lake.
We are planning a ride the weekend after the 4th of July, that Saturday. I'll keep you posted on it.
We are friends on FB, look at the photos from the last time I was out there.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Looking for buying advice -

Background:
I'm returning to more active riding after being far too sedentary over the last ten years. I used to ride regularly, and am comfortable with virtually all terrain around this area. For reference I used to ride in Raceway Woods well before it was better laid out.

My current main bike is ancient by modern standards, but was IMHO a decent ride in its day- Klein Attitude (hardtail) outfitted with XTR/XT build, carbon post & bars, orig Rock Shox now RST fork. Biggest plus is very light (~22lbs), but otherwise outdated. I have no intention of upgrading it, hell I don't think 27.5's would even fit, and no option for disc brakes. I have taken care of it and it still is quite an enjoyable ride.

Want/ Need:
Full Suspension
Standard "Trail" or "XC" type - no pure downhill bomber or FAT bike please.
Light as reasonable (based likely on budget)
Component quality >= Frame quality (i.e. Unobtanium super frame, Huffy brakes)
Dropper Post (either part of spec out, or recommend an aftermarket. Rode a demo with one and can't live without lol)
27.5" Preferred, not required (5'6", 30" inseam, so concerned a 29" is just too much wheel vs frame. Thoughts?)

Budget:

Less than $5,000? ( preferred ~ $3,800, but if a $4,800+ bike is 2x better than a $3,800 bike that is exactly the advice I'm looking for here.) Not sure my riding schedule and needs would dictate a 6k+ bike.

Me:
I plan to ride terrain here in midwest - so Kettle Moraine, Raceway, etc. But want it good enough to take further west or south just in case.

I'm 5'6", 185 lbs, 30" inseam. JUst FYI if you're recommending frames by strength, or any used bikes that may work, as a small/ medium is ideal.

So what should I be lloking for - brands, models, etc.?

Thread Info