Lets talk security cameras

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Ugh, I was waiting for the AMD stuff to come up. I am not a fan of AMD, but I do realize it is probably a better option for this build. We will see, it would make a buddy of mine happy to see me finally build something AMD.

Sean

AMD has had ups and downs, but the recent Ryzen Zen architecture is a hallmark back to the first Athlon vs P3 days. It's a top notch cpu. The AMD Zen2 Ryzen 3000 series looks like it will kick ass when it gets released this July. But as always, waiting on benchmarks.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I have 7 cameras currently.

5 days of 24/7 recording. All cameras 1080p+ resolutions.

Current server:

AMD FX-8320E
16 GB RAM (7GB being used)
CPU stays around 10-20%

1TB of storage is used for 5 days of recordings (I have a 2TB drive)

This server also handles PLEX too, so that adds to the RAM/CPU usage compared to a dedicated NVR.

For you I would probably go with an i5 if you want to save money. Or AMD ryzen5. Probably overkill still and could probably handle 10-20 cameras.

8 TB is probably overkill unless you want 30+ days of continuous recordings so you could probably get away with 2-4TB for 7-14 days of continuous recordings.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Also do you plan on live viewing the cameras constantly (dedicated viewing monitor or station streaming cameras 24/7)? Or only when needed (pull up on phone or PC to look at recordings/live temporarily)?

This will change things drastically. Clients streaming 24/7 will take up NVR CPU usage and may require more powerful CPU.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Also do you plan on live viewing the cameras constantly (dedicated viewing monitor or station streaming cameras 24/7)? Or only when needed (pull up on phone or PC to look at recordings/live temporarily)?

This will change things drastically. Clients streaming 24/7 will take up NVR CPU usage and may require more powerful CPU.

OK AMD does seem to be quite a bit cheaper! So something like a 2600 should do the job I assume? HDD If I can go to a 6TB or 4TB that will save good money as well. What should I be looking for on a MB? Anything in particular I need, or would want? Faster networking for example?

I plan to only pull it up when I need to, no command center running 24/7 :D

Thanks!
Sean

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
OK AMD does seem to be quite a bit cheaper! So something like a 2600 should do the job I assume? HDD If I can go to a 6TB or 4TB that will save good money as well. What should I be looking for on a MB? Anything in particular I need, or would want? Faster networking for example?

I plan to only pull it up when I need to, no command center running 24/7 :D

Thanks!
Sean
I'd just go with a decent motherboard, not the cheapest or most expensive. Probably around $100 retail (can get $100 boards on sale usually for $70). Just make sure it has an onboard GB NIC (most should) . I like ASUS and Gigabyte brands.

I am at around 13% network usage on a GB connection with 7 cameras. When viewing all cameras live, it roughly doubles.

I am actually running 2 - 1 GB NICs on mine but that is only because I have a home network and dedicated camera network at home.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
When I get home I will lay out everything I have picked out right now and we can tweak it from there. I am at around $1,000 without shopping any of the prices around. Also I am sure I am over doing some components and could save a bit in a few places.

I will also have a separate camera network and home network. I am not sure I need a second card on the NVR though, but I am not a networking person beyond the basics. Can you direct internet traffic to one, and LAN traffic to the other?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
When I get home I will lay out everything I have picked out right now and we can tweak it from there. I am at around $1,000 without shopping any of the prices around. Also I am sure I am over doing some components and could save a bit in a few places.

I will also have a separate camera network and home network. I am not sure I need a second card on the NVR though, but I am not a networking person beyond the basics. Can you direct internet traffic to one, and LAN traffic to the other?

You can route it using VLANs, firewalls and managed switches while still utilizing 1 NIC.

You'll need 2 if you have 2 separate networks and want to keep cameras completely offline/separate from other LAN devices

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Go with 16GB ddr4-3200 or 3000. 32gb is overkill and you can go faster then 2666 with that board easily.

Also is there a reason you are going with such a big case? That thing will be massive and have tons of empty space lol

I will look at memory in a minute. I do realize that case is massive for what this is. It is pretty cheap though, and will have good air flow and plenty of space for whatever. Also I have two 42U racks, so I am not worried about space :D I will probably get the one with 15 HD locations for my Plex Server as well.

Sean

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Alright, here is what I currently have selected.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master
Memory: G.SKILL Aegis 32GB DDR4 2666 (2 x 16GB)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB M.2 2280
HDD: WD 4TB Purple 64MB Cache
Case: Rosewill RSV-R4000 4U Server Chassis
Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550PX 80+ Platinum

I think that is everything besides Windows? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Sean

If you are going rack mount, get hot swappable.

I have a Norco 4224 case which has 24 3.5" hot swappable bays. But there are cheaper options.

Trust me, when a drive fails, and it will, there is nothing better than just yanking the drive, swapping it, and slotting it back in without ever shutting the server down.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you are going rack mount, get hot swappable.

I have a Norco 4224 case which has 24 3.5" hot swappable bays. But there are cheaper options.

