• Other (specify)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Bump to hear any update or new opinions.

I am just now starting to research and I to love the looks of the GMC but don’t mind the Ford. Dodge is out as I will never own another.
As far as engine, same as Fred, I am leaning towards the 6.2 but I am intrigued with the 3.5 Ecoboost or 5.0.
Living more in the boonies now seem to somewhat require a truck towing a single axle trailer as well as a Jet boat in the future for the river.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
5.0 10 speed F-150 is the tits, I leased one for really cheap and I will do it again this winter, if you will just drive it in the winter and towing a boat I’d recommend that route, especially if you like to stay in new stuff

Yeah, since they put the 10 speed in I have added the 5.0 to the list. Appreciate the feedback. Need to get out and drive a couple of these things.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Test drove all the ones I wanted to yesterday.
GMC Sierra 6.2 - This was our favorite but I can’t swing a new one and it seems finding a good used one is few and far between. Good thing is I am not in a hurry.

Ford Ecoboost - I truthfully wasn’t even going to entertain this one but the sales guy insisted I test drive after the 5.0. Glad I did as this will be my second choice and possible purchase if I can’t find a 6.2 I like. It was night and day between the 5.0, so happy we tested them back to back.

Ford 5.0 - Very lazy even with the 10 speed trans. I think I was just expecting more and was just disappointed. When the wife even says give it gas when I had it matted I knew this one was out.

We currently have a 3.5 Edge that we pull stuff with and it struggles with all the hills around us and we have a lot of hills. I didn’t feel the 5.0 would be any better. The Ecoboost felt like it had twice the torque of the 5.0 but it felt more like a switch, you had a lot or it was in the next gear already and had very little. The 6.2’s power was very linear, it seemed to have the torque throughout the rpm range instead of needing to downshift while cruising.

I was hoping to hear input on this thread with new opinions but I guess there isn’t any, was hoping to even hear what the OP went with. Probably better I figure it out on my own any way.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Test drove all the ones I wanted to yesterday.
GMC Sierra 6.2 - This was our favorite but I can’t swing a new one and it seems finding a good used one is few and far between. Good thing is I am not in a hurry.

Ford Ecoboost - I truthfully wasn’t even going to entertain this one but the sales guy insisted I test drive after the 5.0. Glad I did as this will be my second choice and possible purchase if I can’t find a 6.2 I like. It was night and day between the 5.0, so happy we tested them back to back.

Ford 5.0 - Very lazy even with the 10 speed trans. I think I was just expecting more and was just disappointed. When the wife even says give it gas when I had it matted I knew this one was out.

We currently have a 3.5 Edge that we pull stuff with and it struggles with all the hills around us and we have a lot of hills. I didn’t feel the 5.0 would be any better. The Ecoboost felt like it had twice the torque of the 5.0 but it felt more like a switch, you had a lot or it was in the next gear already and had very little. The 6.2’s power was very linear, it seemed to have the torque throughout the rpm range instead of needing to downshift while cruising.

I was hoping to hear input on this thread with new opinions but I guess there isn’t any, was hoping to even hear what the OP went with. Probably better I figure it out on my own any way.

Which ecoboost, 3.5 or 2.7? Assuming 3.5 based on your comments

The 5.0 and 3.5EB are very similar acceleration wise, but the EB has 75 more ft lbs of torque, so obviously it's noticeable. Torque ftw

The 6.2 denali is badass, but you'll get shit mpg for the same power the 3.5 gives you. Plus like you mentioned they're expensive. Yet another reason I went with the 3.5EB ferd instead of the denali.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
0e52c9b042574e9c7d3b55c64cf03183.jpg

The ram interior is sick

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri

The 5.0 and 3.5EB are very similar acceleration wise, but the EB has 75 more ft lbs of torque, so obviously it's noticeable. Torque ftw

The 6.2 denali is badass, but you'll get shit mpg for the same power the 3.5 gives you. Plus like you mentioned they're expensive. Yet another reason I went with the 3.5EB ferd instead of the denali.

You would be correct, it was the 3.5 Ecoboost. If I do find a good used 6.2 I will definitely buy that one first as I am lucky I now have a short work commute.

It is amazing how much he difference in torque is noticed.

What I am looking at now, which is giving me a headache is the options as there are some things I want and some things I don’t want but don’t understand where they fall as far as packages. I really want console shifter, I don’t want any trailer parking aids, I don’t want 36 gallon fuel tank. I would also like to understand the FX4 or sport packages a little better.

I know you said Ram was not in your consideration, but I’d be interested in the comparison of those drivetrains with the 5.7 paired with the e-torque.

Yeah, not going to happen, wife won’t even let me drive by a Dodge dealership.

0e52c9b042574e9c7d3b55c64cf03183.jpg

The ram interior is sick

I tried selling this to the wife and she said Fuck no it’s a Dodge, that screen might leak oil. Lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Bone stock w/ that acceleration or any mods?

All stock the only thing I’ve done to this truck is a bed cover and change the oil, I really really wanted to do a few mods but I only have a 2 year lease since I’d never leased a vehicle before, this next time I’m going to do 3 years and do a couple things right off the get go just a basic tune cold air intake and exhaust, so I have 3 years to enjoy them

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
You would be correct, it was the 3.5 Ecoboost. If I do find a good used 6.2 I will definitely buy that one first as I am lucky I now have a short work commute.

It is amazing how much he difference in torque is noticed.

What I am looking at now, which is giving me a headache is the options as there are some things I want and some things I don’t want but don’t understand where they fall as far as packages. I really want console shifter, I don’t want any trailer parking aids, I don’t want 36 gallon fuel tank. I would also like to understand the FX4 or sport packages a little better.

Yeah, not going to happen, wife won’t even let me drive by a Dodge dealership.

I tried selling this to the wife and she said Fuck no it’s a Dodge, that screen might leak oil. Lol

Wow, your wife is telling you which type of truck to buy???

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
So yea, she does.

Yep, I guess she does......and that’s a problem?

Nothing wrong with a strong opinion from his wife. Also I’m sure she is looking at the loss there family took when they traded in the hell cat so quick.

In my best Paul Harvey voice.....and that is the rest of the story, good day!

Yeah, the wife will never let another Dodge in our garage.

Now back to the topic of Full size trucks.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I purchased a Silverado LT z71 two weeks ago with the 5.3. It's mostly been daily driven outside of when I can take the bike out, it's been good so far with no complaints. Second day of owning it I got a snowmobile with a trailer which was a simple test just to try out some towing. Been averaging around 20mpg between mtn and city driving.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Yep, I guess she does......and that’s a problem?

In my best Paul Harvey voice.....and that is the rest of the story, good day!

Yeah, the wife will never let another Dodge in our garage.

Now back to the topic of Full size trucks.

No of course not, I know exactly what ur saying. Ok gotta go, Wife needs the computer......

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

im pretty sure the 6.2's likely get better real world mpg than the 3.5s

most reviews say something along these lines.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Better than the gen 1’s, but not gen 2 w/ 10sp. No way

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...50-vs-chevrolet-silverado-vs-ram-1500-pickup/

Get out of the Ford and into the Chevy and you do appreciate the easy, natural torque of a large-displacement engine, and props to the Silverado's trick cylinder deactivation for putting the 6.2 ahead of a 3.5-liter in fuel economy, both with and without a trailer behind it. That just goes to show that no matter the cylinder count, displacement, or boost pressure, it takes fuel to make power. Also, it's pretty awesome that the second-quickest truck here ran a 13.9 at 100 mph in the quarter-mile.

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/f...ngcompletespecsperformancedata-1545396085.pdf

ok

Thread Info