Family dog attacked my son, what to do?

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I have always been nervous about one of our little dogs, he does snap at strangers but never touched them. But since he was a pup never let him be food aggresive. I check him sometimes by taking a rawhide away from him and putting it on my mouth. Thankfully I only get side eyes and then he gets it back. Most times he even lets me hold it while he chews.
The dog needs to see your little one as a alpha. Keeping them apart is not really the answer.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I don't understand how a house dog becomes territorial over its food. Neither of my dogs have EVER done anything when you go and do anything to them while they're eating or take the bowl away. I feel like this is something that the dog needs to be trained to be ok with. Obviously in your case as they say it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks so doubt that'd work.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If you don't mind asking... You've known for 9 or so years that the dog was food aggressive... Why was nothing ever done to curb that?

Train your dog by taking his food from him, while eating, regularly. This will get him used to it and will start making him non-aggressive with his food. Have set eating times (dont leave food out all day) and do not let the dog remove the food from the dish to go elsewhere. Getting them to not remove their food is very easy, i had to do it to my puggle, it just takes some time and you just have to correct her everytime she trys to remove the food.

1st, I'm glad your child is okay but Mooks question is the first thing that popped into my head as well....

I myself was bit in the face as a child by the family dog when he got up on the table and got a donut off the table. Didn't want him to eat chocolate, tried to take it away, got bit in the face.

You need to decide if you want to put in the time and effort to get this resolved (and it'll be a lot of it, so be honest about this answer) first and foremost. After being bit by my own dog because of food aggression I vowed to make sure this doesn't happen with my current dog. Just like tinfoilhat mentions you have to have your child involved with the whole process. Keeping them apart is not the answer in my opinion.

I'm not saying have your child put their hand in the food dish, but I would have him be the one to put the dogs food on the ground. Make sure the dog sits and waits patiently while your son holds the bowl, then puts it down after the dog has waited awhile.... Then you have to be able to take the food away from the dog at any time you want.

Myself, I put my hand in the dogs dish.... use my hand like another dog and push her outta the way so only my hand is in there.... take the food away entirely.... take the food out of her mouth on occasion... etc. Every time I do this she now sits down and waits for me to finish whatever I'm doing before going back to eating.

The same goes for toys as well. When I see her getting way too excited with a toy, it gets taken away until she calms down some and then she gets it back. Tug of war games start when I say go and end when I say stop.

In the end, they're still dogs though and dogs use their mouths to communicate especially with other dogs. The biggest thing you can do is teach your dog to always use a soft mouth. Mine is still a puppy but we've been working on soft mouth stuff for awhile now and it's made huge strides. She use to draw blood often with those damn little puppy razor blade teeth, but has slowly used less and less pressure. She's still teething so chewing on stuff like crazy but I no longer need band-aids after a long play session. Retreivers are naturally great at soft mouths (they're bred to bring back water fowl without puncturing it), and terriers are harder because they weren't bred to have soft mouths... In the end though, any dog can be trained to have a soft mouth.

All in all, just ask yourself if you think it's worth all the work, and be honest with yourself about it. If it is worth it, go for it and keep everyone involved.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Started reading til i got to zxmustang stupid nonsense.

Don't get rid of the dog, it's been part of your family before the damn baby. If the baby don't want to listen then time out, that easy. Lock the baby up in its crib or something every time it doesn't want to listen. But we shouldn't be telling you how to raise your family, you've obviously did a good job with the dog.

And for the dog being aggressive with its food and toys, hey that's just the way it is and you'll have to work around that, no changing that fact. Best bet keep the dog food bowl and where it eats in a separate room that it goes into when eating and don't leave toys laying around for the baby to touch, that's just gross anyway.

Brah, all this is just common sense shit. No need to spread your personal life all over the Internet.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

In the end, they're still dogs though and dogs use their mouths to communicate especially with other dogs. The biggest thing you can do is teach your dog to always use a soft mouth. Mine is still a puppy but we've been working on soft mouth stuff for awhile now and it's made huge strides. She use to draw blood often with those damn little puppy razor blade teeth, but has slowly used less and less pressure. She's still teething so chewing on stuff like crazy but I no longer need band-aids after a long play session. Retreivers are naturally great at soft mouths (they're bred to bring back water fowl without puncturing it), and terriers are harder because they weren't bred to have soft mouths... In the end though, any dog can be trained to have a soft mouth.

completely forgot about the soft bite. basically get your dog riled up(playful wise) and kinda get her to play bite on your hand and arm, every time they put pressure say ouch or some keyword, and stop all play and have her sit. rinse and repeat and eventually they think that putting tiny pressure from biting hurts you so they wont bite hard if there is a snip event again. plus it saves fingers when giving food lol

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Don't get rid of the dog, it's been part of your family before the damn baby. If the baby don't want to listen then time out, that easy. Lock the baby up in its crib or something every time it doesn't want to listen. But we shouldn't be telling you how to raise your family, you've obviously did a good job with the dog.

And for the dog being aggressive with its food and toys, hey that's just the way it is and you'll have to work around that, no changing that fact. Best bet keep the dog food bowl and where it eats in a separate room that it goes into when eating and don't leave toys laying around for the baby to touch, that's just gross anyway.

