🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’m lucky that I have driveway separating my yard from the weed field next door. I still need to spray mine soon for some weeds. Have clover, creeping Charlie and what I think is nimblewill. I got some Speedzone a couple weeks ago which is basically weedbgon at much higher percentages and goes down at 1oz per thousand square feet.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
With everything going on, I am trying to get the outside landscape in as well. My buddy and I trimmed the trees so I can at least walk under to mow, along with kids not getting slapped in the face when riding their bikes since a few branches were that low, mow the forest down to an acceptable level, and we edged most of the walkways. Couldnt do the curb edge since HP started doing sidewalk work a couple days before we closed. This now pushes me to make sure the sidewalks are power washed to at least kinda match the newly poured sections.

Need to address the canadian thistle that I have in a few areas and just do some weed spraying still. I started reading the link posted about proper lawn care and can already say I made a couple mistakes.

I went from a 4 to a 3 when mowing. I think all I did was kill the batteries in my lawn mower faster and gave the grass an even harder time trying to do anything.

Here is the nice pile that I got a landscape company to take for $60 instead of having to bundle, cut, then buy stickers for so groot would take it.

6C91368B-B47A-4E32-AB38-5528F5D6184D.jpeg

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Watered each zone for an hour this morning before attempting to aerate this evening.

Front yard went smoothly. Will mow on setting 1 tomorrow and over seed. Plan on seeding the area around the tree too as I prefer that look over the bricks and wood chips I had around the previous tree.
20AC4A44-450F-415E-96F0-B91196D26E91.jpeg

Back yard didn’t go so well. Turns out all the dead spots are dead because the water doesn’t even penetrate the surface because the dirt is so hard. Threw the garden hose on some spots and let it sit for 10 minutes or so and still can’t penetrate with the aerator.
33B327E0-9677-4DDF-BBAC-6C8871D24FF2.jpeg

Running the rear irrigation system for another hour per zone tonight and then again tomorrow to see if I can get the back aerated so I can over seed. If thatmuch water doesn’t work not sure what I’ll do back there.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It does depend on the grass you have. If you have a grass that grows better in cooler situations, then fall does make sense. However most grasses people have, are not, and spring is the best. The mindset is you want it to recover the quickest during it's stronger growing period.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
It does depend on the grass you have. If you have a grass that grows better in cooler situations, then fall does make sense. However most grasses people have, are not, and spring is the best. The mindset is you want it to recover the quickest during it's stronger growing period.

I’ve had better luck in the fall, but you guys do what works for you.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Cool seasons grasses typically grow in spring and fall. I think you realistically could aerate in spring and fall. I have in mid late September in the past, but this back yard project has sucked the life out of me and I’ll just get the front and back aerated next year. Company I use was $42 regardless of yard size so I might as well get my money’s worth.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I’ve had better luck in the fall, but you guys do what works for you.

I have always had a lawn service that does it (except once when a neighbor rented a machine and while he had it, I wrestled it through my yard). All of them, including the one I have now, do it in spring.

I seem to recall the current place saying that they want to do it just before peak growing season to allow the yard to recover quicker or something. Hence spring.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
This may sound stupid but when u aerate do u rake up the plugs of mud or is it better to leave them?

The few videos Ive seen say to leave them. I always thought it was goose poop or something. :rofl:

I did see another video where someone used a liquid aerator and it appeared to assist. Probably not as good as a mechanical aerate, but looked to help water get absorbed pre spray.

I was watching vids on that then all of a sudden Im watching DIY French drains. :rofl: I need to stop.

• Haha
Reactions: Aircal

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Man I’m glad I don’t live next door to you guys. Lawn has some grass and the rest is clover, and some other kind of leafy stuff that loves the the shade and I’m good with that. I kill off the dandelions as I spot them and spray them. Yard is sooo bumpy if I drive the riding lawnmower more than 3rd gear it will buck me off.

I’ve gotten a lot of good tips from this thread on what to do and not to drive though so it’s all good.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Man I’m glad I don’t live next door to you guys. Lawn has some grass and the rest is clover, and some other kind of leafy stuff that loves the the shade and I’m good with that. I kill off the dandelions as I spot them and spray them. Yard is sooo bumpy if I drive the riding lawnmower more than 3rd gear it will buck me off.

I’ve gotten a lot of good tips from this thread on what to do and not to drive though so it’s all good.

Ohh my lawn is trash right now. I hope it wont be next year.

Thread Info