🔧 BUILD IceCreamAssassin's Turbo Coprice goes to the dyno and makes some jam - 1000 WHP here we come

General Information

So I guess I’ll back up a little first. Near the end of last summer I had some dollars saved up and called Bob at next gen to ask what he suggested. Well he basically said to give him dollars and he would give me four digits. So I got an iron block 6.0 with just basic bitch built bottom end and ordered a 78/80 turbo. Well of course I waited till late winter to even start the project and by then as we all know things took longer to get done. My cousin who is a mechanic at BlackDog speed shop helped me a bunch and Bob is awesome with answering all my late texts and calls for help to questions.

So basically I have:
-built bottom end
-bigger injectors
-resurfaced heads
-new fancy lifters and pushrods
Other than that everything is basically the same motor wise. I also changed the diff, put in beefy motor and trans mounts, and V6 brakes to help clear the future 15” wheels.
When I went to install the new turbo there was a small issue which I needed to send it back for, so I decided to just have Bob tune it with the current turbo and then we can compare it with the new one once that is done.

Cliffs: same turbo, built-ish motor, all the boosts.

On 93 I had him be really conservative in case I can only find 91 while out taking trips and she made 557whp

Then was time for the fun E85 stuff and man am I super happy with this car and how everything turned out. With the baby 75/76 turbo she ripped 978whp. It’s easily over 1000hp if I was to take the air filter off or put real exhaust on the car. I’m so pumped with the car right now.

DF5BB074-4E04-49F0-B1D7-616E48C3BE54.png

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Wasn’t sure where to put this so I guess here is as good as anywhere.
First off I want to thank Mook Mook and Teege24 Teege24 for a great event along with all the sponsors that contributed. Lots of different neat cars and an overall great time and people.

Second I need to thank SRT41320 SRT41320 more than anyone. To say he went above and beyond to help me get my car ready for the event is a huge understatement! Roger you’re amazing and I owe you a lot of ice cream and dollars, but also feel so lucky liked I gained a great friend through this process.

Third thanks to all the people who said hi and complemented me on my weight loss, felt great and I suck at taking compliments, just know it meant a lot to me and I appreciated it very much.

Also big thanks to Shawn1112 Shawn1112 for lending me the trailer. Obviously came in very handy!!

So with me blowing up my heads it created a whole shit load of issues. I got the heads off in a day and ordered new LS9 heads. Took a few late nights after work and Roger helping to get it all back together. Once back together it fired up and everything seemed great. Buttoned the rest of the car up and started putting coolant in. Well it ended up all over the floor. The stock heads had the rear steam ports blocked off that I didn’t notice weren’t blocked off on the new heads. So overnighted some block offs. Then Roger was getting ready to throw those in and noticed my radiator was split. So paid to overnight one of those. Roger got the old one out, I can in Thursday after work and he stayed to help me get it in. I buttoned up everything while it warmed up and seemed good to go.

I took it for a test drive and just fell on its face anytime I got near boost, then I remembered the whole intake was filled with coolant so the MAF was probably fucked. Got back to the shop, took it apart, and cleaned it the best I could. I was talking with Bob from next gen and he mentioned to check my intercooler for more coolant, fuck I didn’t think about that. So tore the whole cold side apart and cleaned everything out. It was pretty wet and gross. Put the whole car back together and it felt great. Drove around and got some fresh E85 and through it on the trailer at about 2am Friday morning.

Once at the track everything started great. My first past I was just trying to remember how to drive the car and do a burnout. The only thing odd is it never spud the drivers rear tire during a burnout. The second pass went perfect, hit a 10.67 on 15psi… fucking dialed and just let it alone.
First round hat race my inexperience fucked me and I accidentally turned off my trans controller instead of hold down my two step, so lost of course. Well with that over, now time to turn it up and go for my 9.
So I made some boost control settings and made a hit. About 100’ out I blew a tube off, so back to the pits and my cousin Justin helped me get it going again. So the pass after that really didn’t as expected. Felt stronger but my 60’ sucked and still stuck at 10.6. So I played with the boost controller and tried to give it one more shot. Right after my burnout the car died (which it had been doing all day) and the check engine light came on. Well it started right up and sounded fine so I staged and left. Felt okay but slower. The time slip would confirm as I ran a 11.1. I’m now running around 19psi instead of the 15 so something was wrong. The rod knock as I drive back to the pits would confirm. After looking at the logs I dropped to about 8psi at one point.

So not sure what I’m gonna do from here. I don’t have any more dollars to spend on it for awhile. I’ll call the engine builder and see what a refresh would cost but don’t be surprised if you don’t see this car for awhile. I’m just really bummed, mostly at myself as I probably created all these problems myself.

Either way I had a great time and it was good to see everyone and all the cars.

TLDR- thanks to people, cop car go boom, I fix, go boom again, I’m done for awhile.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Either way I had a great time and it was good to see everyone and all the cars.

TL DID READ. The statement above is all that matters.
You can work on the car as time and money allows and know that it is close to your goal as it stands.

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Wouldn't be surprised if it got a few weak/hurt pistons when it torched the heads, and the track passes finished them off. Sorry to see the shit luck going on with the car, but at least you did make it out to the track day.
Definitely, it’s the game we play I suppose.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Damn, that sucks to hear. Hope it all works out for you. I know that feeling when you're just done with a car. Just sit back on it a little bit, it'll come around.
I’m not done with the car, I love this car. I’m just financially beat down. I just need to ask myself if I want this car to be my drag and drive car or or a super fun daily and just dial it back a notch or three.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
just need to ask myself if I want this car to be my drag and drive car or or a super fun daily and just dial it back a notch or three.
Sucks to hear broski, but I'm sure she will eventually be back on the road.

I know shit can happen at any power level, even more so when you throw boost at it. When I decided to throw a blower on my 71, my goal was a super fun daily.
Believe me, I thought long and hard about chasing north of 1000whp and trying to be one of the fastest locally on big rims. But in the end, I didnt want all the issues that come with it, because I drive my shit hard AF every chance I get.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Understandable.

How bad was it knocking.
Caught it just at the beginning stages. Hard to hear it over the exhaust actually.
Sucks to hear broski, but I'm sure she will eventually be back on the road.

I know shit can happen at any power level, even more so when you throw boost at it. When I decided to throw a blower on my 71, my goal was a super fun daily.
Believe me, I thought long and hard about chasing north of 1000whp and trying to be one of the fastest locally on big rims. But in the end, I didnt want all the issues that come with it, because I drive my shit hard AF every chance I get.
Definitely, I also drive my shit like it owes me, because it fucking does. After all the hard work and dollars it owes me many smiles and I won’t change the way I drive even if it happens again after my first rip.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I wouldn't doubt you came close to hydrolocking those cylinders right at the letoff point when coolant pressure would have pushed coolant into the cylinders once the throttle closed.

I hope you find that it just hammered a couple of bearings but definitely check for any compressed ring lands.

Welcome to the "i'm just gonna keep it on the gate spring club"

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Thread Info