YouTube F#cking Youtube money - 16 yr youtuber Tanner Fox getting his 2nd GT-R.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
There's serious money to be made here doing nothing. I don't know why this is a revelation. Look at just about any reality tv star. :rofl:

But I first noticed it when my son got into Kinder eggs and I noticed some of the videos had 30 - 40 million views.

The average rate of return on Youtube videos is apparently $5 - $7 per 1000 views. So 1,000,000 views nets you $5000ish and 30 million views (like some of these unboxing videos we were watching) would net you around $50,000. Even on the super low side you'd be looking at $20,000 there.

Spend $1000 on kinder eggs or Shopkin blind bags, take a day to shoot and then just leave the videos up.

And it's funny this topic should come up. His viewing habits have changed from Kinder Egg unboxing videos to Minecraft videos and he wants to make his own. So I'm going to set up a channel for him today, just for fun.

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
what kind of niche was your ex in?

it's possible strictly views money went up (i'm sure the info is out there but feeling lazy) - facebook is in competition now for hosting vids. with a far shittier platform, outside the live thing.

i met 2 professional full time youtubers on my cheetah trip. jon watson (travel/experience videos) and hey nadine (travel videos)

She was basically a fashion blogger. Chose different "OOTDs" and told her subscribers where she bought them from, etc.

She had A LOT of fashion retailers reach out to her to push their products. A lot of them offered a good amount of money too. Two big downsides:

1) Subscribers tend to hate "sponsored" content and "sponsored" bloggers - ruins the whole point of youtube being an independent thing and all, but apparently the "independent" bloggers and their sponsors are very very clever and are good at hiding the sponsor relationship.

2) A lot of these sponsors have some non-competition or exclusivity arrangement which obviously has some consequences. These sponsors also have a lot of control over the content and format of your videos.

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
There's serious money to be made here doing nothing. I don't know why this is a revelation. Look at just about any reality tv star. :rofl:

But I first noticed it when my son got into Kinder eggs and I noticed some of the videos had 30 - 40 million views.

The average rate of return on Youtube videos is apparently $5 - $7 per 1000 views. So 1,000,000 views nets you $5000ish and 30 million views (like some of these unboxing videos we were watching) would net you around $50,000. Even on the super low side you'd be looking at $20,000 there.

Spend $1000 on kinder eggs or Shopkin blind bags, take a day to shoot and then just leave the videos up.

And it's funny this topic should come up. His viewing habits have changed from Kinder Egg unboxing videos to Minecraft videos and he wants to make his own. So I'm going to set up a channel for him today, just for fun.

It takes an insane amount of work, talent and/or luck to have a video hit 1 million views. To actually make a living as a Youtuber you need consistent and frequent content at a minimum generating tens of thousands of views for each one. Very few people can pull this off.

I challenge anyone here to try. Several years ago I used to be a serious gamer and had a channel just for fun. At most I had a few thousand views. The ones I knew personally who were the most popular had tens of thousands and still were living in their mom's basement (literally). Only a tiny handful out of the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of game channels make some money.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
She was basically a fashion blogger. Chose different "OOTDs" and told her subscribers where she bought them from, etc.

She had A LOT of fashion retailers reach out to her to push their products. A lot of them offered a good amount of money too. Two big downsides:

1) Subscribers tend to hate "sponsored" content and "sponsored" bloggers - ruins the whole point of youtube being an independent thing and all, but apparently the "independent" bloggers and their sponsors are very very clever and are good at hiding the sponsor relationship.

2) A lot of these sponsors have some non-competition or exclusivity arrangement which obviously has some consequences. These sponsors also have a lot of control over the content and format of your videos.

does she still do it? seems like she was doing really well.

It takes an insane amount of work, talent and/or luck to have a video hit 1 million views. To actually make a living as a Youtuber you need consistent and frequent content at a minimum generating tens of thousands of views for each one. Very few people can pull this off.

