🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Ohh my lawn is trash right now. I hope it wont be next year.

yeah I’ve not got the Time to handle too much outside. Once the inside of the house gets situated it will be better. I did lop down all the weeds and nasty bushes around the house and chopped down everything around the front of the house. There were soo many weeds that I could not tell what was there. Such a mess!
Thought about a service to handle lawn care but with such a huge lawn it would be money we don’t want to spend at the moment. Plus if I have the weeds clover and such killed there will be areas with just nothing. Lol

Reactions: Fish

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
yeah I’ve not got the Time to handle too much outside. Once the inside oh the house gets situated it will be better. I did lop down all the weeds and nasty bushes around the house and chopped down everything around the front of the house. There were soo many weeds that I could not tell what was there. Such a mess!
Thought about a service to handle lawn care but with such a huge lawn it would be money we don’t want to spend at the moment. Plus if I have the weeds clover and such killed there will be areas with just nothing. Lol

Ive read so much about spring and or fall lawn treatments that it makes my head spin. I dont even know what kind of grass I have. :rofl: If I can get ahold my the inside of my house, I might just try to dethatch and overseed in late October/early November.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Ive read so much about spring and or fall lawn treatments that it makes my head spin. I dont even know what kind of grass I have. :rofl: If I can get ahold my the inside of my house, I might just try to dethatch and overseed in late October/early November.

Same!! Lol. Seems every other video I watch ha a completely different method for lawn care. I plan on picking one video series and just going with that.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’ll say from what I’ve been seeing lately, any series pushing a lot of Nxt products is selling snake oil. They got me good this year and I really didn’t see the results. Anything with oxide based micronutrients isn’t going to do shit because it isn’t plant available, and university studies have shown Humic acid doesn’t do what they claim it does either. Ryan Knorr seems fairly honest, and if you really want to go deep watch The Grass Factor. Half these you tubers are just trying to sack ride on the Lawn Care Nuts success.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't go anywhere to the lengths Dan does. Whatever Weiss is doing, works. Otherwise I make sure to cut properly and make sure blades are sharp. The lawn at the WeGo house was a clover/weed fest a year or two ago. Now, you can't find any weeds other than maybe up next to the foundation of the house. I can't cut that grass fast enough. Even with no rain.

The Elgin house, just the same. No weeds. The issue here is that it is very dried out from lack of rain. So I've let it go in terms of mowing, other than certain areas which I touch up.

When I did start to notice a few rogue undandylions, all the sudden the Weiss truck shows up for my late summer application.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I don't go anywhere to the lengths Dan does. Whatever Weiss is doing, works. Otherwise I make sure to cut properly and make sure blades are sharp. The lawn at the WeGo house was a clover/weed fest a year or two ago. Now, you can't find any weeds other than maybe up next to the foundation of the house. I can't cut that grass fast enough. Even with no rain.

The Elgin house, just the same. No weeds. The issue here is that it is very dried out from lack of rain. So I've let it go in terms of mowing, other than certain areas which I touch up.

When I did start to notice a few rogue undandylions, all the sudden the Weiss truck shows up for my late summer application.

I use them too and my only complaint is that they don’t do a great job surveying the needs/condition of the yard. They just come in spray/apply and are out as quickly as possible. There’s been times that I’ve had to complain about weeds that they missed or spraying for crabgrass.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Dethatching, overseeding seeding / dead spot repairs, starter fertilizer and watering went very well in the past 3 or so weeks.

Lawn is lush, this and healthy green.

This video popped up on YT today and everyone in my household is laughing their asses off as I went from “Oh shit” weeks back to now strutting to the mailbox.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Okay I need a leaf blower. Something that can handle 100x150ft yard with an ass ton of leaves. I have a shitty plug in one that I got for free but dragging 150ft of extension cord is a hard no. Would a battery powered one handle the whole area or should I plan on getting an extra battery up front? Gas powered ones a waste or what? Anyone have ones they like or suggestions?

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've got the 125BT. I duct taped a different end to it (one that has the horizontal wedge design) from an older Homelite I had because I didn't like the standard circle output. That design is great for overall CFM of airflow, but doesn't work well getting under leaves and pushing them.

One thing I don't like about the backpack design (and this isn't a knock on the Husqvarna, it's all of them), you lose some manuverability in tight spaces as the outlet/handle is always on your right. So say for example, you want to get in to any shrubs/bushes around the house that accumulate leaves, it can kinda be a PITA to work compared to a hand held unit. But out in the open yard, clearing sidewalks, driveways, etc, a backpack style just works sooo much better.

