• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

First oil change on brand new cars?

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
G8 take 8.8 quarts (I just put in 9), Cadillac takes 9.

Many of these engines with D.O.D. tend to have a larger quantity of oil.

You should see the size of the filter on the Caddy, AC Delco PF26. It's the size of a small coffee can.

My 18 Maro SS uses a small oil filter.

I’m surprised it takes 10 quarts. For cooling and better circulation.

What do you think of GMs Oil Life Monitors?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My 18 Maro SS uses a small oil filter.

I’m surprised it takes 10 quarts. For cooling and better circulation.

What do you think of GMs Oil Life Monitors?

PF46? Or PF48?

I thing OLMS suck in general. It's all calculation based on time, mileage, RPM, etc, etc. I've often changed the oil 3x before it says my oil life is done and I need to change it. Until it does a chemical analysis, something like Blackstone does, I'll take what it says with a grain of salt. :D

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
PF46? Or PF48?

I thing OLMS suck in general. It's all calculation based on time, mileage, RPM, etc, etc. I've often changed the oil 3x before it says my oil life is done and I need to change it. Until it does a chemical analysis, something like Blackstone does, I'll take what it says with a grain of salt. :D

PF64. It’s small imo for a 6.2 V8

I couldn’t agree more. Fuck OLMs.

Especially with synthetic oil.

Alot of guys tell me to change the oil once a year. With full synthetic. If I don’t reach 5k miles first.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Yea u might want to keep it then. They will bring that large coin for a few years cause of auto

I agree. That sucks for some buyers.

Other wealthy buyers will pay whatever it costs.

I assume a lot of guys don’t keep Scats and Hellcats too long. Because of bad gas mileage and depreciation.

I’m lucky if I’ve gotten 15 mpg’s so far. Lol. Mostly city driving though.

And I always put in sport and track mode. That definitely affects mpg.

But I don’t care for Now. I’m lovin’ it.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
PF64. It’s small imo for a 6.2 V8.

On many boards I've been on, there is always discussion about running a bigger (usually longer), filter to provide extra filtration.

Case in point, 3800's use a PF47 filter, so a popular thing was to use the PF52 from a Vortec 4300 or Vortec 5700 because it's like an inch or so longer.

I argue that while getting extra filtration is great, I'd rather have my oil in the engine doing it's job, not in a filter being strained through paper...

So GM must feel that a smaller filter is sufficient, especially in cases where most owners use a higher quality oil to begin with (that has better grades of detergents and other things in them), that they would rather also have the oil in the engine too.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
On many boards I've been on, there is always discussion about running a bigger (usually longer), filter to provide extra filtration.

Case in point, 3800's use a PF47 filter, so a popular thing was to use the PF52 from a Vortec 4300 or Vortec 5700 because it's like an inch or so longer.

I argue that while getting extra filtration is great, I'd rather have my oil in the engine doing it's job, not in a filter being strained through paper...

So a smaller filter, GM feels is sufficient, especially in cases where most owners use a higher quality oil to begin with (Conventional or Synthetic), that has better grades of detergents and other things in them, that they would rather also have the oil in the engine too.

Yeah. I researched on camaro6.com and the owners manual says to use that small filter.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I know I'm a nutswinger, but GM does a few things pretty good. One of them is their engines which of course includes the lubrication systems and standards/testing requirements they set (which in some cases, other manufacturer's end up following/adopting). So I'm not gonna try to outsmart them here.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I'm actually not overly familiar with them to be honest. I know some of the TTV6's (like in the ATS-V) have had some issues and people have had to go to battle with GM honoring warranty, but I also think some were heavily modded too, so.

I’ll. Have too look up those 4cyl.

But. Damn. I know how expensive those ATS-V are.

Obviously. Once we start modding. We can forget about the warranty. Fuck that. Imo.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I know, I looked at them when shopping for the G8 and figured I'd look for shits and giggles. Yea, no...

I mean, modding it all depends. If you build the shit out of your engine and the power window motor goes out, you shouldn't be denied coverage. but if you come in with your TT wonder motor and complain that you have melted slugs and we see the boost control cranked up and running lean from fuel trim freeze frame data, ummm, yea... NO!

I've got many stories as I'm sure Stink Star does from working in a GM dealership service department.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I agree. That sucks for some buyers.

Other wealthy buyers will pay whatever it costs.

I assume a lot of guys don’t keep Scats and Hellcats too long. Because of bad gas mileage and depreciation.

I’m lucky if I’ve gotten 15 mpg’s so far. Lol. Mostly city driving though.

And I always put in sport and track mode. That definitely affects mpg.

But I don’t care for Now. I’m lovin’ it.

You are wealthy

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel

So GM must feel that a smaller filter is sufficient, especially in cases where most owners use a higher quality oil to begin with (that has better grades of detergents and other things in them), that they would rather also have the oil in the engine too.

A larger filter doesn't affect flow like that. It just takes longer to get saturated. As the filters age and become dirty more and more oil is rerouted through a pressure relief bypass. You don't wan't this to happen, because it it bypassing the filter. Also remember that oil does become discolored over time, but it is very dirty with particulates when new. A good filtration system will make your oil cleaner as you use it. On hydraulic oil changes in industry the oil is pumped in through a filtration system before it's even run. Of course they are more sensitive to small particles, but the same applies to engine oil.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
A larger filter doesn't affect flow like that. It just takes longer to get saturated. As the filters age and become dirty more and more oil is rerouted through a pressure relief bypass. You don't wan't this to happen, because it it bypassing the filter. Also remember that oil does become discolored over time, but it is very dirty with particulates when new. A good filtration system will make your oil cleaner as you use it. On hydraulic oil changes in industry the oil is pumped in through a filtration system before it's even run. Of course they are more sensitive to small particles, but the same applies to engine oil.

I never said it affected flow.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I never said it affected flow.

You're right...I assumed. A larger filter will slow flow past the media (if there is a larger media). It won't affect anything other than that. If we were splitting hairs, a larger filter would take longer to fill, and get to pressure. However, it would have to be awfully big to be detrimental.

Adding more volume to the system will increase oil life, temperature stability, and allow more heat to be removed from engine components.

If you can tell, I'm very much for it...lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info