Family dog attacked my son, what to do?

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
So day in and day out you need to worry if the baby has food in its hand not to walk by the dog. If it trips and Lands on or around the area of the dog that the dog doesn't feel threatened and attack.

I'm saying police the dog and kid. Not saying let you baby roam around and garage and hope it doesn't drink antifreeze.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So day in and day out you need to worry if the baby has food in its hand not to walk by the dog. If it trips and Lands on or around the area of the dog that the dog doesn't feel threatened and attack.

I'm saying police the dog and kid. Not saying let you baby roam around and garage and hope it doesn't drink antifreeze.

You wont need to worry if you train them both. Its a new situation for the dog, new for the parents and new for the kid. All parties need to be present in the training of the dog especially the kid. Everyone needs to be training the dog and disciplining it. Once the dog understands that the kid is higher rank, then there wont be any aggression.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Wow, lots of ignorance on both sides in here.

My dog had never bit or shown aggression to anyone before. When my son was about the same age, 14 months or so, a similar thing happened. They were both on the floor near each other, I was not home and my wife was in the adjoining room like 10 ft away. Shes hears a quick snarl and jack is crying and the dog is walking away with her head and tail down. Before this, I had seen Jack get a little rough with her pulling her ears and poking at her eyes, etc and I would always correct him, but the dog never responded with much of anything besides trying to get away from him. We assume this time he really did something to cause pain and she basically whipped her mouth at him with it open. One bottom tooth punctured his cheek and the top teeth just bruised his forehead. This is a 65lb pit/boxer, that was not an attack, it was a serious warning, but an unacceptable one.

We contemplated getting rid of her, even had her stay at a friends parents house for a weekend to see how they liked her. I could not go through with it tho, this mutt had been my companion for 5 years and I know her well. I have always been attentive to the warning signs my dog is not comfortable in a situation and trained her to react appropriately. I literally took her everywhere with me the first 3 years of her life, socialized the hell out of her too. We kept them separated for a while, letting them be together only under close supervision.

Now Jack is 3 and they are best buds, he feeds her for me and understands how to treat her and we have not had a single issue. He can go up and take food out of her bowl and she just moves out of the way and waits patiently. She had some food aggression as a younger dog that we trained out of her, but I know some dogs can be much more difficult with those things.

Only you know your dog so Im not going to tell you what to do. That was just my experience.

Good luck to you.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
A good parent and experienced dog owner right here.

Wow, lots of ignorance on both sides in here.

My dog had never bit or shown aggression to anyone before. When my son was about the same age, 14 months or so, a similar thing happened. They were both on the floor near each other, I was not home and my wife was in the adjoining room like 10 ft away. Shes hears a quick snarl and jack is crying and the dog is walking away with her head and tail down. Before this, I had seen Jack get a little rough with her pulling her ears and poking at her eyes, etc and I would always correct him, but the dog never responded with much of anything besides trying to get away from him. We assume this time he really did something to cause pain and she basically whipped her mouth at him with it open. One bottom tooth punctured his cheek and the top teeth just bruised his forehead. This is a 65lb pit/boxer, that was not an attack, it was a serious warning, but an unacceptable one.

We contemplated getting rid of her, even had her stay at a friends parents house for a weekend to see how they liked her. I could not go through with it tho, this mutt had been my companion for 5 years and I know her well. I have always been attentive to the warning signs my dog is not comfortable in a situation and trained her to react appropriately. I literally took her everywhere with me the first 3 years of her life, socialized the hell out of her too. We kept them separated for a while, letting them be together only under close supervision.

Now Jack is 3 and they are best buds, he feeds her for me and understands how to treat her and we have not had a single issue. He can go up and take food out of her bowl and she just moves out of the way and waits patiently. She had some food aggression as a younger dog that we trained out of her, but I know some dogs can be much more difficult with those things.

Only you know your dog so Im not going to tell you what to do. That was just my experience.

Good luck to you.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
BIG difference. If a dog is attacking a human to take food from its hand, put it down, but that isn't even close to the case the OP described.

ya this would be insane, toy/food aggression is much different, its a dominance stand off between the owner and dog. obviously the undertone in the house is that the dog thinks it has to be the dominate one and that causes a lot of anxiety and thus the aggression.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
It would be interesting to see how many people posting actually have kids. I also have been bitten by a dog, which resulted in nearly two dozen stiches to my right arm and a few days in the hospital to treat the subsequent infection.

I have a 15 month old boy and a 20 lbs Cockapoo . They get along well together, but sometimes my son will get rough and pull his fur, ears, or try to hit him. I correct my son and show him how to gently pet Riley. I’ve taught the dog to also jump off the bed or walk away from him when my son’s getting rough to diffuse the situation. From time to time, Riley will growl to let my son know enough is enough. Again, I correct both of them. He’s never tried to bite my son, but shows that he isn’t playing around by getting vocal.

If he ever went after my son and injured him, as a father I’d have to look for a new home for Riley. At the end of the day, not matter how well trained a dog is it’s still an animal and I would no longer trust it around my child.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
This makes me worried... We have a 2.5 year old, 76 lb golden/std. poodle mix that is just great with our 6 month old daughter. He has no aggressions and just loves people. He's careful around our daughter and when they are near each other, he just lets her tug on his hair, ears, muzzle, and paws. I think he likes it :dunno:

When he was a puppy, we'd mess with his food at each feeding and pull and tug on his fur/ears and just mess with him to be ready for when we did have kids. My wife's cousin has a 3" scar on her face from the family dog as when she was younger she fell into their dog's food dish while it was eating. So we know what a family pet can do if food aggressive.

But I still don't want to be relaxed on the dog interacting with my daughter as it's still an animal and my daughter is just learning how to do basic body movements, let alone how to respect a dog.

To OP, I really don't know what to do in your case. I feel from both sides and hope to never be in this situation with my kid and my dog.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
As a dog owner all my life but 9 years and owning one again and as a child bitten twice. I'll chime in. All personal opinions. Take them or leave them.

Few things, I do not call this an attack. This was a warning shot. Dogs unlike humans can not tell you to fuck off. Dogs snap or bark. And given that your dog is food aggressive, he won't abandoned post while eating to defuse the situation. He will stand his ground.

Unfortunately a child of 14 months old is eye level with a dog, so usually that's were the snap/snip/bite will fall.

Since your dog is over bearing of food, it sounds like there is a question of who is in power all the time, in his mind. He's pulling the Alpha card when it comes to food. And he shouldn't be. He should constantly be a follower aka a Beta.

You need to teach him who is in charge all the time. You feed him and without you he would starve. (you can do alot of reading on this. I won't write the book. It's called establishing a pecking order)

Dogs of great size should never be left unattended with a small child.

The dog should be trained to know all humans are Alpha.

You should also teach your child the rights and wrongs with a dog. When the dog is eating he should be left to eat and not be fussed with. Along goes for when he is sleeping and resting. It's not ok for a little kid to punch,pull or pick.

To me it sounds like some learning needs to happen with both the dog and child.

Remember two wrongs do not make a right. Maybe look into some classes for the dog? I have a number to a great trainer. It's only $20 a class.

I was bitten twice by two different dogs growing up, and now being older. I know why I was, because I was a shit head.

I'm glad your boy is going to be ok! And I'm sorry it happened.

Some good reading here.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/linksbehavior.htm

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
OP you know your dog and kid better than us.

I'd get rid of the dog if it were me. You obviously didn't do anything to prepare the dog for changes like this. You had 9 freakin months (+ the age of the child) to prepare and train your dog on how to act around children.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info