I challenge anyone here to try. Several years ago I used to be a serious gamer and had a channel just for fun. At most I had a few thousand views. The ones I knew personally who were the most popular had tens of thousands and still were living in their mom's basement (literally). Only a tiny handful out of the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of game channels make some money.

my videos are all just me for fun but after making some and trying to make them more watchable i can certainly appreciate the amount of editing/talent/effort that goes into making something good and watchable. i can't imagine doing something like a daily video - you'd spend half the day just working on it and that would suck. i guess when you're really big you just hire other people to do it for you though.

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
does she still do it? seems like she was doing really well.

my videos are all just me for fun but after making some and trying to make them more watchable i can certainly appreciate the amount of editing/talent/effort that goes into making something good and watchable. i can't imagine doing something like a daily video - you'd spend half the day just working on it and that would suck. i guess when you're really big you just hire other people to do it for you though.

I think she got out last year. There was too much BS for her to put up with:

1) Dozens of copycats. Everytime she would put up a vid, you'd have dozens of imitators putting up the same exact outfit and video style
2) Actual real life stalkers. You had the "fan" stalkers who would stalk her and follow her around, and then you had the rival stalkers who would dig up dirt on her and spread rumors/lies about her. The real life stalkers are scary because unlike traditional celebrities who are basically unapproachable, people view youtubers as "one of them" and "approachable" and that somehow encourages people to be even weirder. She had to delete her facebook and change her email address. Random people would follow us around and take pictures when we were outside, it sucked.
3) Deadlines. A lot of her videos had to be "approved" by either her sponsors or her management agency, and they were apparently a big pain to deal with.
4) Getting too old. Most of her fans were students/teenagers so after she graduated from school it became harder to keep up with the trends that young girls tend to like.

Basically what started off as a fun project consumed her life. She was making enough to get by on her own but not the millions it would take to make the above worth dealing with.

Probably easier if you're a guy and doing videos that guys tend to like (like cars and games) but girls who are doing beauty or fashion, they get creeped on hard.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think its pretty fucking crazy you can make money like that on Social Media. But I doubt the kid is a millionaire from it. I mean you can probably drive a car like that for less than 25K a year.

shit I am more amazed that these random sluts on Instgram have half a million followers. They post a picture of them wearing someone's bikini or drinking someone's protein shake and they making money. fuck I wish I had tits.

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
I think its pretty fucking crazy you can make money like that on Social Media. But I doubt the kid is a millionaire from it. I mean you can probably drive a car like that for less than 25K a year.

shit I am more amazed that these random sluts on Instgram have half a million followers. They post a picture of them wearing someone's bikini or drinking someone's protein shake and they making money. fuck I wish I had tits.

In reality, I'm sure those cars are being written off as business expenses :( I have a friend who does this. He makes about $500K a year doing a small business, good money but not enough to support the 458, 488, Range Rover, Escalade and the M3 he has. All tax expenses, and he basically flips them after a year.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
In reality, I'm sure those cars are being written off as business expenses :( I have a friend who does this. He makes about $500K a year doing a small business, good money but not enough to support the 458, 488, Range Rover, Escalade and the M3 he has. All tax expenses, and he basically flips them after a year.

3risbcx.jpg

I'd love to see the math here. In reality 500k is plenty enough to afford those cars. He's not writing them off though. Even as business expenses you can only write off actual mileage used or the percentage of the payment used for business, assuming the car is leased, is in the company's name and is paid for by the company. So if it's a lease with a $1000/ mo payment and you drive 20% for business, you can only write off $200 and on top of that there are limitations for luxury cars that prevent people from abusing the system.

And if he's bought them then the only thing he could do is lease them to the business which would be pointless because he'd then be paying taxes on the income from the lease or he can take the mileage deduction which would never make a dent in the cost of one of those cars. For example, let's say he put an absolutely ridiculous 5000 miles on the 488 in a year. That's a deduction of $2700 assuming all those miles were business related. That's probably not even the payment for that car for one month. That's not even a drop in the bucket for the cost of buying and insuring a Ferrari.

