Help: Broken Tailgate Latch

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I went out to my truck this morning to load up our suitcases and head fishing. When I pulled the handle, something plastic sounded like it broke and the handle is floppy and won't open the tailgate. Problem is my truxedo cover is fully latched and closed, all of my fishing and boat gear is in the truck bed as well.

Is there a way I can get this tailgate open without having to cut my truxedo cover off and ruin it? How can I get this tailgate open? Thanks for the help.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s probably one of the rod clips that broke. Can you see anything under the handle when you lift it? I’d sacrifice the handle before the topper

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I can't see anything when I lift the handle other than the right side is broken off. We are cutting our trip short and heading home since all of our gear is locked back there. I will rip the handle off when we get home and see if I can see anything.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd just break the handle off completely. There should be two horizontal rods or some kind of scissor lever that actuate the lock mechanisms. Pull those and the gate should open.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thats the cheapest solution right there. Hopefully a locking handle mechanism isn’t too much.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, dudes. I will give it a go when I get back in a couple hours.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I broke off the handle and took a peek inside. I got lucky and stuck a screw driver in that slot, pushed toward the middle of the gate, and it opened right up. Now I just need to find a replacement handle. Thanks again for the tips gents. I was ready to rip that soft top off with my hands given how shitty this weekend trip went.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom