Lets talk security cameras

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My situation is that I want to have a couple cameras at the other house. That house has no internet connection and I don't want to as no one is there to use it.

I do have an old PC there. Is there some setup that can wirelessly stream to that PC from the cameras mounted whereever I want.

There have been a rash of thefts and the neighborhood recently and last week, the sensitivity on one of my motion lights was turned down to minimum.

Since this thread came up, I am quoting myself because I was at BB last night looking at their systems.

Again, I don't have intertubez at that house and I don't want to and all they had were systems that require some form of access to work. Is there something I could run that is simple, preferably wireless (other than power to the cameras), doesn't need to be uber high quality resolution, that is simple.

I just want 3 cameras. One I can mount on the garage, one inside facing the back door, one inside facing the front door.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Since this thread came up, I am quoting myself because I was at BB last night looking at their systems.

Again, I don't have intertubez at that house and I don't want to and all they had were systems that require some form of access to work. Is there something I could run that is simple, preferably wireless (other than power to the cameras), doesn't need to be uber high quality resolution, that is simple.

I just want 3 cameras. One I can mount on the garage, one inside facing the back door, one inside facing the front door.

Honestly I dont know if I would trust wireless cameras. As stated in this thread, Id get POE cameras and do it that way.

POE is power over ethernet. Basically it is your network/PC connection and power source. So its only one wire.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So it sounds like I would need two systems then. The house and garage are separate. So if I wanted one on the garage, that would be one system. Then the other in the house.

This is why I was interested in wireless. For the camera on the garage to feed back to the base in the house along with the other two cameras.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Are you meaning the router that is part of the camera system? Or a Wi-Fi router that I would have there, which I don't, as there is no intertubez access at that house since no one is there?
You need a wifi router to connect a wifi camera....

You don't need internet to have wifi or a network.

What are you trying to accomplish? If there is no internet, do you not plan on viewing the cameras remotely?

You can setup a LAN at the house and have the cameras either record to a NVR or some cameras have SD card slots... Put in a SD card and it will record to the card.

The issue with that is you either need to go to the camera and take out the SD card to view video, or have some sort of network (wired or wireless) to access the camera that would be connected to it.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Which is what I am trying to determine from this conversation.

I haven't had intertubez at this house for some three plus years. So all internet equipment was returned to Commiecast a long time ago. So their is no modem, no router, etc...

Does this camera system come with one (or a device similar)?

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Tree'd sorta

You need a wifi router to connect a wifi camera....

You don't need internet to have wifi or a network.

What are you trying to accomplish? If there is no internet, do you not plan on viewing the cameras remotely?

You can setup a LAN at the house and have the cameras either record to a NVR or some cameras have SD card slots... Put in a SD card and it will record to the card.

The issue with that is you either need to go to the camera and take out the SD card to view video, or have some sort of network (wired or wireless) to access the camera that would be connected to it.

I would be fine just reviewing an SD card.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Which is what I am trying to determine from this conversation.

I haven't had intertubez at this house for some three plus years. So all internet equipment was returned to Commiecast a long time ago. So their is no modem, no router, etc...

Does this camera system come with one (or a device similar)?
WYZE cam is the cheapest option.

$20/camera + microsd card size.

I'd go 64GB+ minimum. Probably get 4 days on 64GB. First in last out is how it will work for recordings.

Might need to do some presetup on them where there is internet, but they should run stand alone as well by just plugging it in and slapping in an SD card..might need to use an app to setup

I've never bought one of the WYZE because I have much better cameras and think wifi is junk lol

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Got it, thanks. Again, I just want something simple.

Are those cameras recording 24/7? Or is their a motion detector thing that will start once it senses something?

The Guy at BB was saying Lorex, Swann, or Night owl I think, but everything he had was an internet based setup.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Got it, thanks. Again, I just want something simple.

Are those cameras recording 24/7? Or is their a motion detector thing that will start once it senses something?

The Guy at BB was saying Lorex, Swann, or Night owl I think, but everything he had was an internet based setup.
Gross to all those brands and internet is not needed. They are just box sets. BB only sells that shit.

Yes you should be able to continuous record with an SD card in them. At least according to their website

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I have a Cheapo Yi camera in my garage and the signal is fair. It works but it isn't speedy to load all the time. My issue is my fridge is located between the camera and the router.
Nah the issue is it's a wifi camera. They all do that unless they are hardwired in.

I have one wifi camera....and it is wired :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info