The only way he's writing those off enough to make a difference is if he's using them almost exclusively for business and they're registered in the company's name in which case he'd also have to have super expensive commercial insurance for exotic cars which would likely offset any savings from writing them off and add liability to the company. Otherwise it's just not happening.

I'd love to be wrong here but I'm in a similar position (though with 100% fewer exotic cars) and I've run the math backwards and forwards, talked to accountants, etc and everyone says that unless I want to use those cars for work, I'd be boned. I see people talk about writing cars off all the time though and when pushed, largely people admit that they either a) don't understand how it all works or b) admit they might have been embellishing the numbers. The only loophole that I'm aware of is the one pertaining to SUVs with a GVW over 6000lbs.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
You need to be recording, editing and uploading constantly to keep up with that lifestyle.

So basically work? They have to put time into something and they get paid for it? What's next? You want movie stars to be paid nothing? Do you want pro athletes to get paid nada? Do you want those paparazzi magazines to make zip?

The fact is that we as a society have developed so that we have sooooo much excess, these outlets are just a money suck because not everyone needs to farm 16 hours of the day and raise 15 kids...... You're whining more than an overdriven fucking supercharger....

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
3risbcx.jpg

I'd love to see the math here. In reality 500k is plenty enough to afford those cars. He's not writing them off though. Even as business expenses you can only write off actual mileage used or the percentage of the payment used for business, assuming the car is leased, is in the company's name and is paid for by the company. So if it's a lease with a $1000/ mo payment and you drive 20% for business, you can only write off $200 and on top of that there are limitations for luxury cars that prevent people from abusing the system.

And if he's bought them then the only thing he could do is lease them to the business which would be pointless because he'd then be paying taxes on the income from the lease or he can take the mileage deduction which would never make a dent in the cost of one of those cars. For example, let's say he put an absolutely ridiculous 5000 miles on the 488 in a year. That's a deduction of $2700 assuming all those miles were business related. That's probably not even the payment for that car for one month. That's not even a drop in the bucket for the cost of buying and insuring a Ferrari.

The Escalade and the Rover are his daily drivers of course.

The only way he's writing those off enough to make a difference is if he's using them almost exclusively for business and they're registered in the company's name in which case he'd also have to have super expensive commercial insurance for exotic cars which would likely offset any savings from writing them off and add liability to the company. Otherwise it's just not happening.

I'd love to be wrong here but I'm in a similar position (though with 100% fewer exotic cars) and I've run the math backwards and forwards, talked to accountants, etc and everyone says that unless I want to use those cars for work, I'd be boned. I see people talk about writing cars off all the time though and when pushed, largely people admit that they either a) don't understand how it all works or b) admit they might have been embellishing the numbers. The only loophole that I'm aware of is the one pertaining to SUVs with a GVW over 6000lbs.

I don't know how he does it, that's what he told me. He has 15 or so different corporate entities, not sure if that's what the trick is. He buys his Ferraris used, drives them less than 1,000 miles and sells them for basically the same price he bought them for. That may have something to do with what he said, which was basically he pays only a few thousand dollars a year to drive each of these cars.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't know how he does it, that's what he told me. He has 15 or so different corporate entities, not sure if that's what the trick is. He buys his Ferraris used, drives them less than 1,000 miles and sells them for basically the same price he bought them for. That may have something to do with what he said, which was basically he pays only a few thousand dollars a year to drive each of these cars.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. In many cases they don't depreciate with minimal miles over a short amount of time and in some cases they actually appreciate in value. It's just a matter of having the cash flow to afford paying for one while you have it. Kudos to him.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

My friend's dad does that. He's got around 15 cars or so. DDs an escalade for the poor weather days and then has a bunch of fun cars for when it's nice out. He's got a couple he says he'll never sell and the rest get rotated out every now and then.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
A full time job, health insurance and my family's secure future is stopping me. You need to be recording, editing and uploading constantly to keep up with that lifestyle.

