đź“° Auto News GM Makes $1,500 OnStar Subscription Mandatory on GMC, Buick, Cadillac

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Read about this earlier this afternoon on jalopnik. Total bullshit.

Here’s the second kick in the nuts, so you know they’re going to keep pushing it:

”The automaker anticipates that customers would be willing to spend as much as $135 a month on various subscriptions – on top of a monthly lease or finance payment.”

It's not a big deal. What is $135 a month when it's adding less than 10% to your car payment? :s00ls:

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
:bowrofl: at thinking it's 2001 and you can "unplug that shit" :rofl:

Yeah, all CANBUS systems now... "Oh, you unplugged that, now these other 27 modules aren't going to work."
You'd be amazed at the amount of random CANbus codes I get now with the Tech2 hooked up when shit is working. :D

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not seeing a thread about it (might have missed it searching):

"According to the new Ford patent, dubbed “Billboard Interfaces for Vehicle Displays,” the automaker in tinkering with the idea of using a vehicle’s cameras to read roadside billboards and subsequently display targeted ads related to those billboards’ content on the vehicle’s infotainment screen. Users would then be able to click on a link to give them more information on the ad."

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Ohh, non skippable ads playing @ max volume while sleeping kids in the car. SOUNDS GREAT!!!
Non skippable ads huh? After a year of ownership my Honda used to do this every 2 weeks when I started the car. An ad to go buy new map data that i get on my cellphone for free. and nothing short of buying new map data would get rid of it except for of course hitting ok, but it would just come right back. No option to ignore future messages

C210016B-8148-45C0-8238-9FC181D4BDD8.jpeg

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Not seeing a thread about it (might have missed it searching):

"According to the new Ford patent, dubbed “Billboard Interfaces for Vehicle Displays,” the automaker in tinkering with the idea of using a vehicle’s cameras to read roadside billboards and subsequently display targeted ads related to those billboards’ content on the vehicle’s infotainment screen. Users would then be able to click on a link to give them more information on the ad."
%D0%B0%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%85.gif

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Non skippable ads huh? After a year of ownership my Honda used to do this every 2 weeks when I started the car. An ad to go buy new map data that i get on my cellphone for free. and nothing short of buying new map data would get rid of it except for of course hitting ok, but it would just come right back. No option to ignore future messages

View attachment 128876

Set your clock to 1900 and see if that goes away. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Fish

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This is what i'm saying, GM what is you doin'

We are now getting into the 2023 lineup launch season, and we are already seeing some hefty price jumps to account for increased supply chain costs. GM could've raised all those MSRPs, pinned it on inflation, and offered a free three-year OnStar subscription to soften the blow.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I'm prrrrreeeeeetty sure gm's newer stuff is Android based from when I had to manually reset my blue trucks.
It is. Also on their highest tech newest radios there is about 3 seconds of delay between hitting the google assistant button and it actually being ready to hear your commands.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It is. Also on their highest tech newest radios there is about 3 seconds of delay between hitting the google assistant button and it actually being ready to hear your commands.
Weird my truck had Alexa

I mean at least they aren't trying to do it themselves.

My navigator doesn't understand a word I say. I'd rather have a delay and it understand me :rofl:

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Well, it is android. :s00ls: Probably powered by a raspberry pi 0, but I wouldnt even say its that powerful.

At this point, most cars should just have the display and have apple/android car play and just do everything from your phone. Their integrated systems are garbage.

But how would they make money? Cant sell subscriptions to use their tech if they give you a reason to bypass and use your tech that you already pay a subscription for.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Bill Gates infamously said "you wouldn't buy a car without a car stereo" when the whole anti trust thing happened. I really wonder if that's going to age well at this point.

Fuck all that shit, I just want what amounts to an over glorified blue tooth speaker in my fucking car. Nothing fancy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info