Lets talk security cameras

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Worked really well in that infamous garage picture you post! ;)
I think it was daytime :rofl:

the light only works at night

nolight.JPG

vs

light.JPG

• Angry
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Any recommendations on a quality but inexpensive tool to strip and crimp the connector on the cables and he same for bulk cable?
quality and inexpensive dont go well :rofl:

this would be the tool I'd get plus cat6 pass-through rj45 ends

but that is not cheap. for cheap, try for a knock off of the EZ-Crimp type. It will crimp and cut at the same time.

Or you can do it the way I do since I am too cheap to buy that tool yet :rofl:, cat6 rj45 pass through ends, basic rj45 crimper, and use wire cutters to take off the excess cable off the ends so its flush.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
although this one looks interesting, good reviews too. and for $30 from a known brand... not bad

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I just open port 8081 & 8082 and then use DDNS. works perfectly.

But I also turn off the web access interface since we only use mobile or the desktop application. The desktop application is way better then the browser

I disabled the web client under Mobile Servers > General > and unchecking "Enable XProtect Web Client". I get service unavailable if I try to access it, so I assume is disabled. Added my SSL cert into IIS and binded it to port 8082. Only needed 8082 open to the internet to connect over https.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I disabled the web client under Mobile Servers > General > and unchecking "Enable XProtect Web Client". I get service unavailable if I try to access it, so I assume is disabled. Added my SSL cert into IIS and binded it to port 8082. Only needed 8082 open to the internet to connect over https.
Yep that's it. I just don't use SSL lol

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Are you familiar with either of these brands? A quick Google search didn't come up with a whole lot. View attachment 57295

He estimates 1600 feet of it for 60 and he's local
No, but find out what kind of type of core. Copper or cca. Copper is better imo and is what I only try to use.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Its badass software, I need to dial it back recording to 10fps though. Filled up 4TB on my NAS in about 1 week lol. Just basic trial and error I figured it out pretty quickly. I see the mobile app has like 2-3 star review, but I assume its noobs that dont know what they are doing. It works great, although I dont have a playback option on the app?

edit: nevermind it looks like a setting on the management server.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Its badass software, I need to dial it back recording to 10fps though. Filled up 4TB on my NAS in about 1 week lol. Just basic trial and error I figured it out pretty quickly. I see the mobile app has like 2-3 star review, but I assume its noobs that dont know what they are doing. It works great, although I dont have a playback option on the app?

How many cameras? I'm using a junk 1tb drive I had laying around. I have my 8mp Amcrest @30fps and 2 wyze cams @ 10-15fps recording 24/7 in blue Iris
And I have like 2 weeks of footage

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

The app leaves some to be desired but it works and I havent had many issues with it.

It can also do video push and basically stream video from your phone camera to your security system to record. Pain in the ass the way you need to configure it, but once its on, it works as advertised.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
So I'm starting to piece something together. There's 1000' of solid coper cat5e cable near me for $40. Any reason I should spend more for cat6 for this project? I usually understand things well but am I going to see any speed difference on consumer products running cat5e for other things at home vs 6? I read cat6 is like a 4 lane highway vs 2 lanes on cat5e. I'm just struggling to understand how that might affect speeds to and from my server on gig ports.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info