It would take years to get off the ground as an adult, what some of those kids are doing. But if you let those kids fill up their days with only that, where is the time for any other type of educational or professional development.

Same with like body builders. Sure they look good and spend every minute in the gym. But they are broke jokes, riding on the coat tails of their looks. Once that fades, they are broke ass gym rats that are good for nothing but wiping my ball sweat off of the exercise bike seat.

Cant wait to see tanner's GTR in the parking lot of burger king all day while hes on his shift of flipping burgers when hes 20 years old.

Just gonna throw in my 2 cents.

My ex-GF was a youtuber several years back. Was pretty good at it and successful, over 500K subscribers. Back then it wasn't the silly money you see now, but she still got paid and was flown around the world by various sponsors and was offered all sorts of endorsements, constantly, which she had to turn down. Back then, it wasn't the google money that made you rich, it was the sponsors who got you to push their products.

I question how these current youtubers have made money based on subscriptions/views alone. I don't know if Google has improved the pay structure, but back in 2010ish, my GF with her 500K subscribers was only making tens of thousands from Google revenue. Her real money came from her sponsors.

Some other things to note:
-there are a COUNTLESS number of youtubers for basically any subject/topic imagineable. Most fail.
-in order to even have a shot at being successful at youtube, you need to spend a LOT of time editing, filming, editing, filming. It took my GF 15 hours or so of work just to produce one 10 minute video. THEN you have to read all the comments, respond, to other ancillary work like respond to emails from your sponsors, travel, attend many meetings, etc. It's a full-time job and hard work.
-you put up with A LOT of abuse. Especially from jealous rivals you create fake accounts and spam your comments section
-there are a lot of shady sponsors, companies out there that will try to get you to sign contracts early on and basically screw you over
-this is not even mentioning, you need to have some kind of appeal to the audience to succeed. Either be really attractive, have some very special access to some very cool things, have a good voice or something that makes you stand-out

The whole system basically makes it very very difficult to succeed on youtube, and the ones that have made it, they've earned it.

Think about it this way. You have untalented actors and actresses making a fortune "acting" on stupid TV shows every single day. More people use the internet now than watch TV shows. Some of these youtubers have over 1 million views for a single video. How many TV programs get 1 million viewers for a single episode? And Youtube videos do not have to pay writers, staff, cameramen, studios, broadcast fees, or any of that massive overhead. From an advertising perspective, Youtube is a fantastic platform and whatever they are paying to these youtubers is pennies compared to what they would have to pay to the studios to reach a smaller audience.

Like this dude said. Its fucking work. You arent putting something together in 5 minutes and making thousands. Its hours, days, and sometimes weeks to put together a video.

I watch the Game Theorists on Youtube. He shoots for a video every two weeks. The guy running it also helps other youtubers maximize their contents and how to draw new people. Youtube is a career now for those who want to try and do something outside Hollywood, and Hollywood is scared. People are cutting cable and turning to places like Youtube, Amazon video, Hulu, Netflix for their content. Amazon is supposedly rolling out something like Youtube, but it is meant more for people going to film school to try and put together series of shows for people trying to get known in Hollywood. That will be interesting as well to see how it works.

I get excited when I have 100 views on my videos.

When they released MGS Peacewalker on PS3, there was a Transfaring option to take your PSP game data to PS3. I made a video and threw it up about 3 days after it came out. For funsies, I looked it up. 1,216 views since 2011. :rofl:

i'm not much of a gamer these days either but i don't totally get this either. a 10 minute montage of some badass in a game i play, sure. hours watching someone else play though? i'll go play myself

Some people want to see gameplay of games they dont have, or cant play because they dont have X system, or Y computer that can run it, but anything can run Twitch. Plus if the person has a good personality, it makes it more fun. I sometimes watch Maximilion Dood cause he does fighting games, and I take notes on his and his opponents play.

