đź“° Auto News GM Makes $1,500 OnStar Subscription Mandatory on GMC, Buick, Cadillac

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Well, it is android. :s00ls: Probably powered by a raspberry pi 0, but I wouldnt even say its that powerful.

But how would they make money? Cant sell subscriptions to use their tech if they give you a reason to bypass and use your tech that you already pay a subscription for.
Think of all the money that could be saved with programming, r&d, etc with supporting navigation companies. However, they could just make carplay a $9.99/mo subscription lol

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Think of all the money that could be saved with programming, r&d, etc with supporting navigation companies. However, they could just make carplay a $9.99/mo subscription lol

If anything, I could see Apple doing something like needing an iCloud subscription to use Carplay or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So. Can’t sleep before tour. Brain bug.

You are at the dealership signing the paperwork. The onstar agreement hits the desk. You tell the salesman to fuck off and you don’t sign it. They ask you for a credit card and you don’t provide one.

They tell you you have to agree to buy the car. You threaten to walk. Dealer ends up eating cost of subscription just to sell the car.

Wonder if it would even come to that.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So. Can’t sleep before tour. Brain bug.

You are at the dealership signing the paperwork. The onstar agreement hits the desk. You tell the salesman to fuck off and you don’t sign it. They ask you for a credit card and you don’t provide one.

They tell you you have to agree to buy the car. You threaten to walk. Dealer ends up eating cost of subscription just to sell the car.

Wonder if it would even come to that.
Nope probably not.

Dealer gonna be like it is what it is

Customers gonna be like aight should I bend over your desk or the coffee bar?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We’re still in a feeding frenzy for new cars so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d have to be ordered anyways. Driven by a gm dealership lately? Fucking empty looking

around here seems to be kiiiiinda catching up lately. ford dealer has a lottttt of new vehicles on it's lot.

gm dealer seems to be getting more as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
At this point, most cars should just have the display and have apple/android car play and just do everything from your phone. Their integrated systems are garbage.
Some vehicles do now have basically the same thing on your phone but in the factory head unit. I think I read GM has more vehicles planned to use it in the 2023 models than anyone using it. There is Android Auto which is the phone-based app. Then there is Android Automotive which is the OEM head unit running it natively.

More in-depth info on it

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Some vehicles do now. I think I read GM has more vehicles planned to use it in the 2023 models than anyone using it. There is Android Auto which is the phone-based app. Then there is Android Automotive which is the OEM head unit running it natively.

More in-depth info on it
But why even waste the tech on it, just make it link to your phone and what your phone has on it, is what comes up and plays.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
But why even waste the tech on it, just make it link to your phone and what your phone has on it, is what comes up and plays.
I'm going to bet licensing money. lol

Like I know Hyundai is currently having issues with Apple and Google. Both want to be the manufactures default system. And because of this, neither company will allow wireless use of Carplay or Android Auto. They won't license the tech to them in the hope they can force Hyundai in their direction. Which seems counterintuitive to me. lol So their customers that buy a 2021-2023 vehicle with the upgraded, and larger screen infotainment system don't get wireless Carplay or Android Auto.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Like I know Hyundai is currently having issues with Apple and Google. Both want to be the manufactures default system. And because of this, neither company will allow wireless use of Carplay or Android Auto. They won't license the tech to them in the hope they can force Hyundai in their direction. Which seems counterintuitive to me. lol So their customers that buy a 2021-2023 vehicle with the upgraded, and larger screen infotainment system don't get wireless Carplay or Android Auto.
Capitalists gonna capitalize.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

The loaner 2020 Sonata we had from the dealer had wireless CarPlay.

Wasn’t all that great, but it was wireless CarPlay.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The loaner 2020 Sonata we had from the dealer had wireless CarPlay.

Wasn’t all that great, but it was wireless CarPlay.
I'm not sure what year(s) the newer infotainment started. I thought it was 2021.

Also, the smaller screen still get wireless Carplay and Android Auto. But the upgraded larger screens do not. My 2022 Limited has their larger screen and is wired only. I bought the Motorola MA-1 adapter as a workaround. Still sucks to pay for the higher trim radio to lose the wireless function.

Reactions: Fish and Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm not sure what year(s) the newer infotainment started. I thought it was 2021.

Also, the smaller screen still get wireless Carplay and Android Auto. But the upgraded larger screens do not. My 2022 Limited has their larger screen and is wired only. I bought the Motorola MA-1 adapter as a workaround. Still sucks to pay for the higher trim radio to lose the wireless function.
My car is wired only, and I was considering the adapter, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Acura sends me a postcard every year to update my maps. I bought a grom vline 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. It's an android box that intercepts the signal to the OEM screen. Gave me wireless apple carplay (or wired) while still retaining the OEM look and function. Way better than a pay per year map update to a 10 year old navigation system could ever be.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Part of me loves the idea of wireless CarPlay. The rest of me realizes I normally only charge my phone in the car so I don’t mind. ?
Most cars and phones have wireless charging now. So you can run wireless and still charge. Although some wireless charges seem to heat up the phone a lot.

The aftermarket head unit in my 911 has wireless android auto. But it kills the battery quickly. So wireless is convenient for short trips. I'll go wired for anything more than driving a half hour to work.

Some say the wireless audio quality isn't as good. So there is that too.

I think it would be nice to have a factory head unit that had native Android Auto. That I didn't need my phone to be linked to.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info