I feel like my furnace is running too much..

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Holy crap, that's awesome. Is that built in functionality with the next thermostat? If so, I want one suddenly.

Yes. That's a histogram of the times my furnace is on and off during the day. The nest is easily one of the coolest things you can do for your house. Besides being able to adjust your thermostat from your phone or tablet, it also records your performance and how much energy you are saving. Basically the first week you have it, you set the temp when you wake up and leave for work, then when you get home and when you go to bed. After a while it learns your routine and how long your particular house takes to warm up vs furnace runtime (or vice-versa with AC) and begins turning on your furnace to reach that temperature by the time you would normally be turning the thermostat up. So for example if you normally wake up at 6am for work, it may turn itself up at 5:45 to hit your target temperature by 6. And after a while you don't have to touch it at all. (It's also easy to edit via your cellphone if your schedule changes for a few days and you don't want it to run the usual program.) also it has infrared and acoustic sensors that determine if nobody is home for a few hours and it will automatically go into away mode and lower itself to a set "low" temp. It also downloads the weather and compensates itself for outside temp.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Here's a brief history of my house.
ae154a1f88d2026c2a62e9715e542c1c.jpg

Nest is awesome from what I've heard.

Nest | The Learning*Thermostat | Home

Holy crap, that's awesome. Is that built in functionality with the next thermostat? If so, I want one suddenly.

Yes. That's a histogram of the times my furnace is on and off during the day. The nest is easily one of the coolest things you can do for your house. Besides being able to adjust your thermostat from your phone or tablet, it also records your performance and how much energy you are saving. Basically the first week you have it, you set the temp when you wake up and leave for work, then when you get home and when you go to bed. After a while it learns your routine and how long your particular house takes to warm up vs furnace runtime (or vice-versa with AC) and begins turning on your furnace to reach that temperature by the time you would normally be turning the thermostat up. So for example if you normally wake up at 6am for work, it may turn itself up at 5:45 to hit your target temperature by 6. And after a while you don't have to touch it at all. (It's also easy to edit via your cellphone if your schedule changes for a few days and you don't want it to run the usual program.) also it has infrared and acoustic sensors that determine if nobody is home for a few hours and it will automatically go into away mode and lower itself to a set "low" temp. It also downloads the weather and compensates itself for outside temp.

does anyone else have one of these yet?

[MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] do you still like it?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
The ONLY thing that saves you money or reduces run time of a furnace is how well your structure is insulated.
Dialing the thermostat down when you are away or asleep in a poorly insulated home will end up costing you more money in the long run.
Why? Because all of the walls, floors and belongings in the home must heat up to the programmed temp of the thermostat (when you turn it back up) before everything will equalize.

Its like throwing one ice cube into a gallon of luke warm pop and expecting it to get cold right away.....it just doesnt work that way.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
does anyone else have one of these yet?

[MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] do you still like it?

Yes, I still like it. It's prettymuch learned as much as it can about my schedule so I don't use it much, but it's nice if it gets too hot in the bedroom in the middle of the night.... Just grab the phone and crank up the AC.

I also ordered the smoke detector that links with the thermostat and am oddly excited about it

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
My home was built in 77 and the previous owners did new high efficiency windows throughout in 2007. I know I have a leak from my garage entry door, which I am going to replace in the next month before it gets too cold. I know I can use a little more insulation in the attic so I used my brother Angie's List account. This company does energy audits for $49 bucks and had a lot of good reviews. They do a blower door test and use FLIR. I am going to try it out and see what they find.

Energy Audit - Green Attic Insulation Inc. - attic insulation

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I am going to buy the Nest 2.0. Vogz has one and said it lowered his electric bills over the summer. The big plus for me is being able to control remotely.

I really have no comparison because I bought a nest 2.0 a week after I moved in, but keeping my house at 70* over the summer and comparing electric bills with guys at work I was a good 20-30% lower than guys with similar sized houses and them keeping their houses at 72*

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info