F-body fuel pump..

nmskull66

Blowing up one 3800 at a time
Reaction score
So my fuel pump took a shit on me today. Is it possible to drop the tank without having to remove the diff? Also my friend was telling me that some people cut access panels somewhere in the car (like on grand prix's that are in the trunk) but where do you cut? Last question.. Going to go with a better pump due to future plans for this car but my buddy told me to go with a automotive 340. Would that fit into a v6 sending unit ( not sure if it would be any different than a v8 unit?)

Thanks in advance!

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
99+ f body fuel pump/ tank access door - LS2 Forums

the canister looks about the same as mine if not exactly the same if it is then yes the aromotive will fit you just have to bend the filter on the end of it up of get a smaller one from the parts store, i used that pump in my grand prix and just bent the filter in an upward position to make it fit in there

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldnt. Way easier to cut a hole, plus in the future you just open a hatch to work on the fuel pump. Win win
Ditto. I put the access door in my car. Makes things MUCH easier to get to. I used a piece of sheet aluminum to cover the hole secured with screws. A bit of RTV between the two for an air tight seal, and done.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
its not bad, rack it up, drop the shocks and let the rear hang, take the exhaust down, and boom, your done. 2ish hours

and dont be a kanye and cut a hole.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Open hatch...replace pump..close hatch

Boom 45mins and barely have to do anything

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Make a nice cover for it. And depending on the rest of the car it might be a good idea to drop the tank and inspect for rust, if its metal, like I did my car. I had to put a new one in because of this

Pewter-Camaro

Reaction score
I'd just drop the tank. Seen too many stories of people that ended up cutting through the fuel lines cutting the access hole. Plus its only something that is done once maybe twice in the cars life so I see no point in cutting it just to save a few minutes.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
I'd just drop the tank. Seen too many stories of people that ended up cutting through the fuel lines cutting the access hole. Plus its only something that is done once maybe twice in the cars life so I see no point in cutting it just to save a few minutes.
Thats where i was coming from. switching to a centrifugal style pump and not a vane style would be more robust and you may never have to replace it again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom