Local shop terrorizing neighborhood with race cars - Security Cam help

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Junk IMO

Analog cameras, NOT HD thats just tricky advertising, WIRED so you will have to run the wire from the DVR to each camera. Proprietary so you MUST use their software and their cameras and their app and for remote viewing the video most likely goes through their servers and then to you so who knows who may be looking at it.

and quality is very low here is a 700TVL vs 1080p...in GOOD light. In darkness you wont see shit other then a car driving by...MAYBE see what type it is and the color. Mounted on the house looking at the street, it will most likely be shitty FYI

maxresdefault.jpg

9UYy6tp.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

How about the Amcrest DVR, two Hikvision cameras and the cat cable?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I think your best bet was already said, I'd do multiple smaller GoPro or trail cameras on light poles, with a chain or cable around them so they're not stolen...

Much closer to the action, under better lighting, etc.

I like that idea, but, I want to keep the cameras on my property. Since it is an association, they will most likely see the cameras since they have guys that regularly come around each unit. Plus, we are not home as often as I'd like to be during the day and I'd hate to have to keep climbing poles to remove the SD cards.

Good idea, but, not exactly practical.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
How about the Amcrest DVR, two Hikvision cameras and the cat cable?

for how much? Hikvision cameras are ok but Amcrest DVR is garbage. Their software is crap and if its a DVR then there isnt a cat6 cable and an Analog/power cable.

If you HAVE to run cables, go the custom route and ill build it out for you. If your price range is only 2-300$ then the likely hood that you can buy something that will be able to identify the cars clearly in a box set is very low.

When it comes to cameras....you get what you pay for. The DVR/NVR is the cheap part but companies will over charge you to make up for the lose on the cameras and throw in 4 of them to make it look like a deal.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I like that idea, but, I want to keep the cameras on my property. Since it is an association, they will most likely see the cameras since they have guys that regularly come around each unit. Plus, we are not home as often as I'd like to be during the day and I'd hate to have to keep climbing poles to remove the SD cards.

Well then maybe its the associations job to get these people to stop drifting their cars through your court? Just saying.....

I'd do trail cams at car height with cables around them so they cannot be taken or stolen. Try to get a clean shot of the car with plates and everything.

Realistically did the officer say if you catch them on video they would press charges? Is this even going to be worth your time?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Wait until you see them cruising around one night and go for a "walk" while recording everything they are doing.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Personally, my outdoor nighttime camera goes for $800+ but I got it on ebay for 250$. The cheaper camera that is watching the front door needs the light on to be useful. The 800$ can be pitch black with zero light and I can modify the settings to see perfectly at night without IR lights because it allows me to control exposure and iris settings. Cheaper cameras cannot do this because the software isnt advanced enough to do it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If you really just want them on your house though because of suspicious people around, then by all means have tinfoilhat help you out with some good cameras. If you're thinking those will also be good enough to get full detail out in the street for that price range though I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed.....

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Well then maybe its the associations job to get these people to stop drifting their cars through your court? Just saying.....

I'd do trail cams at car height with cables around them so they cannot be taken or stolen. Try to get a clean shot of the car with plates and everything.

Realistically did the officer say if you catch them on video they would press charges? Is this even going to be worth your time?

The association doesn't like to get too involved with these affairs. There have been other issues of tenants parking on sides of the street where no parking is allowed for days, or, random visitors parking in people's driveways from time to time. Nothing ever changed until people moved and those people went with them.

The Sgt. did not mention charges or legal terms yet. He just said he would give this to all of the traffic units that cover our area and post guys around the shop and corresponding streets and it would be handled. If it persists, call him and he will take further action, which could mean video surveillance, contacting the shop or finding out who owns their building and complaining to the owners.

Wait until you see them cruising around one night and go for a "walk" while recording everything they are doing.

True that. I had my iPhone (LOL) ready to record last night, but, nada. I do have a GoPro Hero 4 Black I could hook up, but, I'd be really pissed if someone did see it while I was at work and somehow took it despite jimmy rigging it to not be stolen.

It honestly sounds like you could talk to your neighbors or put out flyers with an email address in their mailboxes regarding the situation and IMO the association should handle it based on complaints from their homeowners

One neighbor for sure wants to take action. She is an older lady that is cool. The other guy just tans all year round in his driveway, even in the winter and doesn't give a crap from what I can tell.

My next step is to see what the association could and would be willing to do about the situation if it persists.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Personally, my outdoor nighttime camera goes for $800+ but I got it on ebay for 250$. The cheaper camera that is watching the front door needs the light on to be useful. The 800$ can be pitch black with zero light and I can modify the settings to see perfectly at night without IR lights because it allows me to control exposure and iris settings. Cheaper cameras cannot do this because the software isnt advanced enough to do it.

Wife would divorce me, take my cars, cat and never talk to me if I tried to spend $800 on a camera.

Realistically, I can swing $500 on a setup, max.

I'll think on all of this.

most likely, custom route is the way to go.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
That is a decent Hikivision and would be much much better then the box set he posted.

For what I need they work great. Mostly concerned about kids messing with my cars in the driveway and stuff left on my front porch. I use Zoneminder as I have a linux server that is always up for other things. It just needs an upgrade to add another camera as I only have 2 setup right now.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I setup the Hikvision and DLink cameras with my Xprotect software awhile back and its been working great ever since. The hikvision cams are great. Even the night vision is very good.

I used a bit higher end POE switch than needed, but do make sure that whatever switch you buy will support 48v output to each port for the Hikvision cameras.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
What POE switch do you recommend?

Found this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GAATOG/?tag=tcg21-20

I have this one. Only will power 4 cameras but works great. 15w for each port is plenty unless you are using PTZ cameras, those require more power

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2/?tag=tcg21-20

I setup the Hikvision and DLink cameras with my Xprotect software awhile back and its been working great ever since. The hikvision cams are great. Even the night vision is very good.

I used a bit higher end POE switch than needed, but do make sure that whatever switch you buy will support 48v output to each port for the Hikvision cameras.

what model Hikivision? They shouldn't need 48v at each port unless its a PTZ.

The Hikivison that Intel posted has this for the spec required for power :

Power Supply: | 12 VDC ± 10%, PoE (802.3af)
Power Consumption: | Max. 5 W (Max. 7 W with IR cut filter on)

PoE 802.3af = 15.4w

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
They aren't PTZ, but they did require 48v to come online.

DS-2CD2032F-I

what switch do you have?

It doesn't even mention 48v in the datasheet and I didn't know they made switches that output 48v.

weird that it didnt work over POE. Camera specs are :

Power Supply: | 12 VDC ± 10%, PoE (802.3af)
Power Consumption: | Max. 5 W (Max. 7 W with IR cut filter on)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info