đź“° Auto News GM Makes $1,500 OnStar Subscription Mandatory on GMC, Buick, Cadillac

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

If you don't want to pay for in-car subscriptions every month, no problem: Just pay it all upfront. That's the line from General Motors today after news spread that it's making a three-year, $1,500 OnStar connected services subscription a mandatory "option" for new Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Escalade models. The subscription, which enables things like using your phone as a key fob, data-enabled navigation, audio streaming, and Amazon's Alexa virtual assistant, is still optional on other GM vehicles, with the Premium package running $49.99 a month. But don't be surprised if this new setup spreads across the automaker's full portfolio

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Read about this earlier this afternoon on jalopnik. Total bullshit.

Here’s the second kick in the nuts, so you know they’re going to keep pushing it:

”The automaker anticipates that customers would be willing to spend as much as $135 a month on various subscriptions – on top of a monthly lease or finance payment.”

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Well this just eliminates certain vehicles from my list of what I want next. In the next 6-8 months I'll most likely getting rid of my RAM for an SUV. No not because family, because I'm tired of being the truck guy and everyone assuming I will move all their stuff at the drop of a hat. And when I don't they get pissed at me for having a life outside of waiting for the next person who needs shit moved.
Anyways.... I've narrowed down the list to
Durango R/T or SRT
Yukon AT4
Explorer ST
Minivan (inside joke over here but fuck are they comfy. Pacifica, bagged on 20s with the quick up/down system).......

With this shit, the Yukon is pretty much off the list at this point.
All these companies making mandatory options is complete bullshit.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Well this just eliminates certain vehicles from my list of what I want next. In the next 6-8 months I'll most likely getting rid of my RAM for an SUV. No not because family, because I'm tired of being the truck guy and everyone assuming I will move all their stuff at the drop of a hat. And when I don't they get pissed at me for having a life outside of waiting for the next person who needs shit moved.
Durango R/T or SRT
Yukon AT4
Explorer ST
Minivan (inside joke over here but fuck are they comfy. Pacifica, bagged on 20s with the quick up/down system).......

Pacifica, interior stripped and ready to hold your bike... air down and ride in, pretty sick.

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Durango R/T or SRT
Yukon AT4
Explorer ST

None of those vehicles would stop me from calling you to help me haul stuff.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
GM is off the list of potential new cars for me and not just because of this bullshit, I know all the manufacturers QC has gone to hell but GM seems to be leading the charge of that and just all around shitty vehicles. I cancelled OnStar months ago when they switched to subscription based tech packages for remote start apps via cellphone and wasn’t going to wait around until their 3g connectivity was phased out.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
None of those vehicles would stop me from calling you to help me haul stuff.
Without having a pick up truck, it would eliminate a lot of opportunities people currently use. I still need a larger vehicle, and a pickup is still ideal for me but shit, I spend every weekend moving couches, tables, chairs, wood, etc....
Also I can say no because it won't fit all the way inside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info