For my size yards, I only go gas. We just aren't there with battery powered ones yet. Heavy wet leaves don't move as easy as the Home Depot commercials make it look with leaves happily flying, easily. Not to mention as you push them forward, they build a pile and then you also need to push the pile along.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I got this guy if someone has leaves that can really test it.

So far I really dont get the big leaves that get heavy when wet in the yard. Which is a good thing. However I get the small BS ones.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
that is my concern with the battery ones. Just running out of juice and needing multiple batteries. Might be worth it if there is a good trimmer and other tools though that use the same battery. Really leaning towards hand held gas leaf blower right now. Wife says if I get the backpack style one she will use but I find that highly unlikely. Lol.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
that is my concern with the battery ones. Just running out of juice and needing multiple batteries. Might be worth it if there is a good trimmer and other tools though that use the same battery. Really leaning towards hand held gas leaf blower right now. Wife says if I get the backpack style one she will use but I find that highly unlikely. Lol.

So far I havent been let down by my 40V stuff, but depending on the situation, or size of the lawn, it might not be enough. I still dont know if Ill be able to do my entire yard with 2 6aH batteries for mowing. So far I have not, but they were special circumstances. I did the back yard last night around 6 and just my back area consumed a little over 1/4 of a 6aH battery. I still have way more lawn to do if I were to try and do it all at once.

I will probably get at least one 7.5aH battery if not 2, on top of the 2 6aH and the single 4aH battery that I already have, and that would be more than enough to go ham on my entire lawn with all my devices being able to use the same batteries.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I got this guy if someone has leaves that can really test it.

So far I really dont get the big leaves that get heavy when wet in the yard. Which is a good thing. However I get the small BS ones.

Well I have 6 trees ranging from 50-80ft tall in my backyard. They are just starting to turn. In a week I’ll have enough leaves to bury the house. Lol.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've had both hand held (gas and electric) and back pack (gas).

The hand helds are more flexible in terms of manuvering as I eluded to above. However, the gas ones I have had, didn't last very long (Homelite's). Maybe 3 - 4 years. The back pack one, I have now had 12 years, maybe more. Runs like a beast.

One thing to look to, is don't just get caught up in MPH that they always like to advertise. MPH is good, don't get me wrong, but to help get that, sometimes you lose CFM of air movement.

For example, those Homelite hand helds had 150mph velocity. My Husky back pack is 125mph. But out in the open yard, that Husqvarna actually gets more work done, more efficiently, because it's moving more air.

Another example, I have a cheap, weed eater electric (I bought it from our sample store for $25 years ago). This hand held has 200mph speed listed on it IIRC. Yet out in the open "field" at the WeGo house, I run circles around my kids in the fall with the 125BT. And not just because they're kids. But it simply is doing more work than the higher velocity one.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I've had both hand held (gas and electric) and back pack (gas).

The hand helds are more flexible in terms of manuvering as I eluded to above. However, the gas ones I have had, didn't last very long (Homelite's). Maybe 3 - 4 years. The back pack one, I have now had 12 years, maybe more. Runs like a beast.

One thing to look to, is don't just get caught up in MPH that they always like to advertise. MPH is good, don't get me wrong, but to help get that, sometimes you lose CFM of air movement.

For example, those Homelite hand helds had 150mph velocity. My Husky back pack is 125mph. But out in the open yard, that Husqvarna actually gets more work done, more efficiently, because it's moving more air.

Another example, I have a cheap, weed eater electric (I bought it from our sample store for $25 years ago). This hand held has 200mph speed listed on it IIRC. Yet out in the open "field" at the WeGo house, I run circles around my kids in the fall with the 125BT. And not just because they're kids. But it simply is doing more work than the higher velocity one.

Lots of good points here. Liking the backpack style gas ones the more I think of it. Little loss in mobility is okay because the yard is mostly open and who knows the wife might like to run it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
honestly a rake might be a better option if it's how my old yard was... leaves would get like 5-7inches deep and pushing them onto a tarp and then dragging it to the edge of the road was the easiest option it seemed. i have a nice husqvarna gas blower and it was a nice helper but the rakes got it done. basically became shoveling snow.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
truth be told if you wanna borrow my gas husqvarna and see how it goes i could just drop it off.

might take you up on that once these leaves drop.

also... fuck man... you've got some time if your trees were anything like my old ones :rofl:

fuckers wouldn't drop til at least a few solid frosts. be out there middle of november into start of december fucking with that shit.

We shall see. Right now it looks like this. Can’t see them but The tops of them are starting to turn.

B1DC2B56-CC83-4345-B457-71221EC42EB1.jpeg

Thread Info