Trust me, when a drive fails, and it will, there is nothing better than just yanking the drive, swapping it, and slotting it back in without ever shutting the server down.
He is only using one drive though, so doesn't really matter

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I will look at memory in a minute. I do realize that case is massive for what this is. It is pretty cheap though, and will have good air flow and plenty of space for whatever. Also I have two 42U racks, so I am not worried about space :D I will probably get the one with 15 HD locations for my Plex Server as well.

Sean

Well if you have 2 server racks then NVM :rofl:

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
He is only using one drive though, so doesn't really matter

But not in my Plex server :D They have a version of that case with 12 hot swap bays for $249. That may be a good option for that.

Well if you have 2 server racks then NVM :rofl:

I couldn't pass up the deal, two 42U APC server racks in excellent condition for $350 I sure didn't need two full size racks, but why not :D

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
But not in my Plex server :D They have a version of that case with 12 hot swap bays for $249. That may be a good option for that.

I couldn't pass up the deal, two 42U APC server racks in excellent condition for $350 I sure didn't need two full size racks, but why not :D

I love the 4224 case.

But its possible to find some Supermicro cases on eBay used for similar pricing as my 4224.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...rentrq:4e5f805416b0a9cb0f702855ffe4cd91|iid:1

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Alright, here is what I currently have selected.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master
Memory: G.SKILL Aegis 32GB DDR4 2666 (2 x 16GB)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB M.2 2280
HDD: WD 4TB Purple 64MB Cache
Case: Rosewill RSV-R4000 4U Server Chassis
Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550PX 80+ Platinum

I think that is everything besides Windows? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Sean

The processor is $10 cheaper at Microcenter right now. Plus it usually goes on sale. Microcenter will also price match Newegg, Best Buy, and Amazon.

In fact, I would just pay attention to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ and see what goes on sale. Right now the Ryzen 3 2200G APU is on sale for $70. Same as a 1600, but still. Lots of stuff can be had from that subreddit and Ive lost some money following it. LOL.

I know the jury is still out, but I gave my daughter a PC I built with an Inland Pro NVME 250GB drive that was $40 and its been on for a little over a month and having no issues. The 1TB model is around $100 if you want more. Id honestly just make the trip to MC and get your stuff there.

Instead of windows, and with wanting to do a plex server as well, why not look into Freenas or Unraid? Most of what you want to do can be run in a docker container while having data redundancy with a parity drive in unraid or a straight up raid configuration in freenas.

Go with 16GB ddr4-3200 or 3000. 32gb is overkill and you can go faster then 2666 with that board easily.

Also is there a reason you are going with such a big case? That thing will be massive and have tons of empty space lol

Ryzen loves faster memory for sure, but I doubt he is going to be gaming or doing anything mission critical. I would think 2666 ram would be fine for his application. Otherwise, yeah, Id go 3000 or above.

I do want some redundancy. Weather that is two drives in the same case, or having it mirror over to a drive in my Plex server I am not sure.

As stated, while doing this build, just set it up as a server vs a window machine. I know [MENTION=2933]Thirdgen89GTA[/MENTION] uses freenas, and I use unraid. I chose unraid over freenas just for the simple fact that I can add and swap drives that are different sizes as I need or as I see fit, while maintaining a parity drive for redundancy. I know there are multiple threads on the unraid reddit with people saying they left freenas or other free NAS software solutions for unraid for that fact and that the dockers vs jails and VM support was way more abundant. Either solution can work for you, or you can go windows if you want. Just throwing that out there that if you are building something from scratch, Id make it a server right out of the gate instead of setting up your thing now and then doing something else later.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The processor is $10 cheaper at Microcenter right now. Plus it usually goes on sale. Microcenter will also price match Newegg, Best Buy, and Amazon.

In fact, I would just pay attention to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ and see what goes on sale. Right now the Ryzen 3 2200G APU is on sale for $70. Same as a 1600, but still. Lots of stuff can be had from that subreddit and Ive lost some money following it. LOL.

I know the jury is still out, but I gave my daughter a PC I built with an Inland Pro NVME 250GB drive that was $40 and its been on for a little over a month and having no issues. The 1TB model is around $100 if you want more. Id honestly just make the trip to MC and get your stuff there.

Instead of windows, and with wanting to do a plex server as well, why not look into Freenas or Unraid? Most of what you want to do can be run in a docker container while having data redundancy with a parity drive in unraid or a straight up raid configuration in freenas.

Ryzen loves faster memory for sure, but I doubt he is going to be gaming or doing anything mission critical. I would think 2666 ram would be fine for his application. Otherwise, yeah, Id go 3000 or above.

As stated, while doing this build, just set it up as a server vs a window machine. I know [MENTION=2933]Thirdgen89GTA[/MENTION] uses freenas, and I use unraid. I chose unraid over freenas just for the simple fact that I can add and swap drives that are different sizes as I need or as I see fit, while maintaining a parity drive for redundancy. I know there are multiple threads on the unraid reddit with people saying they left freenas or other free NAS software solutions for unraid for that fact and that the dockers vs jails and VM support was way more abundant. Either solution can work for you, or you can go windows if you want. Just throwing that out there that if you are building something from scratch, Id make it a server right out of the gate instead of setting up your thing now and then doing something else later.
For NVR you want fastest CPU, RAM and HD you can get.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info