⚡ EV F150 Lightning debuts in 2022

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
The “infrastructure plan” should just attach a charging station at major gas stations. Simple. Everywhere you could stop and fuel up with a gas car you can charge up with the EV. A typical gas station stop is always 5-10 min anyways for me so I’d be ok with waiting 15 min for a decent charge up. Just gotta get that technology there.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The “infrastructure plan” should just attach a charging station at major gas stations. Simple. Everywhere you could stop and fuel up with a gas car you can charge up with the EV. A typical gas station stop is always 5-10 min anyways for me so I’d be ok with waiting 15 min for a decent charge up. Just gotta get that technology there.
Gas stations should be begging for this. Think about it. They make almost nothing on selling gas. Most of their profit is selling crap out of the convenient store. If you have customers that are there for 15-20 minutes they are more likely to buy your highly marked up goods. Not to mention charging stations charge wayyyyyy more than the electricity they are using costs So they make money on both ends.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Gas stations should be begging for this. Think about it. They make almost nothing on selling gas. Most of their profit is selling crap out of the convenient store. If you have customers that are there for 15-20 minutes they are more likely to buy your highly marked up goods. Not to mention charging stations charge wayyyyyy more than the electricity they are using costs So they make money on both ends.

I thought Tesla owners using Tesla chargers got to charge for free. I honestly don’t know but I thought that was a perk.

I also only want an EV to use the free chargers at work and not buy gas or charge at home. :rofl:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Early tesla users do have free supercharging. Sometimes they run lifetime free supercharging for s/x for End of quarter push too. And most 3/Y owners have free supercharger miles from referrals. But even if you have to pay, tesla actually charges very minimal cost over the electric cost for charging.

its the CCS charging networks that completely go crazy with overcharging people. for example Electrify America charges $0.43/kWh in Illinois while tesla charges $0.24/kWh. And some CCS chargers also charge a “session fee” no matter how much electricity you use

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008

Correct, gas stations make pennies of not a penny per gallon of gas sold. Just like there is usually a diesel pump or two at a gas station, add a electric one as well.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Early tesla users do have free supercharging. Sometimes they run lifetime free supercharging for s/x for End of quarter push too. And most 3/Y owners have free supercharger miles from referrals. But even if you have to pay, tesla actually charges very minimal cost over the electric cost for charging.

its the CCS charging networks that completely go crazy with overcharging people. for example Electrify America charges $0.43/kWh in Illinois while tesla charges $0.24/kWh. And some CCS chargers also charge a “session fee” no matter how much electricity you use

Ok. Good to know. So even using a CCS charger, does that compare to gas prices? It also sounds like they might be trying to get those EVIL EV cars that don’t pay the gas tax for the roads via some kind of tax at a charger

Lightning Pro trim package

Ahh yes. The Apple approach. Can’t wait to hear people complaining about that too.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Ok. Good to know. So even using a CCS charger, does that compare to gas prices? It also sounds like they might be trying to get those EVIL EV cars that don’t pay the gas tax for the roads via some kind of tax at a charger

Ahh yes. The Apple approach. Can’t wait to hear people complaining about that too.

3rd party CCS chargers are still way cheaper than the gasoline equivalent for mileage. But some style of standard of cost should be set.

and EVs already got the shaft in IL fir not having a gas tax. The plates are $100 more a year

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
3rd party CCS chargers are still way cheaper than the gasoline equivalent for mileage. But some style of standard of cost should be set.

and EVs already got the shaft in IL fir not having a gas tax. The plates are $100 more a year

Curious as to how the $100 additional plate charge compares to average individual fuel tax paid annually

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I calculated it out with my model 3. It’s equivalent to a vehicle with average fuel economy driving almost 50k miles a year

Now to be fair the popularity of SUVs and CUVs brings down that average a lot but even compared to other vehicles in its size class it’s still like 30k miles a year of equivalent gas taxes

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I calculated it out with my model 3. It’s equivalent to a vehicle with average fuel economy driving almost 50k miles a year

Now to be fair the popularity of SUVs and CUVs brings down that average a lot but even compared to other vehicles in its size class it’s still like 30k miles a year of equivalent gas taxes

Please let me know if this is off:

25 mpg ave. for US vehicles (EPA 2021)
13,500 miles driven per year ave in US (Dept of Trans 2020)
$.39 / gal IL state fuel tax (Illinoispolicy.org 2020)

Doing the math, 540 gals of fuel consumed, which is $211 paid in IL fuel tax by the ave. Gas vehicle driver in IL.

This does not take into account county or city fuel tax (Ex - Cook county $.06 / gal and City of Chicago $.08/gal).

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Well, I will just explain battery, motor and charging. Autonomous is not an EV technology.

Batteries
They are furthest ahead of us on batteries. They dominate the world in rare earth metal production.
Last I heard they were up to 50 gigafactories, but this article confirmed they are now up to 90 gigafactories. We have 4 with a few more on the way between Tesla, GM Ford and their partners.
There are even reports indicating Europe is ahead of us as well on battery production.

Motor
China has over 400 state run companies working on EV technologies including motors. The Tesla of China, Nio, has the longest range of any production EV in the world, 621 miles.

Charging
Of course China has more charging stations. Not only have they sold more EV's then the US, they have far more charging stations.
At the end of last year, they had 1.68 million charging stations while the US hasnt even reached 100k.

Sales
Throwing this out there as well. Global EV Sales.
Europe - 42%
China - 41%
US - 2.4%

Reactions: dpwalsh14

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You’re talking manufacturing and market share.

The Nio that you’re referencing above is rated using the generous Chinese NEDC and no proof. Apples to oranges. For how much I like to rag on Tesla, they are far ahead of the competition on battery tech, software and charging network. I haven’t done much digging, but I also remember seeing that Tesla accused (or caught) China stealing technology. What’s sad is a lot of the footing that they have technology wise across many sectors is due to IP theft of American companies.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
1623978032800.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info