Bottom line, OP is drinking some haterade. Make youtube vids for your next 4 computer builds that you will sell 3 months later and get rich like the rest of the Youtube community. :hs: /sarcasm

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So basically work? They have to put time into something and they get paid for it? What's next? You want movie stars to be paid nothing? Do you want pro athletes to get paid nada? Do you want those paparazzi magazines to make zip?

The fact is that we as a society have developed so that we have sooooo much excess, these outlets are just a money suck because not everyone needs to farm 16 hours of the day and raise 15 kids...... You're whining more than an overdriven fucking supercharger....

Of course its work, very hard work. But its also unsustainable work with unsustainable pay. Thats the fact. And thats what I have been trying to point out this whole thread. To think anyone could keep up this growing pace to please the masses, while living their kind of lifestyle is stupid.

All I have been saying is wait until the bottom drops out. Then what? GTR for sale, thats what. Then off to beg for some sort of video editing job at a local cable station because thats all you know. Sounds like a sound plan for the future.

And to see so many of you playing the "you're jealous, butthurt or whining" card is par for the course on this forum. Its my fault for how I treated most of you over the years, but man it sucks nowadays that none of us can have a real debate online here without the peanut gallery coming out and trying to bait me into an e-brawl. Well if you haven't gotten the point already, its not going to happen. If you see me post a thread, just dont waste your time to come in and fuck with me. Those days are over. And so is this thread honestly.
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] you can lock if you want, but I have nothing more to say.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Of course its work, very hard work. But its also unsustainable work with unsustainable pay. Thats the fact. And thats what I have been trying to point out this whole thread. To think anyone could keep up this growing pace to please the masses, while living their kind of lifestyle is stupid.

All I have been saying is wait until the bottom drops out. Then what? GTR for sale, thats what. Then off to beg for some sort of video editing job at a local cable station because thats all you know. Sounds like a sound plan for the future.

And to see so many of you playing the "you're jealous, butthurt or whining" card is par for the course on this forum. Its my fault for how I treated most of you over the years, but man it sucks nowadays that none of us can have a real debate online here without the peanut gallery coming out and trying to bait me into an e-brawl. Well if you haven't gotten the point already, its not going to happen. If you see me post a thread, just dont waste your time to come in and fuck with me. Those days are over. And so is this thread honestly.

[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] you can lock if you want, but I have nothing more to say.

i don't get your theory here, that it's either 1. unsustainable or 2. going to have a bottom fall out. why would playing games be unsustainable if you're good at them? or doing makeup tutorials? or whatever? i posted the AvE guy before in a thread that didn't go anywhere, but dude's personality and skills are legit - and he can take shit apart and put it back together forever. plus if these people have half a brain they will save/invest some of that money and retire at 25 if they want. i also don't know why you'd think some 'bottom would full out' of paying content creators.

the only reason they would fail is they failed to produce content people wanted to watch. i can't imagine why people want to watch 10 minutes of other people doing things for 95% of this community that even appears to succeed but whatever. it doesn't seem like it's something that is changing any time too soon.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

You know he's mad when he asks for it to be locked up :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It blows my mind that you are getting mad at people making content that people will watch and get paid for it. Dont hate the player, hate the game. If you had an idea that would draw viewers to a channel, you would quit your job and do it. I almost guarantee it. I would. Social media is a marketing skill, and if you can market yourself, a product, or a show, you can go somewhere outside youtube. Not just some local cable company. Hell one of the writers at college humor got a job for SNL. Not bad for some "net jockey".

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It blows my mind that you are getting mad at people making content that people will watch and get paid for it. Dont hate the player, hate the game. If you had an idea that would draw viewers to a channel, you would quit your job and do it. I almost guarantee it. I would. Social media is a marketing skill, and if you can market yourself, a product, or a show, you can go somewhere outside youtube. Not just some local cable company. Hell one of the writers at college humor got a job for SNL. Not bad for some "net jockey".

UNSUSTAINABLE FISH

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info