• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Going on a welding journey.....

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
ive been studying the laser code for the duet RRF 3.2.2 g/m code 3d printer boards that i REALLLLY wwant a fiber laser for a head to be able to swap on

how much power/cross section will it do?

This one is a 3kw fiber laser. It can do up to 5" round tube...I believe it can cut 1/2" thick mild steel.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
greasy greasy need any scrap tubes? 2"SQ 14ga

PXL_20210624_230211113.jpg

Reactions: greasy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
greasy greasy done anything cool with the welder lately?

Dude I wish, part of it is me being lazy, part of it is it makes a HUGE FUCKING MESS in the garage, and part is me being crazy ass busy with work. I would rather spend my free time doing other shit.

I still need to design/make a rear brace for WhiteKnuckle WhiteKnuckleScat. Need someone who can cut out plates to my specs. Also need to design/fabricate a front strut brace which will need the plates.

How about you? I think I read somewhere here you are picking up a TIG machine.

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Dude I wish, part of it is me being lazy, part of it is it makes a HUGE FUCKING MESS in the garage, and part is me being crazy ass busy with work. I would rather spend my free time doing other shit.

I still need to design/make a rear brace for WhiteKnuckle WhiteKnuckleScat. Need someone who can cut out plates to my specs. Also need to design/fabricate a front strut brace which will need the plates.

I get ya man, especially with it being summer, hot as balls and lots of other shit going on.
The mess does get old too, metal shavings everywhere gets really old.

Yeah I picked up a Synchrowave 210 over the weekend. I had outgrown my Maxstar 140 scratch start machine.
I'm going to build a welding table, then once that's done I'm going to build new exhaust for my C10 out of 304 SS.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I get ya man, especially with it being summer, hot as balls and lots of other shit going on.
The mess does get old too, metal shavings everywhere gets really old.

Yeah I picked up a Synchrowave 210 over the weekend. I had outgrown my Maxstar 140 scratch start machine.
I'm going to build a welding table, then once that's done I'm going to build new exhaust for my C10 out of 304 SS.

Needs pics of the rig!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

send cut send

• Love
Reactions: Jon01 and greasy

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Waterjet cuts are a little easier to weld. From my experience, laser cut edges can need some extra cleaning and prep work. There may be some oxidation and scale or slag from the laser process. Nothing a flapper disc on an angle grinder can't fix. If the edges are going to be milled, shaped, or you're tapping laser cut holes, the edges will be hardened slightly. Nothing more than a slight inconvenience, but it's annoying if you're used to working with waterjet cut material.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Waterjet cuts are a little easier to weld. From my experience, laser cut edges can need some extra cleaning and prep work. There may be some oxidation and scale or slag from the laser process. Nothing a flapper disc on an angle grinder can't fix. If the edges are going to be milled, shaped, or you're tapping laser cut holes, the edges will be hardened slightly. Nothing more than a slight inconvenience, but it's annoying if you're used to working with waterjet cut material.
Waterjet edge quality depends on the operator and the quality they select. I believe it's between 1 and 5 plus of course there are speeds and pressure that matter. They can leave a very very abrasive edge and likely need to be cleaned before welded (regardless of the process, laser, water jet, plasma etc)
I've seen laser that is cut beautifully and some that is cut like shit too. I've seen my little cnc plasma cut better than some laser. Some places just cut as fast as possible and don't care.
With laser or plasma there is a nitride layer that is formed which hardens the edge, it's also really thin. Like he said though nothing a flap disc can't clean up.
I used sendcutsend on one project and it was fast turn around time but wasn't overly in love with the quality however it was also like 26g.
Also any holes on laser or plasma will have a taper.

Reactions: LikeABauce302
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info