• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LSx guys, let me pick your brains a moment.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Long story short, I've been desk-chair planning out and budgeting my next long-term project for quite some time. I've gotten as far as possible without currently having a chassis to toy with, as far as that side of things is concerned. I'm now moving on to the meat and potato's of things- The Drive train and power plant. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Mid-budget, mid-power Turbo LQ4. What are the keys for a reliable 600RWHP through a Tremec?

Original truck intake is out of the question for clearance reasons. What is the best bang for buck OE solution? LS1/LS6?

We've all heard and seen the abuses the stock bottom ends can take, but what is the preferred paths to ensure the longevity of a good few seasons? Hardware, Rods and Slugs?

What is the preferred Heads/Cam combo? Keep and work over the Stock 317's? Any additional points of concern here? I assume springs, rods, HG's and swapping TTY for Studs?

Is the MP 76mm still the go-to budget choice for 6-700 crank? Mind you, I'll undoubtedly be going with Ethanol.

I'm a fan of fuel system overkill; I've been bit in the ass enough times to have learned my lessons here. What are you gentlemen running?

Tuning solutions; What would be the preferred electronics to look for? F-body Harness and PCM, HPTuners? I have no idea on the limits of HPT in an application like this, any potential hiccups here?

Is there a preferred, lower-profile manifold set for a front-mounted turbo? Keeping in mind that clearances are an issue. Any good OE block-hugging options to potentially be flipped and re-flanged? CTSV? (The chassis I'm looking at has a strut-tower to strut-tower measurement of roughly 33"W.)

Sorry, last time I built a bow-tie it was a gen 1 383 and I was a highschooler... Times have a-changed.

Thanks guys.

Most any intake you get should get you where you want to go. As said before though LS2/LS6 are preferred.

Is it a gen 3 or gen 4 motor? Although you can probably do what you want to on a gen 3 bottom end, gen 4s are stronger rods. If I was going to do it and be paranoid I'd get LSA rods as well as some forged pistons. With a stock crank that's enough to carry you to 4 digits probably.

317s are good heads, you may look into something using rectangular ports instead of cathedrals. LS6 intakes were getting pricey and it may be cheaper or similar price overall to get a different set of L92 heads if you can use an LS2 intake. Some PAC1218s seem to work well with these heads and boost.

The Isky Triple 12 has been in some nasty cars over the years. No it's not a huge cam but it seems to work very well with boost.

For the price I'd be doing a "box" S400 75mm if you can fit it The map goes up to 100lb/min (~1000hp) and there's a great upgrade path through covers and compressor wheels. What's great is there's lots of upgrade paths. Not sure how the Supra comes into play with that especially if you run a full down pipe. 5" ain't an easy fit on a lot of cars. If you do go with a T4 turbo try to clearance it for a PT88 because that's the biggest turbo you'll be able to cram in if you move up.

Not too hot on tuning one of these beasts, I'm on the Gen1/Megasquirt plan myself. I will say your best bet is probably going to be a 0411 box. If you grab a 6.0 from the yard, take the time and try to pull the harness in one piece. It's a great value if you have the time/patience to strip it yourself.

Have you googled yet? Chances are there's a few guides to the manifolds. Not going to say that for certain but there are a few on LS1tech for the oil pans. (Also something else you may want to look at.)

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Sorry [MENTION=4687]Donnie[/MENTION] it's been a bit since I seen it last, but I do have a pan and valve covers if need.

eba2a7ev.jpg

u3a5e2ym.jpg

e9yqy6a6.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info