Brah, all this is just common sense shit. No need to spread your personal life all over the Internet.

food aggression can be fixed. especially with only one dog, it makes it much easier. at this point you just need to teach the dog that everyone in the family is alpha to the dog. then they will wait for the food and understand you make the rules. Dogs are pack animals, be the leader and they will be submissive not aggressive regardless of the situation.

have your kid feed the dog like others have said. your dog needs to know the new baby is top dog to her.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Train your son on how to act around an animal. See this as an opportunity to teach your son. Teach him when theres times to play/pet the dog and times when you leave him alone... Like dinner time.

Train your dog by taking his food from him, while eating, regularly. This will get him used to it and will start making him non-aggressive with his food. Have set eating times (dont leave food out all day) and do not let the dog remove the food from the dish to go elsewhere. Getting them to not remove their food is very easy, i had to do it to my puggle, it just takes some time and you just have to correct her everytime she trys to remove the food.

I disagree with the first part. You shouldn't have to teach the kid anything. He's a kid. The dog needs to be taught that what he did was wrong and aggression isn't tolerated. The dog will need serious training at this point otherwise, imo you'll need to put it down.

My friend had a cooker spaniel since it was a puppy. You could touch his paws, you couldn't cage honor take food away without getting nasty. It bit him quite a few times and his wife couldn't control the dog because it wouldn't listen to her. As soon as she got pregnant, they put the dog down. No shelter would take an aggressive dog like that, and if they did, nobody would adopt and it would get euthanized anyway. Sad part was after a few tests and some meds to slow it down It was 100% healthy. They felt bad, but it was their baby they were more concerned about.

Since day one with my dog, we've always pulled his ears, tail, stuck out hand in his mouth and his food and taken toys away and there's never been. Any aggression. We did this so when we have kids and when kids are playing with him, he does know what to do and doesn't bite.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I disagree with the first part. You shouldn't have to teach the kid anything. He's a kid. The dog needs to be taught that what he did was wrong and aggression isn't tolerated. The dog will need serious training at this point otherwise, imo you'll need to put it down.

My friend had a cooker spaniel since it was a puppy. You could touch his paws, you couldn't cage honor take food away without getting nasty. It bit him quite a few times and his wife couldn't control the dog because it wouldn't listen to her. As soon as she got pregnant, they put the dog down. No shelter would take an aggressive dog like that, and if they did, nobody would adopt and it would get euthanized anyway. Sad part was after a few tests and some meds to slow it down It was 100% healthy. They felt bad, but it was their baby they were more concerned about.

Since day one with my dog, we've always pulled his ears, tail, stuck out hand in his mouth and his food and taken toys away and there's never been. Any aggression. We did this so when we have kids and when kids are playing with him, he does know what to do and doesn't bite.

Kids need to be taught how to handle an animal. The kids who get bit are the ones with parents who didn't teach them that you don't poke a dogs eye like you do with a stuffed animal or grab its tongue. Children need to be taught just as much as the dog because they can be the ones that can start the aggression. Unless you want to be worried 24/7 if the kid is going to fuck with the dog and have it snap, id suggest you teach the kid how to act so then you don't have to worry about them being alone together.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Forgive me for being a little radical about this, but if my dog did that to my 14 month old i swear i would shoot the fuckin thing right in the face, does it once WILL IT DO IT AGAIN.

Then people shouldn't have a dog if they can't properly train it. A dog is like a child, it only knows wrong from right if you TEACH it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

Nonsense huh? When you have a child, I assure you your views on this matter will change. Trust me, it changes you and you will never see it coming. You make good points. But your points come from the view of someone just like mook who doesnt have any children. Im not saying that either side is wrong, but you will take the safe route once you have a little life that depends on your every decision I promise you. And if you dont, then its purely your fault if something happens.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
WTF? Put the dog down because it acted like a dog? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Train your kid not to mess with the dog when it is eating. Growing up we had a Golden Retriever that was food aggressive, it's a fucking dog. He snapped at me once and bit my hand and bit my brothers ear, we dealt with it and he was the greatest family dog ever. Would have been a sin to put him down because he acted like a dog. We learned our lesson and moved on. Since I was a kid, I was trained NEVER fuck with a dog that is eating, it's a damn pack animal. It wasn't a serious attack, leave the dog alone, live and learn.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Then people shouldn't have a dog if they can't properly train it. A dog is like a child, it only knows wrong from right if you TEACH it.

Food aggressivenenss isn't really something that can be trained IMO, especially at an older age. The pecking order was established a long time ago, too late to change that now. You have to work with that type of behavior at months of age, not years.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008

So if your kid sees me walking my dog and grabs and pulls his tale, it's my fault when my dog gets pissed because kids are free of any liability or guilt?

Give me a break.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Idea.

Get a plastic hand. Use it to put food in the bowl. It'll learn that not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Kids are going to be kids. I'm not going to tell my lid to grab dogs ears and tails but kids are going to be curious.

Like the OP said, he tells his kid not to open a cabinet but he still does it.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
There are many options to keep both the dog and child, while avoiding this in the future.

If you relocate the dog, you will always have guilt since you did not see what actually happened. For all you know your kid poked the dog in the eye while eating. I'd bite another human being if that happened to me.

Just keep your eye on the kid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info