Heated garages are bad for your car in the winter

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Mine is not heated, but is well insulated and I have a decent R value garage door. Mine never got below freezing last winter, even when the nights were like -10. Plus both vehicles throw off a lot of heat.

Benefit of living in a townhome built after 2000 and sharing a garage wall with someone. Insulated on 3 walls, insulated ceiling, I insulated the overhead door and all the drywall is double thickness fire retardant. I installed door speakers and swapped door handles on my Silverado when it was -11 outside and my garage never got below 35* with nothing but the radiant heat from the engine keeping the garage warm. I wasn’t cold but I’m outside all day every day.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It's usually 65* - 72* in mine in the dead of winter.

Of course I'm not concerned about the issue at hand in this thread because the vehicle that occupies it in winter isn't subjected to winter elements.

A couple years ago, it was one of those really cold winters and I had the GTO up on stands with everything from the transmission back out of the car and doing it in shorts and a t-shirt as if it were August.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I keep my car in a bubble

3cff93059708e22c90e3f50c9d24bbc7.png

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'm going to classify this as a snowflake enduced thread

Well, salt only comes onto the ground when it snows......so.....

I never thought about it, but why not just seal your frame and inner body panels that would be affected? :dunno:

Or big ballers will just get an under carriage sprayer as you enter your heated garage.

Or move to FL and enjoy the bath salts and Flyn. :trump:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i miss [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION]

[MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION]

Sorry gents. Not having a desk job makes me forget about the internet sometimes :tear:

But yes, I’m 110% convinced that letting your vehicle thaw nightly does nothing but perpetuate rust. You have two options. Never let it see salt, or get rid of it every 4 years and let it be someone else’s problem.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sorry gents. Not having a desk job makes me forget about the internet sometimes :tear:

But yes, I’m 110% convinced that letting your vehicle thaw nightly does nothing but perpetuate rust. You have two options. Never let it see salt, or get rid of it every 4 years and let it be someone else’s problem.

PREEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHH

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info